Thread: Leeds/Silver Reef Area Warning!

Leeds/Silver Reef Area Warning!

I'm posting this in the canyoneering section because canyoneers are the most likely group I know of to stumble into a marijuana field and get shot.... and I know several of you are exploring the Leeds area.

Be careful out there. We have stumbled into several grow fields over the years. Scarey stuff.....

[b]Efforts to ferret out Utah pot fields intensify
    Grow fields

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just one more reason to carry a firearm while hiking.

The bear bells and pepper spray just aren't cutting it anymore for self defense.

Re: Leeds/Silver Reef Area Warning!

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    There have been no reported instances of violence by marijuana producers in Utah -- just reports of them running at the site of law enforcement or hunters who stumble into their camp.
    I say you leave them alone, they leave you alone. These aren't reasonable people. Once they lose a couple crops to hikers reporting them, they'll probably start setting booby traps up and body disposal tactics. Although I guess once a person comes up missing, a search would most likely occur in that area. So that's probably not what they want. Tough call I guess. I would just stuff a couple buds in my pack and keep on walking if it was me.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Hunters and hikers are a great extra set of "eyes and ears" for law enforcement, and this article is case and point. Those of us who have a vested interest in protecting our forests and public lands should report any suspicious behavior or activity to the appropriate authorities.

I know of several cases back home (CA) where booby traps were set up around a marijuana grow site in a Nat'l Forest. In once instance, the hiker saw the fish hooks glimmering in the sun. They'd been purposely set at eye level, and he was able to avoid walking into them. He took note of where he was and reported the incident to the local Sheriff's office, who in turn was able to return to the location with the hikers help and eventually shut the grow site down.

I don't know who "Andrew Hook" is, but he should be ashamed of himself for his comment - "asking the public to be the eyes of the DEA is not the answer." Grow a pair, dude. Don't be afraid to report what you find. If WE don't report the illegal activity WE find, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Just one more reason to carry a firearm while hiking.
    You need a reason? It is not reason, it's a right!

Quote Originally Posted by The Salt Lake Tribune
    Isolated tents or camping trailers in the forest where no recreational activity is present.
    Great! The next time I go camping to

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Thanks alot Shane--I was growing a cash crop completely un-noticed down here and you notify everyone. I really haven't even shot that many people yet.

You must be the grower of the famous gange referred to on the street as "Parowan Heroin".....

folks, please before you contact the authorities call me. i will go out and confirm that it is indeed a actual grow operation. if it is i will see to that the appropriate action is taken. this way we dont have the dea spending time on wild goose chases.

glad to help.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    folks, please before you contact the authorities call me. i will go out and confirm that it is indeed a actual grow operation. if it is i will see to that the appropriate action is taken. this way we dont have the dea spending time on wild goose chases.

glad to help.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.