Thread: ATC question

ATC question

Just curious what people think about this ATC, i have been using 8's for a long time then moved to a Perana 2 years ago. The only problem is on long rappels the Perana really twists the rope. Its not that big of a deal but i had a buddy buy an omega ATC last year before we went down The Maze and he loved it.

http://www.omegapac.com/op_products_sbgii.html
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: ATC question

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    Just curious what people think about this ATC, i have been using 8's for a long time then moved to a Perana 2 years ago. The only problem is on long rappels the Perana really twists the rope. Its not that big of a deal but i had a buddy buy an omega ATC last year before we went down The Maze and he loved it.
    http://www.omegapac.com/op_products_sbgii.html
    Not an "ATC" per say, I guess the same way all ascenders aren't "jumars".

Superior Belay Gadget II.

I have both the original and II versions. I think they are "ok". One advantage is that there isn't a wire loop to deal with. The stem is solid. They also have a bunch more options for friction, but, not on the fly.

One thing I didn't like about them is they clink clank on the biner. I tried using tool dip on mine and it sorta worked, but, having a noise maker on me every time I moved was a bit annoying.

They do seem to work just fine, but, I feel like I know the ATC (and ATC pro and guide) much better and I can predict the friction based on rope type and diameter much more accurately with an ATC. That's more a familiarity thing, though, rather than a technical issue.

Can't recall how their wear is, though. I seem to dimly recall that through a bit of use, you get sharp edges fairly quickly, but, I could be a bit off on that too (same with an ATC too, though).

Probably just what you get used to. I haven't used mine in a long time. My standard belay/rappel device is an ATC pro.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC