Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering With Sports Chalet

Canyoneering With Sports Chalet

not sure if anyone has seen this yet but it looks like everyone is trying to get into the guiding service. What do you guys think.

http://www.sportchalet.com/category/...anyoneering.do
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Canyoneering With Sports Chalet

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    not sure if anyone has seen this yet but it looks like everyone is trying to get into the guiding service. What do you guys think.

Alpine Training Services has been offering Canyoneering courses in cooperation with Sports Chalet since 2001.

http://www.alpinets.com/canyoneering.html

Tom

If my intel is good..... I believe that the Sport Chalet Canyoneering Program is run by

ATS: http://www.alpinets.com/

I have only heard good things about them. I know a lot of the SoCal canyoneers have been through their program so I'm sure one of them can provide more info.

ATS has been around for about 10 years so it's not like they are a total noob.

yeah i had no idea i just came across it today while searching for stuff. i just thought they had a couple of employees out there taking people down canyons. its good to hear that it is a respectable company doing the trips.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Adventure Locations:
    Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Mexico, Zion, and the Sierra
    I found this interesting. Why say "Zion" and not southern Utah? Not many people even know where Zion is. I guess if you're in the area, you would and that makes you in the target market. But I can see people planning a trip around this. Just weird since phoenix and mexico are friggin huge, yet zion is so specific.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Adventure Locations:
    Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Mexico, Zion, and the Sierra
    I found this interesting. Why say "Zion" and not southern Utah? Not many people even know where Zion is. I guess if you're in the area, you would and that makes you in the target market. But I can see people planning a trip around this. Just weird since phoenix and mexico are friggin huge, yet zion is so specific.
    And also because, they CAN'T guide in Zion.

T

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Can't is such a big word-------------
    Surely you meant "legally" can't.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Correctamundo, your exactatudinousmus. ;->

T

It looks like ATS has scheduled several 3 day canyoneering schools in Utah for 2010.

February 5-7, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    April 2-4, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    April 9-11, 2010 - Phoenix area
    April 23-25, 2010 - Zion area
    May 7-9, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    June 4-6, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    August 13-15, 2010 - Seattle, Washington area
    September 3-5, 2010 - Phoenix area
    September 10-12, 2010 - Sierra area
    September 17-19, 2010 - San Rafael Swell, Utah area
    September 24-26, 2010 - Zion area
    October 1-3, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    November 5-7, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    December 3-5, 2010 - Los Angeles area
    December 24-26, 2010 - Tampico, Mexico area

it also looks like you can sign up for a one day classes....

More info here:
    http://outdooradventurecourses.com/canyoneering_courses

ATS' canyoneering school was discussed here previously:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9933

uh, and the linked thread has a very low signal/noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    The noise has been split into it's own separate thread... the linked thread should now have a better signal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Correctamundo, your exactatudinousmus. ;->

T
    That would be 5 times now.

Did these guys ever get going in Salt Lake?

Mark

Re: Canyoneering With Sports Chalet

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru

Alpine Training Services has been offering Canyoneering courses in cooperation with Sports Chalet since 2001.

http://www.alpinets.com/canyoneering.html

Tom
    Hijack,

How come you are not over freezing your butt off at the FF?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    "It looks like ATS has scheduled several 3 day canyoneering schools in Utah for 2010."

That is what revived this old thread....

Sports Chalet and ATS have professional ties.... I have no clue how the Utah stores, ATS, and Utah canyon classes are tied together, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    "It looks like ATS has scheduled several 3 day canyoneering schools in Utah for 2010."

That is what revived this old thread....

Sports Chalet and ATS have professional ties.... I have no clue how the Utah stores, ATS, and Utah canyon classes are tied together, if at all.

I am suprised a climbing gym in the Salt Lake area does not teach reasonably priced canyoneering classes. With all of the Scout leaders etc around I bet it would be popular.

Mark

Exum Utah (now Mountain Adventures) had a canyoneering course a while back, so did the University of Utah.

It appears that Mountain Adventures will begin offering the course again in 2010.
    http://www.utahmountainadventures.co...oneering.shtml
    I know Exum Utah has changed ownership so I don't know what kind of instruction you will get.

I tagged along on a U of U outing, it was not a class, but the trip the group did at the end of the school year. I probably learned more that one day of canyoneering than any other single day of canyoneering. They did things completely different from the way just about everyone else I had been with did things. They were total team work, it was interesting to watch and learn. Everyone else teaches what I would call a guide/client or leader/follower method, yes, the others teach teamwork, but nearly to the same degree or with the same advanced ideas. Going with these guys really shaped my personal idea of what canyoneering should be. Only downside is they were not as strong on rope work as other schools, but it was a good cross training for me. I don't think the U still has this classes as I've not heard anything about it for a while.

Mark
    Mark, they swing through every year for a class or two...AFAIK there is no permanent presence here.

I have no experience with ATS but am somewhat prejudiced against them after reading articles written by their principal tech guy that contain misleading info and fabrications.

For example (speaking of the difference between notch/pin and keylock carabiners - note that the author uses [makes up?] a different name for the notch/pin design):

http://www.alpinets.com/carabiner.html

[i]Tooth Lock

Now what about the tooth design? Basically this is a

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I tagged along on a U of U outing, it was not a class, but the trip the group did at the end of the school year. I probably learned more that one day of canyoneering than any other single day of canyoneering. They did things completely different from the way just about everyone else I had been with did things. They were total team work, it was interesting to watch and learn.

Everyone else teaches what I would call a guide/client or leader/follower method, yes, the others teach teamwork, but not nearly to the same degree or with the same advanced ideas. Going with these guys really shaped my personal idea of what canyoneering should be. Only downside is they were not as strong on rope work as other schools, but it was a good cross training for me. I don't think the U still has this classes as I've not heard anything about it for a while.
    But Shane, have you been in a classroom with anyone else? You're not really the 'classroom type'...

At Zion Adventure Company, we can teach in many different ways depending on where the students are at, but really we try to stress teamwork, problem solving and understanding, if the personal dynamics fo the group will tolerate it. At Bogley Fest, I feel like we tried to do this on my trips, which were LIKE a ZAC classroom day, with the intensity level ratcheted down a bit.

Malia helped with this class last year. I'm sure they still do it, but I think it is a once-in-the-spring class.

Tom

Even if you don't know what a Kn or foot-pound is, it should be evident to the average reader that the author isn't entirely conversant with his subject. That he published the article as-is (i.e. w/o doing the little bit of research it would take to give accurate and useful info) shows poor judgment and leads me to question the overall integrity of the organization and its curriculum. YMMV, of course - I'm just a mite picky about my LIFE-safety instruction.
    And the pickable examples from his website are many. If'n I tried to write a parody of a technical website, with every single fact wrong, it might be close to these examples.

It's called "BS".

T