Thread: Webbing anchors

Webbing anchors

Heres my question for tonight, the responses to my other questions have been helpful.

On my questions lets assume we are not ghosting any of these.

Have a nice ponderosa a couple of feet from the edge?

Said ponderosa is 100 ft from the edge?

Last but not least on the 100 ft, we have no webbing?

I realize there are several different ways to rig these, I am just wondering how those with alot more experience then myself would do it.

Are you wrap 2 pull one, just slinging, overhand in webbing, girth hitching etc.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Webbing anchors

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Heres my question for tonight, the responses to my other questions have been helpful.

On my questions lets assume we are not ghosting any of these.

Have a nice ponderosa a couple of feet from the edge?

Said ponderosa is 100 ft from the edge?

Last but not least on the 100 ft, we have no webbing?

I realize there are several different ways to rig these, I am just wondering how those with alot more experience then myself would do it.

Are you wrap 2 pull one, just slinging, overhand in webbing, girth hitching etc.

Mark
    OK, I'll bight...

1. Close to the edge, short rappel: use retrievable sling anchor, using 3X rope (a 2-ring sling with separate sling-puller for instance).
    2. If I have my Omnisling, I could do it with that, a little cleaner.
    3. Close to the edge, long rappel: put on a wrap-3, Pull-1 high on the tree to improve the pulling angle.
    4. 100' back, plenty of webbing: short rap = sling it short, pull rope from way back, ignore rope grooves. Better with the Omnisling.
    5. Long rap: find an anchor close to the edge. Or, sling it long, send trackrunner afterward to fetch the webbing.
    6. Long rap, no webbing: go home or go do another canyon!
    7. Long rap, no webbing: good thing I brought my omnisling. Hard to get it to work in those circumstances, but we finally got it to pull!

Tom

On #5 it probably doesn't make much difference but would you girth hitch the tree or use a overhand with a follow thru.

Since posting this I went over to your site and noticed you have put up a webbing section now. On your wrap and pull picture if you wanted to have the rapide hang over the edge and then put in a courtesy tie in up by the tree how would you tie that?

Mark

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Don't girth hitch a living tree.

If it's a long ways away from the edge I'd do it like this over a girth hitch if the tree is living & none of Tom's other methods would work for me (pic stolen from Tom's website look at the site link for beter details)

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress...web/index2.php

I had not seen page two of Tom's webbing instructions. Nice Thanks Tom. Having seen that I would not of started this thread.
    Mark

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    On #5 it probably doesn't make much difference but would you girth hitch the tree or use a overhand with a follow thru.

Since posting this I went over to your site and noticed you have put up a webbing section now. On your wrap and pull picture if you wanted to have the rapide hang over the edge and then put in a courtesy tie in up by the tree how would you tie that?

Mark
    That's an advantage of the tying the loop to the tree (blue webbing, using a re-threaded overhand on a bight). With the webbing set for retrieval, you can put a big biner on the loop around the tree, and clip the rapide in there. Last person removes the biner. All set, ready to go.

Tom