Thread: Anyone interested in climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon

Anyone interested in climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon

I'm just looking for new people to climb with, I don't know many climbers unfortunately. I actually only have a harness right now, but I'm strong and want to improve. Let me know

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Give us more info. What is your expierence level? What grade do you lead, what grade do you follow? Have you led? Looking for sport or trad or just starting out and don't even know the difference between the two? I am planning on climbing a lot this summer and am always looking for partners.

Well, I guess I can climb around 5'7 easily, maybe 5'8, I'm pretty new in the sport, but I know how to belay, work the equipment, etc. I'm probably around an intermediate climber. I don't have equipment. I'm just trying to get into the sport. You would not be teaching me much if you climbed with me, unless if your expert, but I'm guessing I'll be hearing from intermediate and lower climbers.
    Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by reubencousin
    Well, I guess I can climb around 5'7 easily, maybe 5'8, I'm pretty new in the sport, but I know how to belay, work the equipment, etc. I'm probably around an intermediate climber. I don't have equipment. I'm just trying to get into the sport. You would not be teaching me much if you climbed with me, unless if your expert, but I'm guessing I'll be hearing from intermediate and lower climbers.
    Not to pick this apart too much, but...if you don't have gear, have you led any climbs?

Because, if you don't lead, then you might be more of a beginner, no matter the grade you can TR or follow. But, hey, lets find out...

What 5.7's have you climbed "easily"? Have you climbed/led Steorts Ridge? Layback Crack? Nice Little Crack? Jig's Up? Jam Crack on Mule Hollow? Standard Ridge? Those are all 5.5 and 5.6 routes, which, if you're solid on 5.7, then I'd assume you could hike these all on lead.

Can you lead Outside Corner on the JHCOB wall? How 'bout the Second East Face on the same wall? Tax Evasion on Penitentiary Wall?

Do you know how to escape a belay? What system do you use?

Have you belayed without an ATC type device or Gri Gri (or any autolocker)? Ever rappelled using only the rope?

Could you build a bomber anchor that would protect for a fall in any direction?

Do you know what "back clipping" and/or "z clipping" is?

Do you know how to equalize an anchor? Know what a "sliding X" is? When would you use one?

Could you raise or lower an injured partner? What system? What gear?

Ever done a multi pitch climb?

What does it mean to "redirect a belay"?

What's a factor 2 fall and how do you prevent it?

Ever caught a lead fall?

Describe how you belay (ie, palm up, down, match rope or not, etc).

Just kind of curious what an "intermediate climber" is....

-Brian in SLC

If you