Thread: Rose Growing advice needed.

Rose Growing advice needed.

First, sorry for gaying up the forums Iceaxe.

Ok so I have about 7-8 roses growing around the house. And i've noticed something odd and hoping for and explanation. The roses on one side of the honeysuckle grow friggin huge. The roses on the other side of the honeysuckle grow average and pitiful. Keeping in mind these roses were all planted at the same time. Do you think perhaps it's soil condition, amount of water, fertilizer, or other? Since they are in a straight line perpendicular to the sun. I feel they must all get the same amount. Since they are hooked to a drip system with half GPH and get watered exactly 7 mins every 3 days. I don't suspect its water intake. I fertilize them with rose plant food. one tsp 2x a year. So that either leaves species or soil quality. I bought them all from home depot, they are all different colors. So if it's the species I'll just rip the lamer out and replant. Soil quality.. It could be the drainage is too high in that area so I can water extra? Anyways have a look. No brown leaves or any other indications besides the size. But you notice the further north seems to determine the size of the plant. besides the lamer towards the middle. the fence is about 5 feet high, so the big ones are 6-7 feet. My climber is almost to the roof. Yet the other climber is not even above the trellace yet. the only thing they have in common is what side of the yard they reside on.

I know it's probably anal, but i'm just wanting the back yard to be orderly. You can see the grass is different colors where I've been working on removing every spot. They blend out in a couple weeks after they fill in. And then I will do a reseed and you wont see those either. Hehe.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Confirmed, anal.

It is all about the sunlight. I can tell by the location and lighting of these pictures which plants get the most sunlight throughout the day. IMO, this is why they are flourishing and the others need spit.

you have a retarded rose bush the rose bushes we have love the shade.

I know where you live now thanks to the pictures.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Dude do we need to stage an intervention here?
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Confirmed, anal.

It is all about the sunlight. I can tell by the location and lighting of these pictures which plants get the most sunlight throughout the day. IMO, this is why they are flourishing and the others need spit.
    Hehe for sure..

ok not that I'm disagreeing with you. But if you compare the shadow cast from the fence in both the left and right, you'll notice it's about a foot off the wall the entire length. And check the shadow from that purple tree. So the angle of sun penetration is exactly even the entire way. The shadows from the bigger roses are longer, but that would be because they are much much larger. What leads you to believe that the rose on one side gets more sun vrs the other? Besides of course surface area to volume ratio. It they were close together and perhaps casted a shadow on each other like a tree then I would tend to agree with you. But they arent tall enough.

But that would tend to explain why the runt of the litter is so close to the honeysuckle. That thing is super huge and probably gives it the most shelter from the sun. So your theory does hold a lot of water in that regard. I'll go out in the AM and see how much the shadows are interacting with other plants. It just seems to me like the 2nd rose would be just as affected as the last one.

you have a retarded rose bush Ne Nau the rose bushes we have love the shade.

I know where you live now thanks to the pictures. Twisted Evil lol8
    My place is very easy to find. Good thing I have a 10 pound dog to tear intruders to shreds. See i was leaning towards retarded bush too. But now i look closer I notice even the honeysuckles are different sizes (2nd bush from end). The one in the center came with the house, so not sure how long it's been there.

Dude do we need to stage an intervention here?

Curiousity rules my brain. if I can spend 8 hours a day going through 1's and 0's looking for a single script error, can I really be expected to go outside and not notice such a grievous error in my plants growing cycle?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm surprised you didn't get the police at your door with a complaint that you were taking pics of the school kids over your fence

Sounds like you have gone over every possible reason for them to be growing differently. Could it be the way the water sits. For example, are there some that the water pools up at the roots and others the water is spread out and evaporating faster and not getting as much water? Actually, why am I helping you. You get to be outside enjoying the warm weather in ST George while I am trying to soak some sun in between rain storms. Sorry, I am just jealous.
    The man thong is wrong.

My grandma would dispense with the roses, plow your grassy yard, and plant a field of potatoes (and other veggies). Heh, that's what she did to me mom's garden when she returned to Poland. Potatoes as far as the eye could see. She's old school.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I'm surprised you didn't get the police at your door with a complaint that you were taking pics of the school kids over your fence

Sounds like you have gone over every possible reason for them to be growing differently. Could it be the way the water sits. For example, are there some that the water pools up at the roots and others the water is spread out and evaporating faster and not getting as much water? Actually, why am I helping you. You get to be outside enjoying the warm weather in ST George while I am trying to soak some sun in between rain storms. Sorry, I am just jealous.
    Actually I had not considered that! Genius. I think if I dig down into each one the day before I water and find out the bigger ones have considerably more moisture content, that could provide the answer. Thanks man!

And yeah, its nice living next to a school for the unobstructed view. But those kids make a lot of noise during recess, hehe. When it gets warmer I wont even hear them with the windows closed but right now with the weather perfect it's good for a breeze to come in. Ahh well, trade offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I already turned it in last week man!

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    My grandma would dispense with the roses, plow your grassy yard, and plant a field of potatoes (and other veggies). Heh, that's what she did to me mom's garden when she returned to Poland. Potatoes as far as the eye could see. She's old school.
    I actually experienced that with my grandfather. He grew up during the depression where they didn't have enough to eat. So having large amounts of fruit trees and a garden big enough to feed his family was still important to him until he died. Even though it was just him and his wife and he ended up extremely wealthy. Guy wouldn't even buy apples unless they were on sale. I really respected that self sufficient'ness about him. Anyone who can take care of themselves, even growing potatoes for miles, is "ok" in my book. sounds like your grandma and me would get along just fine. I'd post pics of my lettuce, hydroponic cucumbers, and 8 vine vineyard, but they are small and Iceaxe already took what dignity I had left.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I already turned it in last week man!
    You should have turned it in when you stated growing Roses.

Alright that's it! I'm showing up to Bogleyfest with a roses for everyone!

I actually experienced that with my grandfather. He grew up during the depression where they didn't have enough to eat. So having large amounts of fruit trees and a garden big enough to feed his family was still important to him until he died. Even though it was just him and his wife and he ended up extremely wealthy. Guy wouldn't even buy apples unless they were on sale. I really respected that self sufficient'ness about him. Anyone who can take care of themselves, even growing potatoes for miles, is "ok" in my book. sounds like your grandma and me would get along just fine. I'd post pics of my lettuce, hydroponic cucumbers, and 8 vine vineyard, but they are small and Iceaxe already took what dignity I had left.
    My Grandfather was the same way. He had about 1.5 acre garden surrounded by fruit trees and berry bushes. Every day he had a HUGE wheelbarrow full of harvest parked on the front lawn. All the neighbors would stop and help themselves. Every Sunday he would have the bishop announce that he had way too much going to waste and everyone needed to take some.

I once helped him "improve the soil" to the tune of 6 dump truck loads of cow shit which took me three long days of wrestling the most arcane rototiller known to man around his garden.

He was legally blind for years but could tell exactly when it was time to pick anything.

Half of Kaysville could have survived a nuclear winter with what was bottled in his basement.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Your short rose bush is getting shaded out by your other shrub.