Thread: A night out in Squamish

A night out in Squamish

Left on Tuesday morning, and stopped off to buy a new camera on the way. Pentax Optio W60. Light, rugged-ish, waterproof, good zoom, good wide angle, not too expensive.

Stopped and took a couple of photos of Vancouver from Stanley Park:

Fireboat practicing, and on the far right an Otter floatplane about to touch down.

Cruise ship terminal, convention centre, and the edge of downtown. Mid photo, just left of the freaky UFO building with big antenna, is an office building with what looks like an air traffic control tower plunked on top. That's an air traffic control tower for the floatplanes and helicopters. Worked there in '98 and '99. Nice view.

North Vancouver with Mount Seymour in the background:

Next I drove north on the Sea to Sky highway to the town of Squamish - "Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada". From town I took a photo of the Stawamus Chief, my hiking destination du jour:

The Chief is over 2000 feet tall, and has 3 distinct summits. The first is near the centre of the photo, second to the left, and third at far left. The angle of the photo is deceiving - the third summit is tallest at 2300 feet. Below and right of the first summit is the Grand Wall - about 1600 feet of free and aid climbing. Below the second summit is the Apron, lower angled climbing of 6 or 7 pitches.

I went and set up my tent at the base of the Chief, in the climber's campground - kind of a minimalist camp.

Just before 5:00pm, I started up the trail.

Stairs:

Followed by rocks:

Followed by stairs and rocks:

The trail split 2/3 of the way up, and I headed toward the second summit (my favourite of the three). Chains helped out on some of the steeper bits:

Granitic ridges near the top of the second peak.

Atop the second peak. Squamish below, and Mount Garibaldi in the background:

View of the third peak, and beyond, from the second peak:

Dropping into a gully on the way to the third peak:

From near the top of the third peak, looking back south at the second and first, with Howe Sound (a fjord) in the background:

Once again, on the second peak (had to cross it on the way back down) looking at Howe Sound:

I dropped back down to the junction and headed back up onto the first peak, where I waited for full nightfall. The (almost) full moon rising in the east.

Playing with my headlamp:

Squamish at night. Mt. Garibaldi just visible on right:

When it was finally dark, I started down by headlamp, and 40 minutes later was back in my tent:

In the morning, packed up the tent, hit one of the local Starbucks, and then it was off to the Smoke Bluffs, a popular cragging area on the outskirts of town (in other words, 4 minutes from Starbucks.) I rapped down a 20m cliff, and practiced using my brand new ascenders to climb the fixed line. Exhilarating! No photos, unfortunately... Then it was off for home.

All in all, a good (though short) trip!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great report and photos!

Great stuff!

We spent a week climbing in Squamish a couple of springs ago. Man, you had some nice weather!

Fun location.

Thanks,

-Brian in SLC

I love those pics with the moon and the pics of the sound. Awesome!

Nice pictures; another jealousy filled morning reading Bogley in my cubicle.

For a change, Kev, I will claim no envy, 'cause I know that the BCMC "Wednesdays at the Smoke Bluffs/Apron" sessions are just around the corner. Absentee new father/organizer notwithstanding!

It is good to be reminded, however, that it doesn't exactly suck here.

Bogley BigShot
    Cool and unique shots! I love them!

I missed this thread as it was during my Maze trip but thanks to Tanya's post it popped onto my radar today.

I love the unique perspective (figuratively and literally) of these photos. It really felt like we were hiking with you.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Hi, Kev! I finally got to go up to Beautiful BC and hike up to Joffre Lakes.
    It was fantastic!!
    Nice pictures, as always! I passed by the Chief and even had my first
    Tim Hortons!
    Here`s to a great summer!
    Cheers! jerry

http://usera.imagecave.com/mochajo/
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers