Thread: Hiker on BST

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Hiker on BST

Hiker rescued from Shoreline Trail
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 9:49pm
    SALT LAKE CITY -- A hiker unprepared for tonight's storm had to be rescued from the hills above the University of Utah Sunday night.

Search and rescue crews were called to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail just before 8 p.m.

Deputies says the man and his dog were hiking the trail, but he wasn't dressed properly for the cold weather.

Crews reached the man at about 9:20 and helped bring him down the mountain.

Officials say the man is not hurt, just cold.

This story is pretty lame but you have to read through the comments about this story I laughed so hard! Had to share.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...&comments=true

My favorite comment was one from jon.moab

Having made the trek myself, I would have to agree. I remember one particular outing where I was caught in hurricane force winds and hail the size of peas... I felt completely isolated, stranded and hopeless. I decided to lie down to weather the storm. I don't exactly remember the chain of events, but when I came to I was rolling down the hillside. I must have been rolling for 10-15 seconds before I hit the University Hospital parking lot. I truly thought I was going to die, I guess fate was on my side that day...
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't blame 'em. I was just biking in 80 degree weather this weekend.

...but that was in St George

Rescued from BST...

Dang... he could have just climbed over the fence into someone backyard...

Some of the KSL comments....

[color=darkblue](911) Can you see lights from the city?
    (Man) Yes.
    (911) Ok, I want you to walk toward the street lights.
    (Man) Ok.
    (911) Thank you, bye

Ok now that is funny. I'm not familiar with BST but get the drift. It sounds like our Dixie Hill climb here in STG.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

WOW what a great rescue...Was this a blind man

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

"What landmarks are surrounding you right now?"

umm... I see a house with a brick mailbox, and another one with a hedge border by the sidewalk.

"you- you're on the street then? Or are you viewing these from a distance while hanging off a ledge?"

no, I'm in somebody's front yard. They just don't have any street signs around so I have no idea where I'm at. I'm afraid there's not enough room here for the helicopter to land either. I'm really in a pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Rescued from BST...

Dang... he could have just climbed over the fence into someone backyard...

For those not familiar with the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.... it roughly follows the high water shoreline of ancient lake Bonneville along the east side of Salt Lake Valley. What makes this so funny is that the Forest Service land begins and private property ends at this same bench mark. Someones yard backs onto nearly every inch of the trail. Seldom, if ever, are you more then a couple hundred yards from someones house or the University of Utah.

Bonneville Shoreline Trail
    http://www.bonnevilleshorelinetrail.org/

Here is one of the more remote spots on the trail...

Maybe he just wanted an excuse to get some sympathy tail from his wife?

Sorry to spoil the fun but that psycho Brian Mitchell hid Elizabeth Smart for a couple less that one hundred yards from this trail. And he had the entire state looking for him.

My point is that rescue is all relative

Those comments are hilarious!

This story reminds me a bit of something that happened to a guy in Flagstaff several years ago when I was living (and in practice) there.

He had been out one late fall evening on a trail that's pretty close to town, or at least roads. He wasn't dressed for low temps and apparently didn't have a flashlight. The sun went down and he got disoriented and spent the night out in below freezing temps. He survived, but his extremities didn't fare so well: he was referred to my office by the nearby walk-in clinic for frostbite of his toes...oy!

They looked awful when he came in, and I thought for sure he was going to lose many of his toes, including large portions of both big ones. However, by the time everything was all said and done a couple of months later, he had lost a second toe and some soft tissue areas on others. He was an older guy, in his late 50's or 60's, maybe, and a pretty tough dude. I took serial photos of the progression/progress of the frostbite in my office, but sadly, that disk is long gone since that was probably 10 years ago. It was an excellent clinical example of the differences between wet and dry gangrene, tho.

Anyway, not to derail the thread or anything, but I can see how this guy could have gotten himself into trouble if he didn't bring a flashlight along...once the sun goes down on the trails, that's it. I bet he never makes that mistake again, never mind to avoid the public ridicule he received .

-SJ
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

I can just picture this trail very quickly becoming "illuminated" with little "warm up" stations every 200 feet. Tax dollars at work! Also, perhaps detailed information on how far it is to the "end" in spanish and english.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Here is one of the more remote spots on the trail...

Where can I find some good Beta for this stretch of trail?

1. Walk @ 150 yards past the latrine in the parking lot and begin the ascent.
    2. You will pass 2 garbage containers. Note that one of them is for recyclables only. Please do not urinate in them.
    3. @ 1/4 mile later, you'll notice where somebody anchored a bolt - into Mr Johnson's fence. This bolt has been known to be unstable. Please proceed with caution.

You guys are all pretty silly
    Exactly how many spur trails feed into the BST?

KSL is reporting so who the hell know knows where this guy REALLY was . I can only guess based off many of the reason posted above that he was not on the BST but higher up or in one of the dozens of canyon the connect with the BST ... right?

I just imagine some guy sitting at home reading the story on KSL wondering why they said he was on BST when he just parked on the trail head (like many of us do) to access another point in the Wasatch.

Your comments are hurtful. It was quite chilly and I had no sweater. Also, I didn

SAR was called at 8pm, rescue completed at 9:20pm.....

Yeah, that sounds like the guy was in some extreme wilderness.... at least 250 yards from a trailhead.

SAR was called at 8pm, rescue completed at 9:20pm.....

Yeah, that sounds like the guy was in some extreme wilderness.... at least 250 yards from a trailhead.

Well, there was considerable delay since the neighborhood dogs wouldn't get out of the way.

I think it was the man eating deer that caused the major concern.

This may be embarrassing, but his Geocache target was tied to the local house cat's collar. The damn thing just kept moving around throwing off his sense of direction.