Thread: New Imlay Rope?

New Imlay Rope?

ICG 8.3mm Canyon Fire 120'

Product Information
    New for 2009 and designed for the rough wear of the Colorado Plateau, the new Canyon Fire is 60% sheath and 40% core for greater durability and cut resistance. Tightly woven, 100% Polyester. Durable, non-absorptive, handles well. Very, very Static.

8.3 mm suitable for intermediate and advanced Canyoneers in Class A and B Canyons. Also makes a great second rope for emergency situations.

Weight: 3lb 13.6 oz. per 100 ft
    Breaking Strength: 3900 lbs.

Available April 1, 2009

So does anyone know anything about this new rope? Tom? ok editing I know what it says above but why a new 8 mm rope?

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think Tom's been working on new suppliers/products. I recently ordered 80' of 8mm, and got a newer product he was trying out (that he decided not to carry. Hmmm... ) The sheath on this one I got is apparently 1/2 Technora and 1/2 polyester. Sounds rugged. Slightly different hand to it. Supposedly faster - gotta be careful. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Don't know the story on this new Canyon Fire - but I like the name!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    I think Tom's been working on new suppliers/products. I recently ordered 80' of 8mm, and got a newer product he was trying out (that he decided not to carry. Hmmm... ) The sheath on this one I got is apparently 1/2 Technora and 1/2 polyester. Sounds rugged. Slightly different hand to it. Supposedly faster - gotta be careful. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Don't know the story on this new Canyon Fire - but I like the name!
    A good guess, Kev. But not correct...

I developed two new ropes this winter, and decided to go with the Canyon Fire 8.3mm rope; and not to go with the Canyon Ice (which you got a piece of).

The Canyon Fire 8.3mm rope is the first rope designed specifically for Colorado Plateau canyoneering. I took the core of the 8mm rope and added more sheath, since canyoneering is all about the sheath. The new rope is 60% sheath and 40% core, weighs a little more than the 8mm, and should be considerably more durable; and gives you somewhat more to hang onto. Available when the shipment comes in, about April 8th.

And it's pretty!

Thanks for the lead-in...

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i've been using a 200ft canyon fire since december. couple of reasons i really like it... 1, it's more durable. 2, it's yellow and orange, so it is way more photogenic. and 3, it still seems the same weight to me.

good stuff tom

Anyone have a picture of Tom's new rope? The boring color was the biggest downside to the old rope. Gotta look good for the pictures.

I like the colors!

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia

I like the colors!
    Me too. Go Niners!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Man, now I gotta get me one of the Canyon Fire ropes, then I can run around with Fire and Ice.

Took the kids and rapped off the new rope today, Tom. Works well - we all survived!