Thread: Capitol Reef Canyons Conditions

How About Capitol Reef

Does anyone have any info on the Capitol Reef Canyons conditions? (burro, cottonwood, and fivemile washes) Are they usually accessible this time of year?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't have any current Capitol Reef information... but yes, those canyons are currently in season.

FWIW: I think Burro Wash is one of the most overlooked canyons around. If that route were in Zion it would be as popular as Mystery and Behiunin.... of course I also think Capitol Reef is the most over looked NP in the state.

Capitol Reef Canyoneering
    http://climb-utah.com/Capitol/index.htm

Kelsey's book says you can hike around from the bottom and enter, eliminating the need for a shuttle. Anyone done this before? Anyone thinking of going down there this weekend, help each other out on the shuttle?

You really want to do Burro with a shuttle... using MK's route skips some good stuff and takes all day....

With shuttle
    5 hours
    4 out of 5 stars on the cool canyon scale

MK route with no shuttle
    10 hours
    2 out of 5 stars on the cool canyon scale

I know a lot of people bitch about the Burro Wash shuttle and I'm not exactly sure why. It's as easy as the Mystery/Orderville/Narrows shuttle, both take about 2 hours to clean up at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You really want to do Burro with a shuttle... using MK's route skips some good stuff and takes all day....

With shuttle
    5 hours
    4 out of 5 stars on the cool canyon scale

MK route with no shuttle
    10 hours
    2 out of 5 stars on the cool canyon scale

I know a lot of people bitch about the Burro Wash shuttle and I'm not exactly sure why. It's as easy as the Mystery/Orderville/Narrows shuttle, both take about 2 hours to clean up at the end of the day.
    I have to disagree with Shane about this one. 2 hours to clean up at the end plus one hour to get from the bottom to the top at the beginning of the day equals 3 hours, which is what it takes to hike up the face of the reef from the bottom. It's a beautiful hike up the face of the reef, especially in the morning, with great views. I've done all three hikes this way in about 8 hours each and found them enjoyable. On the other hand, I also prefer to do Mystery/Orderville and Englestead/Orderville this way also.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    On the other hand, I also prefer to do Mystery/Orderville and Englestead/Orderville this way also.
    Nat has a good point.... if you are the type of person that enjoy's the long and pretty approach hike you will like Up the front....

But even a better route if you are this type of person.... Park at the Upper Pleasent Creek Trailhead, canyoneer down Burro Wash and than hike back up pleasent Creek. It makes a nice loop.

Note if doing this route... at the bottom of Burro not long after you cross onto BLM land (signed last time I was there). You can hike cross-crounrty along the face of the reef to Pleasent Creek. Do not hike all the way down to the Notom road.