Thread: The Sundance Kid died in Duchesene. Is it so?

The Sundance Kid died in Duchesene. Is it so?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5952997

Producer, scientist say body unearthed in Duchesne is the Sundance Kid
    March 24th, 2009 @ 10:00pm
    By John Hollenhorst
    DUCHESNE -- One of Utah's favorite mysteries is getting revved up again: Did the Sundance Kid really die along with Butch Cassidy in South America, or did he live to ripe old age in Utah?

KSL 5 News has learned fascinating new details about an investigation that involves a body dug up recently in Duchesne.

The Oscar-winning movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" more or less followed the official version of Utah's most famous outlaws: Butch and Sundance high-tailed it to South America.

Image from the documentary showing William Long's body being uncovered. Things didn't go well there. In a shootout with the Bolivian Army in 1908, both outlaws died in a blaze of gunfire, if not necessarily glory.

"Everybody's like, 'They died in Bolivia! They died in Bolivia!' [But] they didn't die in Bolivia," said documentary producer Marilyn Grace.

Dr. John McCullough, who has long experience as a forensic anthropologist, told us, "Two gringos definitely died, but we just don't know which ones."

Three months ago, they dug up a grave in the Duchesne City Cemetery. They're hoping to prove that William Henry Long was, in fact, the Sundance Kid.

Long died an old man in 1936, a Utah rancher with a shady reputation and a mysterious past. "Everybody knew he was an outlaw. They didn't know which one," Grace said.

Her documentary will argue that Long married a widow with six kids in 1894 and led a secret double life during Butch and Sundance's outlaw years. "It's a great cover, to be married with six children instead of an outlaw on the loose," she said.

At a glance, photos of Sundance and Long don't look strikingly alike, but when transparencies are matched up, the images seem to fuse into the face of one very wanted man. "It's a perfect match, almost a perfect match," McCullough said.

Side-by-side images of William Long and the Sundance Kid. "Both have broken noses. Both have a notch in the ear. Both have a notch on the chin," Grace pointed out.

McCullough took it a step further, measuring all their features. He calculated a mathematical match .99. "Which is astounding," he said. "I had never expected to get even that close."

There's another interesting photo comparison: Sundance's known sisters and two women Long claimed were his sisters. "We did a comparison of the sisters as well, and it's just too close. It's just too close," McCullough said.

On top of that, they found a mystery: William Henry Long's skull has a bullet hole. His death in 1936 was ruled a suicide because a rifle was found near his body, but McCullough found no powder burns and an unexpected angle of entry. "It would be difficult to do that with a rifle by oneself," he said.

The acid test is DNA evidence. They haven't got it yet, but they're trying to compare samples from Long's bones with DNA from a descendant of Sundance's mother. We'll keep you posted, and we're keeping our skepticism firmly in place until then.

E-mail: jhollenhorst@ksl.com
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been following this story for a couple of months. It sounds pretty convincing.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

It'll be cool to learn the results of the DNA test they are doing on the remains.

A turn-of-the-century photograph of the "Wild Bunch". From left: Henry Longabaugh, alias the Sundance Kid; William Carver, alias News Carver; Ben Kilpatrick, alias the Tall Texan; Harvey Logan, alias Kid Curry; and Robert LeRoy Parker, alias Butch Cassidy.

My dear departed dad would've loved hearing about this story. He was a huge history buff of the Wild Bunch and all things included.

My Mom's friend is a direct descendant of Butch Cassidy. Sadly for her the resemblance is remarkable.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    My Mom's friend is a direct descendant of Butch Cassidy. Sadly for her the resemblance is remarkable.

I've known for a long time that Butch was in my family tree. And everybody knows they escaped from Bolivia and returned to the US and lived to a ripe old age. What most people don't know is that Sundance was shot in the head by Billy The Kid, who had escaped from Pat Garrett and lived a long life in relative obscurity.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1