Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free SPOT

Free SPOT

Just thought I'd pass along this good deal, which expires this Friday:

http://findmespot.com/robby/

Just have to buy a year of service (including SPOTcasting)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thats a great deal.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    So this is a good thing?

My mother has requested I get something like this. She actually called me up... just to hang up on me... when I broke my hand in the fall on my bike ride. She has NEVER hung up on me.

Anyhooo I told her I would look into something like this-just so she would have a peace of mind. Is there one better then this? Anyone have strong objections to the spot?

I checked it out yesterday and am seriously considering purchasing it. Especially because I plan on taking just me and the kids camping and hiking a lot. I think it would be good for my own peace of mind.
    Chere'

I know a number of people who use this device and it seems to work well. I got mine yesterday and have tested it a few times already and so far all my messages have gone through.
    Randy Langstraat

I've been using mine for over a year.
    Its not just a good thing, its a GREAT thing.

Just being able to send an occasional "I'm Ok" message is incredible when people are at home wondering if you are okay. They love getting that message. You can customize it. My OK message says "This is Shannon, I'm having a blast! Don't you wish you were here?" and it gives my GPS coordinates so the can click the message from email and Google earth will show the exactly where I am. You can change the message and the recipient list anytime so you could add/delete people on every trip. It also send the messages as an SMS message to cell phones.

But being able to get a non-emergency "I need help" message out is the absolute best part. You can use it when you break down, run out of gas, get stuck in the snow whatever. My message says "Oops I F*&*^ed up and need you to come get me. Brings tools, gas and alcohol".

My cell phone NEVER works when I need this kind of help. I swear all of my vehicles know exactly where to give me the worst problems.

Personally just knowing that if a SAR team ever needs to come looking for me, there will be no question where I am, they will not be endangered stumbling all over creation looking for me.

I tell everyone on the notification list who else is on the list so they can sort out which poor bastard gets stuck with helping me out.

Get one, its a great feeling of security.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

"Oops I F*&*^ed up and need you to come get me. Brings tools, gas and alcohol".
    I love that!!! I think I will get one. The more I think about it... the more I do believe it would be good.

I want to go camping in Duchesne on property we have. It is way off the beaten path and if anything happened... At least this way I could get help.
    Chere'

Thanks for this heads-up. I had been thinking how the parents in my Scout troop would feel better if I had this when we do our 6 day trip this summer.

More toys!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I used mine for over a year now and will NEVER go out into the boonies without one now. It's the best self rescue device out there for amateurs. At this price it's a God's send. If you don't get it now, you are cheating yourself and your family.

I use mine religiously when I go rafting. My mom and my wife sleep well at night knowing I am safe at camp site every night and not stranded somewhere on the rock. But if I was stranded on a rock, I can call for help!

Since I care about this device so much, I will go out of my way to give our my email for the emergency contact for you guys, in case you do need to use that "HELP ME" button.

I bought one this morning. Told my mom about it. She was very happy and pleased.

I can't wait to get my new toy!
    Chere'

I'm still thinking about it...
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I have one of these and I think it is a great idea. I ski and mtb alone and it's nice to know that I have a way of calling for some help if need be. My wife loves it. While out mtbing I send her a few "hi - here I am"s throughout the day.

Anyone who plays out of doors and out of cell phone range should seriously think about getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Your life not worth $150 a year? Man you are a cheap date!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Are you saying you won't let me go rafting with you unless I have one of these?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

To a point, I don't want to haul your ass out, let the S&R do it

I'm still trying to convince my wife that my life is worth $700 so I can buy a used downhill bike

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'm still trying to convince my wife that my life is worth $700 so I can buy a used downhill bike
    Thats easy. Tell her you upped the accidental death and "in a coma" policy to $10M. She'll buy the bike and shove you off the first hill.

Its not all just about you. Last year at least one SAR volunteer I know died trying to save some people who would have been found in a hour if they had a SPOT. But he is dead now and they are fine.

They were not big time back country adventurers either. They went for a Sunday drive in the sticks and got stuck in the snow. Since nobody knew where they were a large scale search was engaged.

I really don't want something like that hanging over my head.
    The idea that someone else could die because you are too cheap to drop $150 does not set well with me.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    My SPOT! was easily one of the best purchases I ever made. My wife now allows a bit more latitude in where I go adventuring (provided I "check-in" routinely).

I also enjoying the mapping aspect of my trips. Once home, I can map out the route I took (or where I got lost) and save it.

My annual renewal is coming due and I go with the max. program, to include the insurance option, etc.

Here's hoping I never have to hit "HELP" or "911"
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    My SPOT! was easily one of the best purchases I ever made. My wife now allows a bit more latitude in where I go adventuring (provided I "check-in" routinely).

I also enjoying the mapping aspect of my trips. Once home, I can map out the route I took (or where I got lost) and save it.

My annual renewal is coming due and I go with the max. program, to include the insurance option, etc.

Here's hoping I never have to hit "HELP" or "911"
    When I go to Moab I add some of my buddies to the OK list and the message says "Haahahahaha you poor dumb bastard. Don't you wish you were here?"

My shared page from this weekend in Moab: http://www.myxj.net/blog/?page_id=1049

Seems to have worked very well
    Randy Langstraat