Thread: Rope Lengths

Rope Lengths

Here's my question for today?

When heading out to do a canyon how much rope are you hauling?
    Hopefully you are hauling enough for the longest rappel and not just webbing to save weight.
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    ideally 3 times the length of the longest drop. Never a problem in groups with several people. We bring multiple ropes and spread the ropes & gear around. At least two long ones (50 -60 m and the occasional 300ft when needed) and a couple short ropes. Makes it easy to spead things up in multi rap canyons when a group can leap frog.

In a small group or solo may choose my rope length more carfully to save on weight yet still enough rope to do the canyon.

Two times the length of the longest rap. Yes, we (not me) lugged two 300 footers through Heaps, twice. I do not do the pull cord thing. Personal preference I guess. I figure if you have to have a pull cord (which you do), carry a rope that you can rap on if needs be as your pull cord. The weight is worth it and yes I carry my share.
    Life is Good

Re: Rope Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    That depends.....

If solo or as a pair we usually lug as little rope as possible.... usually length of longest rap and a pull chord... my pull chord is 6mm and I've rapped on it in emergencies...

If we have a lot of horsepower along (bunch of strong youngin's) we'll carry more rope.... or if doing a canyon with a bunch of short drops, Imlay comes to mind, we'll usually carry several short ropes so we can leap frog the rappers and speed things up....

One other item.... I prefer to carry two short ropes over one long rope.... for example.... if doing Pine Creek we'll carry two 100' ropes...

Your mileage may vary.....

It depends. The majority of the canyons I've done were beta-less. That means we didn't know how long the drops would be so we always brought quite a bit. Most of the time it was too much, but least twice we had just barely enough. Too much is always better than too little.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    It depends. The majority of the canyons I've done were beta-less.
    Yeah.... No beta is a completely different animal....

Those of you who have done Zero-G will find this amusing.... The first time we did Zero-G we had no beta..... we packed 600' of rope through the slot with us.

And the first time we did Sandthrax we had no beta... so of course we were packing a 100' rope and a 60' rope....

One more thought.... we no longer carry a bolt kit with us, even when doing new stuff.... so now we carry more rope and more webbing... YMMV