Thread: new york mountains

new york mountains

the new york mountains are in the mojave national preserve of california. they remind me a lot of the wichita mountains of oklahoma. rugged and hard to move thru, but well worth the effort. some beginning info can be found here - http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...mountains.html. if coming from vegas, nv., instead of baker, ca., head south along i-15 to the nipton road exit and from there driving access is the same. the roads are good thru here, well graded dirt any passenger vehicle can negotiate under normal conditions. the further up carruthers canyon i went the more hcv it became until blocked by a boulder after a short section requiring a serious 4 wheel rig. fourth of july canyon i did not go up very far at all due to time, but it seems the same. it is a great drive thru joshua tree forest along the flanks of the new yorks and once in the mountains theirselves it just gets more scenic. the new yorks are dotted w/ mines for the curious explorer and offers fantastic backdrop to any camping trip. there was a trickle of water in the creek as well, which i am sure dries up not long from now, and may flow more over the cooler months of winter. your likely to not see a whole lot of people out here, although on a monday i saw 2 different campers, but they were soloists.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/571561389bOscFF

from the ivanpah road

entering carruthers canyon

old mine site

on teh ridge

new york benchmark

bye...

signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pictures! Thanks for posting these.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Re: new york mountains

It looks like a nice place to hike. The rock in this photo would be especially fun to scramble around on.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Nice pictures! Thanks for posting these.
    thank you ! thats all i need, just a little appreciation now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    It looks like a nice place to hike. The rock in this photo would be especially fun to scramble around on.
    it was a lot of fun hiking. getting into the rocks can be nasty tho. that benchmark required a crawl under a chockstone and then a climb up a chimney to a 1' + crack shimmy thru and over, then some low 5th class or 4th class moves to get on the summit "block", the highest boulder of the bunch basically. and at 7500 or some odd feet it was nice and cool.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    thank you ! thats all i need, just a little appreciation now and then.
    I have spent most of the last couple of weeks indoors working, so I really can't stress enough how much I sincerely enjoyed your pictures.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5