Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI cable ?

HDMI cable ?

I have a HDMI port on my laptop, can I plug a cable into that port and plug the other end into my tv and watch MLB.tv off my computer that way?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

it should just treat your TV as a second monitor ... plug it in then set up dual displays.

i've never seen an hdmi port on a tv.. i'm sure there are converters, but i think your best bet is an s-video port.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    i've never seen an hdmi port on a tv.. i'm sure there are converters, but i think your best bet is an s-video port.
    I think all newer hidef tv's have the hdmi port. I know my Mitsubishi does.
    The man thong is wrong.

My Panasonic has 3 and my Visio has 2. I think all HDTV's built in the last 3 or so years have at least one HDMI port.

I did discover something very interesting about HDMI ports with the last TV I bought.... anyone ever notice that many of the TV's COSTCO sales have exactly the same part number as the ones sold by everyone else. Except the COSTCO version might contain an extra number or letter at the end? Or maybe the final letter or number is different by one?

This is because the TV's are not exactly the same. The COSTCO versions are different to cut the cost.... and one of the places they cut the cost on HDTV's is eliminating one or more of the HDMI ports.

Anyhoo.... I'm sure a lot more of this type stuff goes no than I'm aware of. I just noticed it with the TV's and HDMI ports.

most TVs that dont support 1080p wont have a an HDMI port.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    My Panasonic has 3 and my Visio has 2. I think all HDTV's built in the last 3 or so years have at least one HDMI port.

I did discover something very interesting about HDMI ports with the last TV I bought.... anyone ever notice that many of the TV's COSTCO sales have exactly the same part number as the ones sold by everyone else. Except the COSTCO version might contain an extra number or letter at the end? Or maybe the final letter or number is different by one?

This is because the TV's are not exactly the same. The COSTCO versions are different to cut the cost.... and one of the places they cut the cost on HDTV's is eliminating one or more of the HDMI ports.

Anyhoo.... I'm sure a lot more of this type stuff goes no than I'm aware of. I just noticed it with the TV's and HDMI ports.

Walmart does the same thing

and one of the places they cut the cost on HDTV's is eliminating one or more of the HDMI ports.
    How many do you need? I'm guessing just one for the receiver?

For my computer, I'm still old skool, I'm not a gamer so I don't have an outstanding video card. I'd just use the ol' blue VGA cable.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    and one of the places they cut the cost on HDTV's is eliminating one or more of the HDMI ports.

For my computer, I'm still old skool, I'm not a gamer so I don't have an outstanding video card. I'd just use the ol' blue VGA cable.
    I have a 24" wide screen WUXGA monitor attached to my 17" laptop via DVI. My next upgrade will be a 24-29" monitor attached via HDMI.

512mb video card in my laptop! Nice!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I have HDMI from my PS3 to my television and I really don't notice any difference.

I would strongly recommend against HDMI for your laptop or computer if DVI is an option. HDMI is not able to control the power to the monitor the way that DVI can. I recently purchased my dream computer and monitor and I have found that DVI is preferable for me over HDMI but to each their own.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    The more the better for me. Every HDMI port in my house is used.

My satalite uses a port, my DVD, and the xBox.

The HDMI connection does a bunch of cool things. Best part is when I put in a DVD the TV knows all the switchs to flip and does it automatically to set the system up for TV. If you use a sound system the HDMI will also turn that on and set it up for you. All with one push of the button.

Also... only one cable and not a rats nest of cables.

ok so I got my HDMI cable and the video works, but no sound.....is there any way to do this? Or would I just be best to hook up speakers to my laptop?

you don't get sound through HDMI. you need a Stereo Headphone 3.5mm To RCA Plug

goes from you sound plug on your laptop to red and white on your tv.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

The HDMI from my BluRay pipes sound to my TV. The only audio cable leaving the player goes to my stereo receiver, but I have to mute the TV and receiver when I want it quiet. It may work different for a computer though...

Quote Originally Posted by DODGER BOY
    thats what I thought thanks!
    Do you not listen to me, that is what I told you last night.

well.. that just depends on the video card, Some video cards do support the audio output. I put together a machine last week that had a HDMI / Digital Audio port on the MB.

But... HDMI video and a 3.5mm to RCA for audio??? No way.
    If you have an HDMI port that does not support audio you should for sure have a SPDIF output - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDIF

k, I do this crap daily. I work with Accadacca, he'll confirm my nerdlitist status.

There are HDMI ports on HD televisions below 1080p. Even HDTVs with 480p/i resolution have HDMI.

If you are not getting any sound, make sure your TV/laptop is capable of supporting HDMI 1.3. Version 1.3 allows video and audio to pass through that connection. 1.1 only allows video. Also, you need to make sure the cable itself is HDMI 1.3.

Currently I am running an HDMI cable from my Sony Vaio to a 25" monitor and I am getting video and sound through both. But if your TV is not capable of doing this, you might want to buy a stereo 3.5" jack to RCA cable. I usually buy my cables here because it's dirt cheap.

On my other setup, I have two 24" monitors and a DVI to HDMI cable going up to the 46" Sony Bravia running vista in a tri-mon formation, but audio is being passed through an optical cable to the 7.1 Surround Sound instead of HDMI. This way I can browse web sites, play PC games and watch videos directly on my 46" HDTV.

My e-peen is huge and unchallenged.

It's also where the Bogley logo and shirt was designed. That should fix your problem.
    bluerei : You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerei
    There are HDMI ports on HD televisions below 1080p. Even HDTVs with 480p/i resolution have HDMI.
    ... some guy on the internet said its there, yet its not.
    I have seen (and owned) an HDTV with out an HDMI port.. sucks but they are out there.

You have such a giant pee pee and a

[quote]... some guy on the internet said its there, yet its not. Rolling Eyes
    I have seen (and owned) an HDTV with out an HDMI port.. sucks but they are out there.

You have such a giant pee pee and a
    bluerei : You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.