Thread: temporary closing of Zion Narrows: whitewater rescues

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

temporary closing of Zion Narrows: whitewater rescues

Notice they are using Tanya's pic

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6294954

Multiple rescues prompts temporary closing of Zion Narrows
    April 27th, 2009 @ 4:40pm
    ZION NATIONAL PARK -- Due to a number of boating rescues the National Park Services has temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to whitewater boating.

Over the weekend of April 25th and 26th, Park rangers performed multiple boating rescues from the Zion Narrows and associated canyons.

Five boating parties planned one day trips through the Narrows on April 24th and 25th. Four of the groups spent unintentional nights in the Narrows. Two groups lost boats and required assistance to complete their trips.

One kayaker was washed under a log jam but was not trapped by the hazard and was able to safely reach the river bank. His boat was lost downstream. After spending two nights in the Narrows, he was rescued by a passing boating party.

Two kayakers attempted to climb out of the Narrows after losing a kayak. They were able to climb 800 feet above the river level before they were unable to climb up or down. They were eventually rescued with the use of a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park.
    Superintendent Jock Whitworth temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to boating while the cause or causes of the multiple incidents are investigated.

During the spring snowmelt runoff season, the flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River is high enough to allow for whitewater kayaking, but a backcountry permit is required.

Whitworth says an unusually high number of permits were issued for the weekend.

Park rangers are trying to determine why there was such a large number of requests and why so many boaters underestimated the difficulty of the route.

When the causes are determined and appropriate actions taken, the Narrows will reopen as long as flows remain high enough.

The National Park Service reminds boaters to plan for unintended overnight stays and emergencies.

Rescue in the Narrows, or in Zion National Park, is never guaranteed. Rescue in the Narrows, if possible at all, will be significantly delayed due to the inherent dangers and risk to rescuer's safety.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zion Narrows Temporarily Closed to Whitewater Boating April 27, 2007
    For Immediate Release
    Bonnie Schwartz 435 772-0172
    Ron Terry 435 772-0160

Over the weekend of April 25th and 26th, 2009, Zion National Park rangers performed multiple boating rescues from the Zion Narrows and associated canyons. During the spring snowmelt runoff season, the flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River is high enough to allow for whitewater kayaking, but a backcountry permit is required. An unusually high number of permits were issued for the weekend. Due to the multiple rescues that occurred over the weekend, the Zion Narrows is temporarily closed to whitewater boating.

Five boating parties planned one day trips through the Narrows on April 24th and 25th. Four of the groups spent unintentional nights in the Narrows. Two groups lost boats and required assistance to complete their trips. One kayaker was washed under a log jam but was not trapped by the hazard and was able to safely reach the river bank. His boat was lost downstream. After spending two nights in the Narrows, he was rescued by a passing boating party. Two kayakers attempted to climb out of the Narrows after losing a kayak. They were able to climb 800 feet above the river level before they became cliffed out, unable to climb up or down. They were eventually rescued with the use of a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park.

Superintendent Jock Whitworth has temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to boating while the cause or causes of the multiple incidents are evaluated. Park rangers are focusing on the reason for a dramatic increase in permit requests and why so many boaters underestimated the difficulty of the route. When the causes are determined and appropriate actions taken, the Narrows will reopen as long as flows remain high enough.

All boaters are encouraged to realistically evaluate the arduous Class V route, utilizing a variety of information sources to plan their trip. Boaters are also reminded to plan for unintended overnight stays and emergencies. Rescue in the Narrows, or in Zion National Park, is never guaranteed. Rescue in the Narrows, if possible at all, will be significantly delayed due to the inherent dangers and risk to rescuer

Bogley BigShot

Nice picture Shawn... you have a good eye! I thought they are suppose to ask, not just take them.

I even even almost read on the bottom right where it says Photo by Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Nice picture Shawn... you have a good eye! I thought they are suppose to ask, not just take them.

I would send them an email and demand a link back to your site for using the photo. They didn't even credit you under the photo. Lame...

Bogley BigShot
    Good Idea

I LIKE links!!!!

If you click the photo you can enlarge the picture

Bogley BigShot
    Does that count as credit

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Shawn for showing me the photo and everyone for the suggestions!

Email I just got

The link was added to the story.

Thank you,

Graydon Johns

KSL.com News Director

gjohns@ksl.com

801-575-5572

Thanks Shawn for showing me the photo and everyone for the suggestions!

Email I just got

The link was added to the story.

Thank you,

Graydon Johns

KSL.com News Director

gjohns@ksl.com

801-575-5572

Narrows in Zion National Park reopening

The Associated Press
    Salt Lake Tribune

ZION NATIONAL PARK

Zion Narrows reopened to kayaking
    [i]Recreation

Bogley BigShot

Re: temporary closing of Zion Narrows: whitewater rescues

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

Multiple rescues prompts temporary closing of Zion Narrows
    April 27th, 2009 @ 4:40pm
    ZION NATIONAL PARK -- Due to a number of boating rescues the National Park Services has temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to whitewater boating.

Over the weekend of April 25th and 26th, Park rangers performed multiple boating rescues from the Zion Narrows and associated canyons.

Five boating parties planned one day trips through the Narrows on April 24th and 25th. Four of the groups spent unintentional nights in the Narrows. Two groups lost boats and required assistance to complete their trips.

One kayaker was washed under a log jam but was not trapped by the hazard and was able to safely reach the river bank. His boat was lost downstream. After spending two nights in the Narrows, he was rescued by a passing boating party.

Two kayakers attempted to climb out of the Narrows after losing a kayak. They were able to climb 800 feet above the river level before they were unable to climb up or down. They were eventually rescued with the use of a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park.
    Superintendent Jock Whitworth temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to boating while the cause or causes of the multiple incidents are investigated.

During the spring snowmelt runoff season, the flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River is high enough to allow for whitewater kayaking, but a backcountry permit is required.

Whitworth says an unusually high number of permits were issued for the weekend.

Park rangers are trying to determine why there was such a large number of requests and why so many boaters underestimated the difficulty of the route.

When the causes are determined and appropriate actions taken, the Narrows will reopen as long as flows remain high enough.

The National Park Service reminds boaters to plan for unintended overnight stays and emergencies.

Rescue in the Narrows, or in Zion National Park, is never guaranteed. Rescue in the Narrows, if possible at all, will be significantly delayed due to the inherent dangers and risk to rescuer's safety.
    I like that photo I took of you in Mystery better than this one, but I have never updated the photos on that canyon for the media to find. I need to do that!

[quote=Iceaxe]Zion Narrows reopened to kayaking
    [i]Recreation
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Bogley BigShot
    Wow! Cool Photo!

Yes it looks like fun. I want to do it. But know you need the proper skills like Bo mentioned before considering.

Someone posted on the yahoo canyons group a link to another forum that has a first hand account of someone that had to spend the night in the narrows.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ows-24148.html