Thread: Das Boot beta?

Das Boot beta?

I am wondering what conditions in das boot are like this early, does it hold snow? I have not been through it before and am heading down next week any info is apprieciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Das Boot beta?

Quote Originally Posted by ridefire
    I am wondering what conditions in das boot are like this early, does it hold snow? I have not been through it before and am heading down next week any info is apprieciated
    Reports are it has some flow in it, which makes it more difficult and more serious, but is not filled with snow.

Tom

Bogley BigShot
    Have you ever read the Das Boot Story on Tom's site?

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/boot.htm

Thanks Tom, is there a flow rate to high to do the canyon ?With next weeks temps climbing will the flow increase be pretty dramatic? I am counting on a 5mm suit to do the trick I am pretty warm blooded. I checked out the das boot story , pretty interesting.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Ridefire I bet with a flow it will be a difficult class C canyon.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Ridefire I bet with a flow it will be a difficult class C canyon.
    Das Boot has lots of very short downclimbs. When it is flowing (even a bit), those downclimbs have flow over them and get somewhat tricky because you cannot see what is happening down below.

Not real hard, but not beginner territory.

See story:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0804boot/index.htm

Tom

I would agree witht he rest of the team. Das Boot is in my opinion the is only way to start the subway. I did it last summer and it was a blast. We had on shortie wet suites and we were just fine. It is a ball of a canyon but in my own personal opinion i would wait if you can until it is warmer. It will make the rest of the subway much more enjoyable becuase you can take off your wet suite after Das Boot and just swim and play around the rest of the way down. Anytime you are dealing with flowing water it really ups the anty with difficulty and danger, but good luck to you.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Actually, I think that the best way to start the Subway is to enter well above Das Boot and do the Full Left Fork. This adds another slot above, that is as good as Das Boot, with only a slightly longer approach. Deep dark narrows, a few raps, swimming (usually). About a 10 hour hike car to car.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    I would agree witht he rest of the team. Das Boot is in my opinion the is only way to start the subway. I did it last summer and it was a blast. We had on shortie wet suites and we were just fine. It is a ball of a canyon but in my own personal opinion i would wait if you can until it is warmer. It will make the rest of the subway much more enjoyable becuase you can take off your wet suite after Das Boot and just swim and play around the rest of the way down. Anytime you are dealing with flowing water it really ups the anty with difficulty and danger, but good luck to you.

yeah i have been wanting to start at wild cat canyon trail head and head down the right fork and drop in up there but just havn't gotten around to it. but for noobie's that would be a little to much i think. i'll put that on the list for next year. maybe even drop in from Hammer head or something like that .
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

I'm planning on being in Escalante next week, but it sounds hot and dry. I may head to Zion and do a full left instead, water sounds so much more appealing. Tom, you think there will be snow in the upper reaches? Haven't done it from West Rim, only from Wildcat TH using Kelsey's approach. Nat's 10 hours is if you are experienced and move efficiently, noobs could easily take 15 or more hours. Full left is much better when full of water too. Hitting it early is best, late May early June MOST years. And be careful taking shortees into Das Boot, everyone is different but I did Das Boot with Reedus one year the day before Imlay, and Imlay potholes felt like hottubs compared to the ICE cold pools in Das Boot. It had a small amount of fresh runoff flowing through it and it was COLD! Froze our butts off in 4/3 full suits!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I'm planning on being in Escalante next week, but it sounds hot and dry. I may head to Zion and do a full left instead, water sounds so much more appealing. Tom, you think there will be snow in the upper reaches? Haven't done it from West Rim, only from Wildcat TH using Kelsey's approach. Nat's 10 hours is if you are experienced and move efficiently, noobs could easily take 15 or more hours. Full left is much better when full of water too. Hitting it early is best, late May early June MOST years. And be careful taking shortees into Das Boot, everyone is different but I did Das Boot with Reedus one year the day before Imlay, and Imlay potholes felt like hottubs compared to the ICE cold pools in Das Boot. It had a small amount of fresh runoff flowing through it and it was COLD! Froze our butts off in 4/3 full suits!
    You can also just hike it from the normal Subway trailhead. Last year, I parked the car at the normal Das Boot trailhead, and then did the full left, starting with Little Blue, through Wildcat, then through Full Left, climbing up the normal Subway exit; and getting a lift back to my car. Saves the concern about the roads up high (but does make you walk a little farther...)

I'm REALLY warm blooded, and the best I have ever done was with a 5mm Farmer John in the early season; was a little cold. If there is flow, most will want a minimum of 4/3 full suit; likely more...

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    yeah i have been wanting to start at wild cat canyon trail head and head down the right fork and drop in up there but just havn't gotten around to it. but for noobie's that would be a little to much i think. i'll put that on the list for next year. maybe even drop in from Hammer head or something like that .
    I've done full left many times from different drop in points. Through Wildcat, through Little Blue, through an unnamed canyon, and through Hammerhead. The drop in through Hammerhead is my favorite. Cool entrance to the canyon. There is some interesting terrain in Wildcat between Hammerhead and Left Fork though. (And between Little Blue and Left Fork as well.) Be careful. Can either cliff out, and/or get yourself into some time consuming pothole problems... Fun stuff for the prepared though!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I concur.

Eric Chatterley's suit was only a 3/2. I remember seeing my breath above the water.

Three of us did Das Boot from Wildcat yesterday in just under 8 hours. Wore full dry suits and glad we did. Not any significant flowing water, but lots of cold swims and deep wading. When we arrived in Subway at the first short rap, there was a group of about 12 kids wearing only shorts and singlets, going through, shivering but ok with one short rope and no harnesses.
    We stripped down after the last rap for the rest of the hike out. Very cool day.....