Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DELETED

Yes, i see where you are coming from but the people in the area it wouldn't be so great if they found it. I turn large finds over to archeologists but small finds pottery/arrowheads i just leave there. It does kind of seem they are mad at me for turning it over but I know i did what was right.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

no one is mad at you coinslab. sorry you feel that way. you did what you felt was right at the time. it's just different philosophies about how to handle the things we find. i used to think the same way. but after reading the two books i mentioned i changed my opinion about it.

if you really feel that people were rough on you, i would suggest you stay out of the political section.

the only way it could have been the missing link is if there was a piece of parchment in the bowl saying "to dry here, gone to chaco for the kachinas"

lighten up and have a sense of humor, don't take me or us or yourself too seriously. after all its just the internet.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

The date could give insights. Anyhow the natives put those annoying made in Emery County stickers in it lol they really didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    Anyhow the natives put those annoying made in Emery County stickers in it.
    This reminds me... I had a friend who was making a few extra dollars by gathering several big sandstone rocks and carving petrogylphs into them and selling the rocks... he always sold them as art and never tried to pass them off as anything else..... but he finally had to start carving his name and date on the back of the rocks because folks kept turning him and his customers in for stealing artifacts.

Lol seriously? Tell him congrats for doing so well.

Everyone does have different philosophies on these kinds of things. I agree with Les and love the Outdoor Museum idea - largely because I've found Les' pot and had a great time doing it. My personal feeling is that if you find something and tell the authorities then it's a pretty safe bet that they will collect it and you will never see it again - even in a museum. If you don't tell the authorities then there is always the chance that a pot-hunter will take it but there is also the chance that it will be left alone and you, and other like-minded individuals, can visit it many, many times. I don't hold anything against those who report such finds but I personally would not.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

That is not correct, my cousins basket is in the museum so he DID see it again.

a few quick things - A. If Kevin Jones the state whatchmajmbot conclusively said that "the Fremont placed rocks around this to prevent other tribes from finding this" then I have to say I think ol' Kev there could me overstating his knowledge of anything. I suppose it's possible, but based on everything I've known about baskets/and pots found at sites, many people do exactly what your photo shows. stack some rocks in a manner which will make it less obvious to the visitor, provides some protection, and allows the more determined to find it.

B. Good on you for doing what you felt you should. When I first read the topic title, I was immediately concerned this was going to be a picture of this basket in your basement collection, and I that's something I'd have a lot harder time with then what you've done. While I am a big believer in the "outdoor museum" concept, I can understand why you called in the BLM.

C. I also recommend David Robert's books, as well as Cowboys and Cave Dwellers which is a amazing book by a local authority, and House of Rain, by Craig Childs.

Lastly - While certainly the Wetherills made PLENTY of mistakes, I'd suggest anyone who is interested in the early history of archaeology in the Four Corners region, read Anazasi - a biography of Richard Wetherill by Frank Mcnitt.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Kevin Jones doesn't work for the government. He mainly works with museums, and mainly works for range creek and he partner who is also working with me is the one that found the flute and the shovel. Anyhow, it was WAY too close to Emery Utah for me to just leave it there the people in Emery a lot of them have the concept of "finders keepers" and they put it in their collection so I couldn't have let it be stolen. As for the rocks I have read articles and it says they put the basket there while passing by (maybe they couldn't take it with) and wanted to protect it from other tribes so they placed rocks around it so they couldn't find it. + 99.99% of the people in emery county would sell the thing for $$ so I doubt they would place rocks around it.

BTW when the rocks and the basket were moved a bunch of sand fell out that only could've been collected 1000 years.

Hmmm.... I thought the first geocache was hidden in Oregon.....

Looks like it was here in Utah. Wonder what they used for a gps????

That was a real nice find. I wish I could come across something like that. All I have found is some sherds.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Yes, I have found a LOT of shards too but i left em there once even a whole pot handle and again left it there. As for the indian GPS it actually stands for gopher pillaging system. The gopher finds other indians sites they can pillage . . BTW the pot handle i found and left was made by the same culture that did Rochester Art Panel. There is a figure and a very well hidden city only I and a dead person knows about it, it's quite amazing.
    Wait wait, if the basket was Fremont doesn't GPS stand for Goshute Poisoning System ha ha

There is a figure and a very well hidden city only I and a dead person knows about it, it's quite amazing.

its not called Narnia is it?

Maybe?? I got to it from my closet I especially liked da goatmen that hopped by and the evil white cursed rabbit that lives in its ice den.
    . No there's really one there. It's pretty sweet.

BTW, the goat man could have been summit42 you deserved that one.

Re: DELETED

DELETED
    Hey coin, why did you delete this? Afraid the feds are going to come and get you?

James

No, Bclee didn't like me posting his photo. While i was trying to find his rock art panel.