Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rappel on Webbing?

Rappel on Webbing?

Last nights question was how to tie a piece of webbing to a rope. Tonight the question is, has anyone ever rappelled on webbing in a dire situation and if you have how did it work out? Or would you go down the webbing like a ton of bricks?

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have tried it several times just for practice, it was fast but worked alright, just need to take it slow.

I have used webbing to creat anchors, but you would have to have a real long pice to repel off of it. That probably is not the responce you were looking for.
    "I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ridefire
    I have tried it several times just for practice, it was fast but worked alright, just need to take it slow.
    Welcome to bogley. How far did you rappel?

We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop. Other than for that reason listed above, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop.
    Double or Single strand?

Yeah, I agree with Scott. I'v rapped off of webbing (1 inch) a few times, always less than about 18ft, and it worked pretty well. Both single and double, with an ATC.

Nat

We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop. Other than for that reason listed above, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

always 20 feet or less, single strand with a pirahna

Bogley BigShot
    Welcome new canyoneering person

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    You might want to check out those rope bag thingees - a lot people seem to like em.

(wink wink)

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefire
    always 20 feet or less, single strand with a pirahna
    Of course, part of the problem is setting up your rappel for the proper friction. Since we *rarely* use webbing for rappels, it's hard to guess the right way to set it up to get the right level of friction. Make a guess, takes your chances. On a short rappel, you can probably muscle it out if you guessed wrong.

Das Boot, 8' rappel into a pool, doubled 1" tubular, overhanging from the start, after my partner dropped the rope. First time I set it up with WAY too much friction, swung over the edge and could not get it to move. Muscled my way back up, and reset with less friction.

T

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    rapped about 25' in Camp 5 creek. I use a figure 8 and it was difficult to keep the webbing from twisting on itself and locking up in the device. I'm guessing a tube device might be more friendly for rapping on webbing.

We followed a set of summer rangers throught the subway 3 years ago. They didn't carry a rope and rappelled each time on green khaki piece of webbing. I didn't notice if they used figure 8's or ATC's but my guess is ATC's.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pup
    They didn't carry a rope and rappelled each time on green khaki piece of webbing.
    AHA--now we're getting somewhere......... I used tan.

Have rapped off webbing several times. Once in an emergency, and several times just to play and see what happens. 40 feet was longest rappel. Tube style (ATC) works better than a figure 8, but both can work in a pinch. Seemed to be less friction, but managable in both devices.

Having the webbing flip around and contort happened in both devices, binding seemed more a more likely result in the 8; but it never bound up in either device for me. Because of the flipping/contorting, it was harder to make a smooth rappel; but in an emergency, can definitely be used...

YMMV

Re: Rappel on Webbing?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Tonight the question is, has anyone ever rappelled on webbing in a dire situation and if you have how did it work out?
    I have rappeled on webbing dozens of times for different reasons. It works amazing well. If I remember correctly I have rappeled webbing using the following devise with no big problems... Figure 8, ATC, B-52, ATC XP Pro. I would rate descent speed on 1" webbing to about equal with an 8mm rope. Webbing is not as smooth as a rope as the rap device bounces over the twists.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    You might want to check out those rope bag thingees - a lot people seem to like em.

(wink wink)

Tom
    I am a rope bag thingee lover. and quit winking at me......

I have also rapped from webbing. I like rope.
    Life is Good

Rapped out of Heaps on 1 inch webbing...scary as hell...wouldn't recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    300' of 1" webbing?!?!?

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    how many feet of webbing did you have?????
    Life is Good