Thread: Ever been to Yosemite? I need some advice.

Ever been to Yosemite? I need some advice.

My wife and I are going to be traveling in September to Yosemite Nat. Park, and I need to know some things that are cool to do there. My wife isn't in great shape, and has never fully recovered from the pneumonia she had last year, so I need both some easy fun things to do, and maybe some more strenuous things for me to do myself. I'm not a rock climber, but I do enjoy good hikes, even hard ones, so keep that in mind.

Oh, yeah, I do know about the Half Dome all day hike and I'm planning on that one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In progressions from easy to hard:

Have a drink in the Awhanee! Seriously, you need to check out this Grand Dame of the NPS. She's old, but still has grace and style. Poke your head into the main dining room and check out the tree log beams in the ceiling.

Rent a raft and float down the Merced. Pack a lunch and have a picnic on one of the beaches. Have a water fight a long the way.

Drive to Tioga Pass and stroll around Tenya Lake. Feels like another world from the valley up there.

Drive to Glacier Point for the best view of Half Dome. An easy hike in that area is to Sentinel Dome and Taft Point. Can't recall the mileage off hand but there is very little elevation involved. Taft point is cool, and mostly overlooked by hikers/tourists.

Mist Trail, Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls. Expect big crowds. Not sure if your wife will be up for the round trip. If you do the Half Dome hike you'll be on this trail (unless you opt for the harder version below). Take the alternate path up/down the John Muir Trail in one direction for better vistas but less "mist".

Yosemite Falls trail. Steep, but rewarding. If you top out at the falls make sure you hunt around for the path to the very edge. The exposure will get your attention!

Hike to Cloud's Rest from Tenya Lake and then do Half Dome from "above". Longer round trip than from the valley. If your wife will shuttle you then you could go one way "downhill" to the valley. Still this is a lot of miles. We've done this as an easy backpacking trip.

Enjoy!

Oh, in Sept the waterfalls will be very low. Yosemite Falls may actually be dry. On the plus side, the high country will be free of mosquitoes.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

One more easy one: rent bikes and pedal around the valley. This would be a good way to visit the Awanhee as driving can be a headache.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

everything ststephen said. taft point is REALLY COOL!

i would also suggest the stroll throll through the maroposa grove of old sequoias. you access it from the south entrance station. nice easy walk.

another is the el cap lieback. no, it's not a rock climb. you go to el cap meadows and lie back and look for climbers up on the walls. great place for a picnic. take your binoculars.

up in the meadows you could climb cathedral peak. its an easy day climb.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    another is the el cap lieback. no, it's not a rock climb. you go to el cap meadows and lie back and look for climbers up on the walls. great place for a picnic. take your binoculars.
    Ah good one. I usually bring my spotting scope and set it up for a little while. You need to be in a friendly mood though, as you will attract lots of tourists. The scope is also fun for checking out folks on Half Dome and that railing I mentioned on Yosemite Falls.

Thanks, both of you for the tips! I sure hope Yosemite Falls isn't dry.

Yosemite Falls...I've seen it in May and June, when it's ripping. I've seen it in Sept when it is only a damp spot on the wall, no water at all. You may have better luck, but don't be surprised. Fortunately, the others will likely have a flow. When you drive to Tioga Pass, go all the way to Mono Lake. It is a special place.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Yosemite Falls...I've seen it in May and June, when it's ripping. I've seen it in Sept when it is only a damp spot on the wall, no water at all. You may have better luck, but don't be surprised. Fortunately, the others will likely have a flow. When you drive to Tioga Pass, go all the way to Mono Lake. It is a special place.
    I've actually been past Mono Lake a couple of times. Once, about 20 or so years ago, my wife and I drove through Yosemite on our way out of California, and then on that road that skirts the south side of Mono. That's some kind of cool place. Also, that road from there east for about twenty miles is like a roller coaster and fun as all get out if you hit the peaks fast.