Thread: Red Rocks, Vegas

Red Rocks, Vegas

I am looking for decent hikes in the Red Rocks area of Vegas for this weekend. Quality hikes or at least photo opportunities would be ideal. We are heading down Friday and possibly climbing on Saturday depending on the weather.

This spot looks sweet, anyone have a clue what part it is? (Stole this from Flickr):

The rest of Red Rock looks like the Swell to me. Any intel would be appreciated.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the photo is taken not too far in from the entrance station. its a major sport climbing area. can't remember the name though.

lots of routes from these sports routes to really lon multi-pitch trad routes. red rocks is one of the best sandstone climbing areas in the u.s.. i prefer the moderate trad routes. cat in the hat 5.6 for 6 pitches, black dagger 6 pitches 5.7, rainbow wall 11 pitches 5.8, frogland 8 pitches 5.8, crimson chrysalis 5 or 6 pitches 5.9, prince of darkness 6 pitches 5.10. you get the idea. some of the approaches can be a bit of a workout.

have fun.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Calico area?

When I was there in October, I took a hike along the Calico Tanks trail, a couple of miles inside the fee area. After about 10 minutes of hiking along the wash, I headed up into the hills. Ended up on top of "Red Cap (Little Turtlehead)" mountain. Just some really nice scrambling and exploring.

I went up the southeast side, over the top, then back down the northwest side. Really nice descent route!!!

More photos here at Picasa

When you say "looking for hikes", are you looking for girlfriend hikes? day hikes? hardcore hiking? scrambling?

The absolute best beta on hiking Red Rocks/Las Vegas/Southern Nevada is the website "Hiking Las Vegas"

http://www.hikinglasvegas.com/

There is a $50 membership fee required the first year but it's worth it (in my humble opinion). Last time I checked Branch had 122 routes listed in Red Rocks alone.

Re: Red Rocks, Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    I am looking for decent hikes in the Red Rocks area of Vegas for this weekend. Quality hikes or at least photo opportunities would be ideal. We are heading down Friday and possibly climbing on Saturday depending on the weather.

This spot looks sweet, anyone have a clue what part it is? (Stole this from Flickr):

The rest of Red Rock looks like the Swell to me. Any intel would be appreciated.
    Photo looks straight across from the Second Pullout on the Loop Road. Ton of climbs over there. Wouldn't be in Calico Basin per se.

Hiking or climbing?

A popular hike in the area that some locals do is a loop hike of Windy Peak. That'd be pretty neat. I've run into hikers on that peak after a climb, and, they were havin' a blast. Be a longish day, though. Great views. Peak is fairly southern in the Red Rock escarpment, so, not "in the thick of it" like something in the middle.

A hike I really enjoy is the hike up Oak Creek. Its usually got running water this time of year. The creek bed is really fun (fairly physical) and you can peak bag up either the North or the South fork. I've only gone up the North Fork (to climb on the Celebration Wall) but ran into a guy peak bagging up the south fork a few weekends ago. Looked neat.

There's some pretty nifty slick rock type scrambling in the creek drainage up the North Fork. Some you have to be careful on, and, really look around for an easy way that's not too exposed. Rock can be VERY slick in places but is neat looking too.

Tons of stuff to do out there...

-Brian in SLC

We took the kids on a short hike up to a waterfall last year. If you have kids and wanted some info I am sure I could find it again but I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

We also visited valley of fire on the way home. Both very cool hiking destinations
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    We took the kids on a short hike up to a waterfall last year. If you have kids and wanted some info I am sure I could find it again but I don't remember the name off the top of my head.
    Icebox Canyon? It's a nice girlfriend/kid hike to a seasonal waterfall. The plunge pools at the end are cool.

Here's some beta on Icebox:
    http://offgridsurvival.com/hiking-re...yon-in-nevada/

I believe Oak Creek also has a waterfall.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

When you say "looking for hikes", are you looking for girlfriend hikes? day hikes? hardcore hiking? scrambling?
    Ahhh, but my wife usually kicks my ass on hikes (proud for sure). She has rocked The Beatout with me, over Superior from LCC with full packs to camp above Lake Blanche, 10 hour hikes in the Swell etc. I got a good one!

We are looking to climb and hike. It kind of depends on the weather. Looks like it may rain so if that is the case, more hiking. If it is clear, we will be climbing. I'm looking for the best of all three (photogenic being the third). Sounds like I've got some stuff to work with. Thanks all.

So we went to Red Rocks on Easter day and I think that everyone else in Vegas went there that day too. It was a combination of a gorgeous day, Easter, and spring break which made the crowds pretty unbearable. We had two carloads of people but as we (2nd car) got up to the booth, we realized we didn't have any cash or check and they don't take credit/debit. First car was gone, my wife and I were stuck and we did not want to mess with the crowd anyways so we went out to Oak Creek Canyon accessed from the end of the loop road. We only saw about 4 other people on the trail and had a great hike. Mostly just an open desert trail and as we got to the entrance of the canyon we turned around due to time. Met up with the rest of the crew a few hours later and headed out of town.

Another successful trip to Vegas with more new experiences. We'll definitely head back to Red Rocks (and actually go in the fee area) but hopefully that will be when less people are there.

On another note, we rented a house from www.vrbo.com for two days and it worked out very nicely. Same price as a ritzy hotel but we had our own pool, hot tub and 5 bedrooms (only used two). I recommend.

Getting trailmap information the night before:

Mt. Wilson to the left, Oak Creek Canyon to the right:

The rock band where the original post climber is located:

That's so cool that they hand out trail info - for free! - on the streets of Vegas!

Glad you had a good time!

Bogley BigShot
    Have you met up with Courtney and DB yet? They live in Vegas and hike a lot, in fact Courtney has 2 recent books out - one on Zion and the other in the Las Vegas area. cp0915