Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I take my boy to Goblin Valley?

Should I take my boy to Goblin Valley?

I'm thinking of heading down to Goblin Valley next week with my 2 year old boy.

I get next Thursday and Friday off, I know it could be crowded, so I wonder if I should even take off Wednesday night to snag a camping spot.

I was discussing this with Alex while he was evaluating me.

We'll just be tentin' it, and I'll have my child carrier backpack (that I bought from Alex) to do a little hiking with.

I'm not sure if we're ready for LWH Canyon, I wouldn't take that pack through there, but maybe we can go up part way.

Do you guys think it will be crowded this next Easter Sunday weekend? I may just stay for one night.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think you would be bored at Goblin Valley with that much time, unless you were going to do some of the slots in the area. Have you ever done Little Wild Horse Windows? Other than some dork fainting fake pictographs up there, it is worth checking out.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

duh!

no brainer. take the kid and go. if you can't do lwh then i bet you could take a kid backpack through ding and dang.

quality time with dad. will be soon enough that he doesn't want to even be seen with dad. enjoy it while you have a captive audience.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I was thinking of just a quick getaway. In fact I may just go down there Wednesday night for better chance of getting a camp spot right there in the park.

Then after some hiking for a few hours, maybe we'll get out of there in the early afternoon on Thursday.

I just didn't want to get down there in the dark. I can probably leave home at about 4:00 though. If I remember right, it's about 3.5 hours drive from Ogden?

Your boy will love Goblin Valley no doubt. If you really want to stay in the campground just reserve a spot online but there are plenty of car camping spots out there. I doubt you would have any problems finding a spot.

I have hiked Little Wild Horse canyon at least 5 times with a child carrier, no problems at all but it will be a freaking Zoo with at least 80 cars at the trail head. If you do Ding / Dang you going to need to chimney over the pools and that would be a no go with a little one.

Some other hikes in the area I have done with my kids.

Upper Chute Canyon

Wild Horse Creek

Fransworth Canyon

Crack Canyon

Little Wild Horse Canyon

Ding Canyon

Goblin

You missed us by one weekend. We'll be there, probably doing LWH etc. on Saturday. Yeah I'm expecting lots of people but that's the way the trip lays out. Thursday we're backpacking, but Friday we're at The Wall in the Maze. Come on by

Seriously, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I doubt it will be boring spending time with your son in that country no matter what trail you take. Enjoy!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

go man, go!

don't worry about campsites. there are tons out there. you can camp anywhere on the BLM land, within reason. but, i bet you'll still find a spot.

have fun.

I have always liked this picture of yours.

I have never seen this picture before. I LOVE it!

It will be crowded and the campground would probably be full, but there are other places in the area to camp. Goblin Valley is the best place in the world for kids, so go for it. See here:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/193...in-valley.html

Thanks for the advice guys, I've made up my mind and I'm excited.

It's been a few years, is there cell phone service there?

Since this is my boy's VERY FIRST real camping trip, I think we'll just do the one night and see how it goes. I figure we can take off Wednesday night, this way it's a better chance getting a camp spot right in the park.

On our next trip if all goes well, I think we'll rough it a little more. We'll probably just head home in the afternoon the next day.

I just google mapped it, it's saying 4.5 hours from the ogden area, but I remember it being less. We may even just take I-70 instead of winding through Price. I think he'll like the views more.

With my cheap At&t phone I do have reception in a lot of the area surrounding Goblin Valley. With my $600 Verizon phone I do not have coverage.

FYI- It usually takes me about 3 hours and 15 minutes to go from my house (in Provo\Orem) to Goblin Valley.

Goblin Valley and LWH are two awesome routes for kids.... but EASTER?!?!?!?

Last time I was at LWH over Easter weekend the cars were parked down both sides of the road at the LWH trailhead, in both directions, for over one mile each way. That was noon on Saturday. It was insane....

Just lettin' you know....

I have been there over Easter weekend several times and it is crowded but still lots of fun. Take your time in the Goblins and let him climb over everything. When you get bored, or he gets tired head into Hanksville and get a burger and shake, it is very good and the little guy can take a nap during the heat of the day. Evening is the best time in the Goblins anyway.

My little guy loved it, just remember lots of water and food.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm going down Wednesday night, coming back Thursday afternoon. I'm thinking I'll miss a lot of the crowds.

I will just second what everybody else said. I think you will have a great time. I have never yet taken a kid to Goblin Valley or Little Wild Horse that didn't love it.

I am very jealous of you 'Beech. James Junior is 2 years old and I have not taken him camping yet. Have fun!

James

Justin, I'd recommend staying one day there and coming back Friday morning.

The kids need the marshmallow's night. And you can spend a good day playing and relaxing around a camp site. Try to get the campsite in the park, it will give a peace of mind to your wife with the running water and flushing toilets. I've climbed all over that mount around the campground, which is a lot of fun for a quick 15 minutes hike before sunset by the campground without driving.

From Ogden it will take about 4 hours 20 mins or so. Depends if you have to make stops on the way. I've gotten reception on AT&T about 500 feet north of the park, even our crappy Nextels picked up the signal about 2 miles north of the park.

I always loved Goblin Valley with the kids, I'd stay away from LWH. It's about a mile hike in to the slot, which is kind of a bummer with the little ones. Wait until he is a bit older and will enjoy it more.

Goblin Valley will give you enough running/exploring time with your boy. There are a ton of little slots to explore in the back of the valley. Plus, you won't see as many people in the valley comparing it to LWH. Since everyone spread out exploring, or just bunch up at the parking lot.

Watch the weather careful, it might be storming.

I've decided just to go down alone with my boy. My wife is a little nervous about the newborn in the tent.

newborn in the tent is no problem. best part is when he starts to cry the coyotes come in from miles around.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Only take I-70 if you want to take an extra hour to get there.

We just got back from wet muddy trip to Goblin a few hours ago. We camped in the campground for the first time ever and I must say the sites are very close together and you have no privacy form other campers. The only reason we picked a spot there was because the weather was sketchy and the roads were VERY muddy. But we stayed dry and the kids had a blast playing in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Only take I-70 if you want to take an extra hour to get there.

We just got back from wet muddy trip to Goblin a few hours ago. We camped in the campground for the first time ever and I must say the sites are very close together and you have no privacy form other campers. The only reason we picked a spot there was because the weather was sketchy and the roads were VERY muddy. But we stayed dry and the kids had a blast playing in the mud.
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if it will still be muddy down there by Thursday. I guess it's supposed to storm again, but maybe I'll just prepare for mud.

I do like the scenery of I-70 though, and I really hate winding through the canyons the Price way, especially at night. If I take that small 20 mile shortcut, through Salina I think?.... It seems that I-70 only takes about 20 minutes longer, but I could be wrong.