Thread: Singletrack..........Vernal style!

Singletrack..........Vernal style!

They have some new trails here in Vernal with more on the way! Anyway, finally got out for my first ride, a little late but what ya do..... Anyhow finally broke away for a short quick ride with my dog Harley on thursday. These trails ar west of town about halfway between Vernal and lapoint. It's called the Springfield area and they are a series of trails all linking off of each other.

For my first one of the year i did the "Flying Homer. This is a short, 4.5 mile loop, non-technical trail. This is one of the best short trails i have ridden. Total ride time was probably 1.5-2 hrs. but i had many stops along the way taking pictures so actual ride time can probably be done in 45 minutes to and hour. There is very little elevation change. Most of your gain is during the first half of the ride but is hardly noticeable.

Once you reach the half-way point you can either turn left and head back or turn right and make it a much longer ride. The one thing i've noticed about the trails here in Vernal is that they all are TIGHT, TWISTY, NARROW SINGLETRACK With excellent fluidity and rhythm throughout. One very important thing to be aware about the trails in Vernal is that they are true Singletrack, no more than 12" wide and sometimes narrower. They also do not go for divots and NO off trail riding. If you do happen to make divots PLEASE FIX THEM! Thank you

I know this TR kinda sucks but kind of in a hurry. Check this link out http://utahsingletrack.com/trailmaps.aspx. The new trails aren't in the trail guides yet, only in the Google Earth maps.

So,just let me say that if anyone is or was wondering if it would be worth making a trip to Vernal for riding, just let me sum it up in one word, TOTALLY! There is plenty of camping at or near all trailheadsand the trails are well worth checking out.

Almost forgot the pics..enjoy! http://picasaweb.google.com/jfeiro3/FlyingHomer#
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I have the group camp spot. Primative, very primative, but it has a nice fire pit and I am sure plenty of fire wood. Just say when... I am dying to go.

Coolness. One more one the list.

Here is the only pic I can find of our property down there.

Well who wants to go?

There is plenty of room, you can pitch tents or pull trailiers in. I think we have had 4 other trailers in there plus the two that are already down there. One of them is mine but I have no idea what the condition of either trailer is. They could be thrashed for all I know. I doubt it.

Water has to be brought in. And you have dig a place for fecal matter. But like I said there is plenty of firewood.

The turn off for the dirt road is on the left a couple miles past Fruitland, you can see Starvation from our property, and it is close to the Unitah Ouray Indain Reservation. I know that is aways from Vernal. But it is free.

OK - I just have to do some figuring out of days off but it looks like I might have time in June...and I'd be pulling my camptrailer along since it's closer than Moab. I'll let you know Chere'.

June would be no good!

I am going back to Moab June 1-4 then Dirt Camp in Park City 13 & 14 (soooo excited for this one) and then Zion the end of June.

I don't know where I could fit in anything else. Unless I can figure out how to be in two places at the same time. I would be a RICH girl then!

Whenever schedules can be worked out and a y'all want to plan a weekend down here let me know and we'll try to set something up. You won't be disappointed!
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!