Thread: Moab Bogleyfest - May 2009 Canyons, Biking, Hiking, etc...

Moab Bogleyfest - May 2009 Canyons, Biking, Hiking, etc...

Are there any other areas that would be easy to plan?
    I assume you are looking for easy canyons only?

Outside Zion, something like the Black Hole or Escalante is good for June.

Something like Cheesebox, Fry or Short Canyon (near Black Hole) isn't too bad for June because of wading or swimming.

In Escalante some canyons that are pretty easy, but good in June are Boulder Creek, 40 Mile/Willow. Both have crystal clear pools to swim in if it is hot. Davis or Egypt 3 might not be too bad, but the hike out would be hot. Death Hollow is really great in June, but it's an overnighter.

In the Zion area, not all canyons are in the national park and need a permit. Canyons such as Birch or Misery are outside the park though the hikes out might be hot. Boundary might be good, but might be harder than some want?

Some of the Capitol Reef stuff might not be that bad in June though the approach hikes can be hot. Once you are in the canyons (something like Burro, Cottonwood or Fivemile) it will be cool.

In the Swell the Black Boxes are usually good except in really high water years in which case you would want to stay away. Something like Music Canyon would be doable in June because in the upper open end it could be done in the cool of the morning and wading through the Chute (Muddy Creek) in the afternoon is pleasant. Upper Iron Wash is good for June since there is so much swimming.

If I'm not on a project yet, I'm heading down to some of the wet AZ canyons in June, but that would be too far for most people.

As mentioned places like the Roost, North Wash, most of the Swell etc. are quite unpeasant in June. Most of the Swell or Roost for example is prime in say late March, April or early May.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Moab area yet. There are lots of good noob canyons there, ZERO permits required, and it's close to great restaurants, breweries, and motels. Not too great in the way of highly technical slots, but these things are mainly for meeting and hanging out with the guys and gals on the other end of the internets anyways.

Some suggestions:

Medieval Chamber
    Dragonfly
    Elephant Butte
    Lomatium (in small groups)
    Big Horn
    Cameltoe
    ...dare I suggest Granary?

Mill Creek swimming hole would be fun in the June heat.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Moab area yet.
    If doing Moab I'd suggest moving it to a March date before the heat and before the crowds. The June heat would be a killer for about 3/4's of the canyons on your list.

Or ya can hope I get off my lazy ass and hurry and add those four new wet canyons to climb-utah.com before the big day arrives.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Moab area yet.
    If doing Moab I'd suggest moving it to a March date before the heat and before the crowds. The June heat would be a killer for about 3/4's of the canyons on your list.

Or ya can hope I get off my lazy ass and hurry and add those four new wet canyons to climb-utah.com before the big day arrives.

If doing Moab in March steer clear of the weekend of the 21st. That is the Moab 1/2 marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    So is the May get together happening in lieu of "Bogley Fest"? Are they two different trips and is so is the Bogley Fest still happening?
    No. Moab Bogleyfest is the May gathering. Camping, biking, geocaching, canyons for those of us that want to do some local Moab canyons. If someone else would like to organize a June Zion Bogleyfest again, I'd be in. I am already planning on making some dates happen regardless of a Bogley deal or not for Zion in June with my kiddos.

If this is set to roll on May 1st, Zion would be a little chilly still, and some canyons would still hold ice and/or snow (remember Echo canyon last year?)

Moab would be hot but not unbearable.

The Swell/Roost/North Wash might be a good choice, although the amenities are lacking for those who like to camp out in motel rooms.

Escalante could be a really good choice. It's close to the town of Escalante, and there's enough to keep n00bs as well as the more experienced busy.

Since this is Kevin's trip, we should let him decide where.

Since this is Kevin's trip, we should let him decide where.
    Nope, nope - this ain't my trip! (Much as I'd love to join in.) There is Moab on May 1 (or April 30) to May 3, and there is June BogleyFest... And never the twain shall meet. Sounds like Zion in June is a good idea for y'all. I'll be thinking of you!

Is this the same may trip as the one in general discussions?
    I want to hit the may moab, but want to be watching the right place for instruction from our leaders. Or is this one different?
    Mark

Bogley BigShot
    It probably is. I never saw it there. I saw it in the Zion Bogleyfest so split the thread since it was so confusing. I guess it just made another thread confusing. Maybe one of the global moderators can put this thread with the other Moab thread.

Let's send them to the "official" Moab Bogleyfest thread.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15785