Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twitter

Twitter

I just went to twitter to see what the BFD is about... my god, how is that site so popular?

It's filled with useless updates from people who think their lives are so interesting that everyone should know that they are "getting a cup of coffee!!!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Agreed. Useless/pointless/boring
    The man thong is wrong.

it is very usless... i just use it for my website so visitor can see what i'm up to. I mostly just use it to drive traffic to my website.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

twitter is a spammers dream.....

I am currently sitting nakid at my computer posting on a website called Bogley.com.

Twitter is a top 50 website right now and climbing fast. Some peeps used to say the same things about Facebook being useless...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Facebook being useless...
    ...which it pretty much is.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Facebook being useless...
    ...which it pretty much is.
    Agreed. Useless stuff is popular.

twitter shitter:
    One who tweets, or posts to Twitter, while shitting. This was originally used in webcomic Penny Arcade on April 23, 2008.
    Man, while I was taking a dump today, I was twittering from my phone, I must be a twitter shitter.

From the Urban Dictionary

Does twitter allow pictures along with tweets?

"According the study, which was conducted by doctoral candidate Aryn Karpinski of Ohio State University and her co-author Adam Duberstein of Ohio Dominican University, frequent Facebook users typically spend less time studying and receive lower GPA scores than students who do not use the service at all."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16309...ot_likely.html

I do not like how Facebook has become so much more like Twitter. I would like to go back to how Facebook was a year ago.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I think the usefulness is a measure of how you use it.

I like facebook for keeping up with my immediate family.
    I do not have hundreds of random friends on it, just the family.

It keeps us in touch much better than phone or email did.
    Of course I don't post on it 10 times a day and neither does anyone else
    in the family.

I couldn't see the value in SMS until I got an iPhone so go figure.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

It's all about automation. Have the RSS feed from your site automatically update twitter, in turn it updates facebook automatically.

I've got several accounts on each, for different purposes, but I'm not all giddy about it either. I just use it because it's the only way to contact certain people without calling them.

Re: Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I just went to twitter to see what the BFD is about... my god, how is that site so popular?

It's filled with useless updates from people who think their lives are so interesting that everyone should know that they are "getting a cup of coffee!!!!"

Does this mean I should take you off my friend list?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I finally understand the necessity of twitter..... How else can you automatically send status updates to millions of people every time a methane detector in your office chair records a fart?

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-Office-Chair/

This singlehandedly affirms the necessity of "Twitter"

Holy shit I thought putting a webcam on my offroad vehicle was geeky.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    "... frequent Facebook users typically spend less time studying and receive lower GPA scores than students who do not use the service at all."
    No WAY!

The Facebook/Twitter allure is completely lost on me; it seems to be not much more than the latest, most popular way to waste incredible amounts of time and be really unproductive. I'm good enough at both of those things as it is, unfortunately . I do get that it would be a good way to keep in touch w/family, but I have no interest in having people I used to know 20 years ago finding me and knowing what I'm doing (or not, as the case may be ).

-SJ
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Hmmm, kind of like Bogley what are you doing now? thread

And facebook is used for mafia wars!
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Hmmm, kind of like Bogley what are you doing now? thread
    Too True!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile
    The Facebook/Twitter allure is completely lost on me; it seems to be not much more than the latest, most popular way to waste incredible amounts of time and be really unproductive. I'm good enough at both of those things as it is, unfortunately . I do get that it would be a good way to keep in touch w/family, but I have no interest in having people I used to know 20 years ago finding me and knowing what I'm doing (or not, as the case may be ).

-SJ
    I find it amazing to see how people I knew 20 years ago are doing. What they grew up to be like, what their kids look like, what spouses they chose as a life mate, where they ended up living, what job they ended up taking. I wish I was tough and could say "I don't care" but I do.. I admit it, I'm weak.

Oh yeah and at a glance I can see pretty much what my entire family is doing, where they are and what they are feeling. My aunt (who I quote in my sig) uploaded her new artwork. My cousin is documenting his trip through Spain right now and I'm hooked reading his entries. It also lets me know that my other aunt's birthday was today. So I know to call her and say it.

But then again, I spend incredible amounts of time arguing politics on the internet. So my time wasted threshold is way less than yours. hehe.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    I find it amazing to see how people I knew 20 years ago are doing. What they grew up to be like, what their kids look like, what spouses they chose as a life mate, where they ended up living, what job they ended up taking. I wish I was tough and could say "I don't care" but I do.. I admit it, I'm weak.
    I went to my 20 yr. high school reunion and that was good enough for me to get my fill of what others are doing . I was actually rather interested to see what the "popular" crowd looked like and if they'd actually amounted to much of anything. Most of the women were just as one-dimentional (and now fat) as they were in high school. The most interesting people there were the other geeks and those on the "social outskirts" of high school, like myself.

I didn't keep in touch with anyone from h.s. after I graduated, and even the good intentions that some of us had to try and stay in touch after the reunion fell by the wayside. My life, esp. at the moment, isn't that interesting to *me*, so I don't want to showcase my boring life on Facebook . And, many of the things I do find interesting to discuss (books I've read, some political stuff, geology, anything pertaining to the Colorado Plateau, baking/cooking) none of my friends do. So, I go to forums like this one where I can read (and discuss) things with like-minded people.

Oh yeah and at a glance I can see pretty much what my entire family is doing, where they are and what they are feeling. My aunt (who I quote in my sig) uploaded her new artwork. My cousin is documenting his trip through Spain right now and I'm hooked reading his entries. It also lets me know that my other aunt's birthday was today. So I know to call her and say it.
    Hey - sounds like you at least have an interesting family! I speak with my mom maybe 4-5x/year and my sis every 1-2 weeks (she's the relative I'm closest to, by far). My cousins and aunt/uncle I haven't seen in probably 30 years and I couldn't care less about them or their lives and v.v. If one of them got married or had kids I wouldn't know about it. I'd probably hear about it if someone died, but that's about it.

Over the past several years, my online interests and involvement have waxed and waned. I was really involved with it socially 15 years ago during the peak of Usenet...back in the day when I had a UNIX shell account, Pine as my mail reader and the WWW was in its infancy. Now, most of the time I spend online is either entertainment or to learn something. Social networking/communications is a distant third. Hell, my friends think something is wrong with me because I don't even want to spend that much time on the phone anymore, but the job I have now gives me plenty of human contact.

Bogley is the only forum I now read regularly and occasionally post to, 'cos it has the highest % of interesting/funny peeps of any of the forums I do read. Everything else is blogs or other forums I breeze through on occasion and of course, lots of Googling to learn new stuff .

Teh internets: an amazing way to spend and waste lots of time!

-SJ
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    I wish I was tough and could say "I don't care" but I do.. I admit it, I'm weak.