Thread: knot?

knot?

what knot is recomended for tying webbing and rope together?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Webbing is a water knot. I thought Tom had something on his website, but a quick browse didn't find it. Just search for webbing water knot on google, and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of info.

Ropes, I like to use a double EDK (European Death Knot); basically two overhands. The second one stops the first from flipping, which could cause it to come undone; hence the Death part of the name...

Tom has a tip on that one:
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/tech/tying.php

I like it because the knot rolls away from the surface, so it tends to jam less than other methods. (Fishermans, rethreaded 8, etc.)

Hope that helps,
    A.J.

Maybe I needed to be more precise. When tying a piece of webbing to a rope to lengthen a pull cord.
    Mark

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought that was a pretty basic question coming from you...

I still use a double EDK; I just make sure I have a long enough (>4 inches) tail. Have used double/triple Fishermans as well. Since it's just a pull cord, I hadn't ever been concerned about it slipping.

Would be interesting to play with a double sheet bend with backup knots as well. (I use the double sheet for different sized ropes.)

If you know you are going to need to be cranking on this thing (which then I'd focus your energy to finding a better pull location), you could tie a figure 8 on a bight, and then do a rethreaded water knot through that loop. Or attach them with a biner in-between.

Depends on the scenario I'd say...

Hope that helps,
    A.J.

I have been adding webbing for the pull down alot lately and none of the knots seem to dress very nicely. We have been using the double edk also, but just wonder if there was some cool knot. There is no life on the line but if the knot came loose PROBLEM!

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    I have been adding webbing for the pull down alot lately and none of the knots seem to dress very nicely. We have been using the double edk also, but just wonder if there was some cool knot. There is no life on the line but if the knot came loose PROBLEM!
    Yeah, they definitely don't dress nicely, but I haven't ever been concerned that they would slip through. The cleanest method I know of, and likely the safest, would be to make two loops (8 on the rope, rethreaded water loop on the webbing) tied together. Takes longer to do though...

Will be interesting to see if there are other knots/methods out there...

So lets say you needed to be the anchor on the ground. Of your listed choices what would you use?

Strange things are going on, I only got half of your above post the first time and then after i posted your whole answer was there. So disregard the above question.

Maybe I needed to be more precise. When tying a piece of webbing to a rope to lengthen a pull cord.
    Mark
    Try using a single or double sheet bend. A sheet bend is used to tie two ropes of un-equal diameter together, however is (was) very useful to tie the main sheet to a cloth (sail) when the clew pulled out.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    So lets say you needed to be the anchor on the ground. Of your listed choices what would you use?

Strange things are going on, I only got half of your above post the first time and then after i posted your whole answer was there. So disregard the above question.
    Loop to loop is OK, but I worry about one loop sliding on another loop. So, complicating the intersection into a square knot gives me the warm fuzzies. In this case, I used a Figure 9 on a Bight for the Pull cord, then a re-threaded overhand on a bight for the webbing, and when I run the webbing end through the bight of the pull cord, I make it into a square knot.

More knots at: http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/

T
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If I was on the ground being an anchor, I'd use the two loops method, but connected with a locking biner (assuming the pull is clear so I'm not worrying about the knots or biner jamming on the pull.) In general, it's better to not have rope against webbing, even though the friction of the loops would likely be minimal due to the friction of the rope going up and through the anchor.

Tom's method is good too, since it minimizes movement of the loops; likely good enough for all situations you would run into in the field...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    In this case, I used a Figure 9 on a Bight

T
    Yo Moses, I mean Tom. Are you using the Figure 9 because it unties more easily or is there another reason for the 9 and not the 8? Curious.....
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    In this case, I used a Figure 9 on a Bight

T
    Yo Moses, I mean Tom. Are you using the Figure 9 because it unties more easily or is there another reason for the 9 and not the 8? Curious.....
    Yup. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.