Thread: Bill Orton dies in ATV accident

Bill Orton dies in ATV accident

BREAKING NEWS: Former Congressman Bill Orton dies in ATV accident
    April 18th, 2009 @ 10:00pm

JUAB COUNTY -- The Juab County Sheriff confirms that former Utah Congressman Bill Orton, 60, was killed in an ATV accident at Little Saraha Sand Dunes Saturday afternoon.

Sheriff Alden Orme says it happened around 4 p.m. He says Orton was riding a large ATV down a steep sand dune when the vehicle apparently flipped and landed on top of him. Another rider discovered him a short time later.

A West Juab ambulance and Air Med responded, but Orton was pronounced dead at the scene. Orme says Orton was with a group of people at the dunes, but was by himself when the accident happened.

Orton, a Democrat, represented Utah's 3rd Congressional District from 1991 to 1997. His election in November 1990 was big political news because he was a Democrat and won in what many considered the most Republican district in the nation. It was a convincing victory; he defeated Karl Snow by 22 percentage points. He was easily re-elected in 1992 and 1994.

Orton was born in North Ogden, had a law background, and served on a number of committees in the House of Representatives dealing with the budget, small business and banking.

Orton lost his bid for a fourth term when Republican Chris Cannon narrowly defeated him in 1996.

When he left office, Orton returned to practicing law. He also ran for governor at the peak of Mike Leavitt's popularity and had a strong campaign, but lost the election.

More recently, during last summer's presidential campaign, Orton provided regular commentary and blogs here on KSL.com.

Orton is survived by his wife and two sons. His wife, Jacquelyn, posted a message on the Internet site Facebook that reads, "I must go meet my children, who were with their father, in Provo as quikly as possible. Please excuse the crassness of this announcement. Please keep us in your prayers."

Colleagues saddened by Orton's death

Congressman Jim Matheson, D-Utah:

"This is a great loss to our state. Bill carried a strong commitment to serving the people of Utah with him to Washington D.C. He was a true Westerner with the independence that Utahns value in their elected officials. Even today, in the part of my district that was once part of his, people remember his efforts on their behalf. I extend my deepest sympathies to Jacqueline and their boys. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time."

Wayne Holland, Utah State Democratic Committee Chair:

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. Bill's death is a huge loss to the Democratic Party. He was an incredible example of someone who wanted to do good, defeat the odds and win. He was one of the shining examples of the Democratic Party and he will be greatly missed."

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah:

"I am saddened by the passing of Bill Orton. My best goes to the Orton family. He was far too young. I lived in Utah County when he was first elected to Congress. He will be missed. He served with honor and his family should be most proud of his service to his country and the state of Utah."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6204454
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, that's awful.

Those dunes seem to have a lot of deaths every year.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log