Thread: When's a good time to camp?

When's a good time to camp?

We're planning an end of the school year camping trip with some friends. We're thinking around Vernal/Dino National Monument or even Around Moab area (Sand Flats.) But I really want to know when is a good time to go up to Nebo or even the West desert. I know Moab and Vernal would jus bet fine around this time of the year. But about Nebo or a more Northern area. We plan on having some girls and guys who don't camp much so keep them in mind when you help me out. Thanks guys. I would prefer to camp around the Salt Lake area.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: When's a good time to camp?

I would say that Mt Nebo is best climbed toward the end of the summer when there is little to no snow on the top. I am not even sure if the Nebo Loop Road is open before Memorial Day.

Moab would be great. I prefer San Rafael of Escalante area because the people are more spread out. I have only been to the Vernal area a couple of times, but there should be some great places to camp as long as you stay out of the higher elevations.

The West Desert in May is the last best kept secret in the Utah outdoors. This is that short time of the year where you can still find some green and the temps are not that hot. Thing is that the places are spread out along empty dirt roads. You need good cars and maps to find the sweet spots. May would be a great time to climb Notch Peak. Should be only a little snow in the gully toward the top. Great camping can be found in Miller Canyon and in the Amasa Valley, if you have 4X4.

http://www.redrockadventure.com/hiki...notch_peak.htm

James

Why you not plans to go to abroad. maybe you can find out any inspire nature and people, that you can share at school.
    My personal Blog about outdoor activities
    http://basicpack.blogspot.com

There are a lot of alpine areas in the west desert! if you can get into them camping is good out there all summer!

Camping is good at any time as long as you are prepared for the weather in the area.. I just got back yesterday from a trip around the GSL. West desert was still chilly at night, Sawtooth up north was perfect temps and then camping near Golden spike area was great too.

ANYTIME is a great time for camping. As long as you're prepared, you're in for a great time. Prepared or not, you're still in for some good memories. My wife and I have camped in pretty much every month except for December and February -but we'll get those ones too!

Asking when is a good time to camp is advertizing that you're a rookie.
    Asking when is a good time to camp at (location here) with first-timers (or other constraints you have) shows that you know how to ask the right questions.

Vernal- about June 1st.
    Moab- late April- mid May , or September/October
    West Desert- go now!

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker

Asking when is a good time to camp is advertizing that you're a rookie.
    Asking when is a good time to camp at (location here) with first-timers (or other constraints you have) shows that you know how to ask the right questions.
    I disagree.. it is more asking when is a good time to camp (location here) with the following type of weather and (other constraints here)..

I have camped at -8 in southern utah in February and loved every minute of having a campfire that wouldn't even melt the snow under it :)

anyhow give some more specifics as to what you are looking for some of us are freaks and will camp any time of the year any where just because any night under the stars is a better night than under a roof :)

i have always thought a good time to camp was no later than a 1/2 our before it gets dark. if you wait longer than that you will find that you have walked past many good spots and end up camping where ever you are. often in the middle of the trail.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i have always thought a good time to camp was no later than 1/2 before it gets dark. if you wait longer than that you will find that you have walked past many good spots and end up camping where ever you are. often in the middle of the trail.
    Good one and so true.
    Life is Good

i have always thought a good time to camp was no later than a 1/2 our before it gets dark. if you wait longer than that you will find that you have walked past many good spots and end up camping where ever you are. often in the middle of the trail.
    Ok you win..

This one time, in the Paria Canyon... Yup, done that! Only reasonable spot was smack dab in the middle of the trail!

The Nebo Loop Road (scenic byway) is a nice trip but I cant find if it's gonna be open.
    http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2012/stories/47122

The Vernal area is warmer and you can camp at Red Fleet St. Pk.
    http://www.utah.com/stateparks/red_fleet.htm
    Red Fleet is on my list of favorite places to camp.

Manti Community Campground is another favorite with lots of potential.
    http://www.publiclands.org/explore/s...esults&id=1157

...If Spruces opens up then head up there.