Thread: Kolob Creek

Kolob Creek

Sorry if this is redundant but I searched and couldn't find anything on the subject.

When is the earliest recommended time to do this canyon and how cold is it really? Will I suffer with a 3mm full wetsuit? I'm pretty skinny (150, 6'1")

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Kolob Creek

Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    Sorry if this is redundant but I searched and couldn't find anything on the subject.

When is the earliest recommended time to do this canyon and how cold is it really? Will I suffer with a 3mm full wetsuit? I'm pretty skinny (150, 6'1")
    Post over in the canyoneering section.

btw - welcome to Bogley!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Blog Entries
    Ah, Kolob Canyon. What a fun canyon, but very cold. I have done it in late May, July, and August and by far, the best experience was in August. PLENTY of water, water was not freezing but we were all wearing 3mm wetsuit, although we were a bit on the cold side (there was no sun that day).

Uh, you'll find some snow still, especially this year, deep in the canyon, so watch your step.

Its very long (14hours+) but if you're prepared and dress VERY warm, you'll be okay and you can do it in one day. If its your first time down Kolob, do it in two days, you'll be much happier.

BTW - 3mm right now in May, is cutting it VERy close dude, be very careful and just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Have you seen the following trip report from nearby Icebox (copied from the Yahoo group, posted a few days ago)? Note that Icebox is considerably sunnier and more open than the wettest parts of Kolob.

"Canyon: Almost immediately we encountered ice shelves from a few feet to upwards
    of 40-feet above the floor! This is angled, slippery, melting, unstable ice.
    Not hard in the open canyon, but once we reached the narrow slots the $%*# hit the fan. Section 2 has multiple tall ice shelves with thinning necks, and breaking, falling ice chunks the size of refrigerators. This required us to climb, descend, chimney, and chip away thru ice for several hours. Multiple body belays were required, and swims are not possible because of falling ice and because the exits are blocked. We had to climb over this section leading to 20-foot slippery chimney descent, a 40-foot high neck crossing (about to fall any day), and a 30-foot rappel from an ice anchor we slung (won't last long).

*Special Note: If you attempt this canyon anytime soon, be sure you are
    experienced, have climbing ability, lots of gear, and know rescue/pulley
    techniques in case someone falls through the tall ice.
    *Recommended: bolt kit, ice axes, and possibly a dry suit on top of the usual
    gear."

Besides this, yes, I think you could suffer in a 3mm wetsuit, even in midsummer in a place like Kolob. I am 5-10 and 145lbs, and I always get cold. In cold wet canyons, I go with a 3/5 farmer john/jacket + the 3mm vest that Tom Jones sells, and I still don't ever feel "warm."

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Kolob Creek

Earliest possible time is a matter of the snow conditions. This year, my best guess would be that it MIGHT be in shape on June 1. For people that have not done it before, better not go in there before July 1st.

In almost all conditions, a 3mm full wetsuit is insufficient. A 4/3 is sufficient in summer conditions, but most likely a 4/3 with a booster will be required for a skinny guy like you.

Lots of water, great canyon, take it very seriously. A canyon where I bring an extra rope (which I rarely do).

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Welcome to my friend Nate. I've tried to get him to join Bogley for the longest time. He was in the Spry TR I posted back in October.

If you would check your email I've told you I'm going to try to do this canyon this summer. May have an extra spot for you too.

Ya, it's cold. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and I shivver with a 4/3 with a 2mm shortee over the top in July, but I am a girl when it comes to getting cold. My opinion is you wait for the snow to melt (hard to know exactly when that is) and go when the flow is right (say between 3 & 5 cfs). The canyon is much different with only a trickle running through it. So fun when it's flowing nice.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Welcome to my friend Nate. I've tried to get him to join Bogley for the longest time. He was in the Spry TR I posted back in October.

If you would check your email I've told you I'm going to try to do this canyon this summer. May have an extra spot for you too.

Yeah, I finally did it. I'm about to get out of running/racing mode and into outdoor adventure mode so I started mapping out my summer. I'm assuming you got my reply to your email.

To all: thanks for the info. That icebox thing sounded intense.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Yeah, I finally did it. I'm about to get out of running/racing mode and into outdoor adventure mode so I started mapping out my summer. I'm assuming you got my reply to your email.
    For those of you that don't know we both ran in college together. Nate's got some fast wheels. Better make the 800m competitive at conference this weekend.

Look over those dates I sent if you want to do anything. Game for other weekends too & car pooling.

Bogley BigShot
    Welcome Nate... any friend of Shawns has to be a good guy.

Kolob Canyo is awesome! You are going to love it!