Thread: Muslim father orders daughter killed over short skirt

Muslim father orders daughter killed over short skirt

http://www.mosnews.com/society/2009/04/13/shortskirtt/

13 Apr, 01:29 PM

A Muslim resident of Russia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If only she had worn a long jacket...

I speak out and put a lot of blame on religion for the shit they pull, especially christianity (because they are close and the shit they pull actually affects me) but I gotta say; I'm glad this kind of shit is in christianity's past and not still in practice.
    Silly muslims, bare knees aren't even the dirty parts; wait to stone women in bikinis cause that makes sense.

And as long as we're talking about muslim women, did you see this at msnbc.com this morning?

[i]Violence flares at protest over Afghan sex law
    Women hit by stones at rally against law critics say legalizes marital rape

The Associated Press
    updated 6:35 a.m. MT, Wed., April 15, 2009
    KABUL - A group of some 1,000 Afghans swarmed a demonstration of 300 women protesting against a new conservative marriage law on Wednesday. The women were pelted with small stones as police struggled to keep the two groups apart.
    The law, passed last month, says a husband can demand sex with his wife every four days unless she is ill or would be harmed by intercourse

It sure is easy to see why people without religion would criticize those of us who are religious. So many crazy things are done due to people being extreme in their religious beliefs.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

How do you know Don doesn't have religion?????? Believe in God, higher power, Buddha, or whatever else

Alex- I can only assume your question was to me, but I didn't say anything about Don.

Ya it was, I assumed your response was to Don, I apologize for my harsh response

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    How do you know Don doesn't have religion?????? Believe in God, higher power, Buddha, or whatever else
    Oh, I don't; Atheist. I like the term non-theist better because the word atheist, as it is commonly understood, seems to indicate an explicit knowledge that god (or gods) fail to exist. I have no explicit knowledge either way but the any empirical data pointing toward the existence of an all powerful being that intervenes in daily life on my behalf (or even on the behalf of his righteous followers) fails to exist. So I chose to live my life under the assumption that he also fails to exist. Of course this is just a theory, and not really even my theory; any empirical data found to be pointing toward the existence of a god will happily be considered and weighed against all that has lead to my current theory.

Thanks though.

Nope. My comments were legitimate and if they were directed "towards" anyone, it was the religious worshipers. I don't understand how so many people from so many religions have done so many horrible things when their religions supposedly advocate peace.

I am a religious person and I honestly try to live my life better because of my religion but I'm sure these people who would kill their family in the name of falling short on their religions are also probably trying to be good people in their minds. It really is frightening.

Zealots come in lots of forms, not just religious.

I prefer a certain level of moderation. The kind that can read those passages of the Bible that recommend "stone thy neighbor" for various offenses and actually consider "perhaps not today".

I see plenty of non-religious Zealots. Just look at the Rev.

There is a point where this guy stopped being a good father concerned for his daughters well being and became Zealot.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan

I prefer a certain level of moderation. The kind that can read those passages of the Bible that recommend "stone thy neighbor" for various offenses and actually consider "perhaps not today".

True, there are other kinds of zealots, but when was the last time a die-hard-atheist evolutionary biologist (even a zealous one who publishes anti-religious books and speaks publicly about the dangers of religion) had his daughter killed for some moral transgression?

There is a point where this guy stopped being a good father concerned for his daughters well being and became Zealot.
    True.

Instead of blaming religion in general, I'm going to take the more logical side and say this father should be strung up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan

True, there are other kinds of zealots, but when was the last time a die-hard-atheist evolutionary biologist (even a zealous one who publishes anti-religious books and speaks publicly about the dangers of religion) had his daughter killed for some moral transgression?

True.
    Well, Jeffery Dahmer was an Athiest. He apparently accepted Jesus just before someone sent him one quest to verify which was which.

There are lots of exceptions to every rule.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Personally I believe there are at least at least equally likely to be bad people as religious people, but the difference in my mind is that the atheists are not hypocrites. They are not attending church once a week preaching about peace and love and then killing their families. Atheists seem to believe that you get one go around and you need to make your life as good as you can. Some use that philosophy to try and be kind and great their only time through and others are not as concerned with "wrong or right" and just do for themselves (which are the ones that give atheists such a bad name).

When it comes down to it, I would rather that every religious fanatic that tried to kills others for their religion be atheists and every bad person who is an atheist have religion and a greater understanding of their consequences.

holy crap! MOSNEWS is back? i thought they folded a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    When it comes down to it, I would rather that ..... every bad person who is an atheist have religion and a greater understanding of their consequences.
    I cut out the part about wanting bad religious people to be atheists (maybe to give them a better-deserved "bad name"? To protect their religion from a "bad name"? Not sure... Seems to me that atheists don't give themselves a bad name - religious people do. But I digress.)

The quoted text above is the portion I want to concentrate on. I totally agree with this sentence except for two words: "religion and". My version of this sentence would be:
    When it comes down to it, I would rather that every bad person who is an atheist have a greater understanding of their consequences.
    I assume that the consequences you refer to are the consequences that the immoral actions (of said "bad atheists") wreak upon their victims. Not the consequences that will be inflicted on the atheists when they get their comeuppance in the sweet hereafter.

To elucidate:
    When it comes down to it, I would rather that every immorally acting person (whether atheist, theist, deist or whatever) have a greater understanding of the consequences that their actions have on others.
    Kind of stating the obvious, isn't it? But sometimes we atheists have to do so: "Yes, I believe in right and wrong, in moral behavior." (I, by the way, am very comfortable with the word atheist. It means what it says - I don't believe there is a god. I'd even go farther, and say that I believe there isn't a god. But we get into semantics - for either of those statements, the fundamental doctrines of the three great monotheisms say I deserve a bloody good stoning.)

To the subject at hand:
    Despicable behavior, lent a veneer of respectability (in the eyes of some equally despicable co-religionists) by the populist tenets of a shared belief system. Awful.

Jeffery Dahmer said he didn't feel bad about the things he did since he had no accountability (like to God in the afterlife).

But apparently even having that accountability doesn't stop people from doing horrible things to each other.

Let me just reiterate especially to you Kev that I mean no disrespect in anything I have said in this post to atheists. All I mean to say is that I wish the small percentage of atheists who's lack of a belief of any sort of consequences for their actions after this life would find religion in hopes of them improving as citizens in the community. Likewise I wish that the religious extremists who cause harm to others in the name of their God were the ones with no God in hopes of them being more peaceful.

All I was trying to say was that reading stories like this I can absolutely see why so many people hate religion and I wish people in general were just better people. Yes, my statement about wish people were better is an obvious one, but that doesn't make it any less true.

I think so too. BTW--do you think because a religious person has supposed high moral standards and fails to live up to them that he or she is a hypocrite? Because a hypocrite is one who professes high standards and has no intention of living up to them. There's a difference.

There have been more than a few books written on the subject of morality without fiction, but of course if you have morality given to you by god there