Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City Marathon / 5k - April 18th

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Salt Lake City Marathon / 5k - April 18th

Anybody else running in this?

I've been guilted into running the 5k portion the past 4 years now and am taking my 10 year old son and 14 year old niece this year.

Registered as a "Clydesdale" this year!

Last year, I thought "Clydesdale" was somebody over 200 pounds, but I guess it has to do with age. UGH!

I'm hoping to do at least 10 minute miles this year. Not fast, I realize - but I'm no runner. At 215 pounds, I don't float like most runners I've seen, but instead rumble like an entire heard of rhinoceros!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Salt Lake City Marathon / 5k - April 18th

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    At 215 pounds, I don't float like most runners I've seen, but instead rumble like an entire heard of rhinoceros!
    Whatever gets you to the finish line
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I have been thinking about doing the bike ride.... Isn't there a bike riude that follows the marathon route?

My wife is running the 5K with some friends......

from globia:

Despite being heavy animals with a bulky body, rhinos are remarkably fast! The two types of African rhinos can reach a speed of 56 kph while charging an enemy. That

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    You may want to put some padding on that horn in order to mitigate injuries to the unwary during the race.
    My wife's been telling me that for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    I have been thinking about doing the bike ride.... Isn't there a bike riude that follows the marathon route?

My wife is running the 5K with some friends......
    Yup. There's a bike ride too. If I had a better bike (ie.. not WALMART), I'd be tempted to do that portion.

Good thing my wife didn't know about this. She's a marathon addict! We're flying out of SLC on 4/13. She ran the "Way too Cool" 50K this past weekend which is a "hard" 50K over steep trails; as if there was an easy 50K.

Guess we'll have to skip this one, but please don't tell her she could stay on a few days and bag another 26.2.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Hmmmm. Marathon..... didn't they invent the wheel for this sort of thing?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I hear you. It takes a special kind of craziness to find marathons enjoyable.

I've done a few but it's not a huge draw for me. That said, it is pretty cool when you're in the middle of training and doing these long 18-20 mile runs and you top out on a trail and some mountain bikers' jaw drops realizing you ran up to where they are. You just smile and say "Hi" while you jog past.

But, neither my wife nor I are speedy runners. We just plod along too.

And there's no shame in doing any run in any time. Get out there, have some fun and feel good about doing it.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

[/quote]

I hear you. It takes a special kind of craziness to find marathons enjoyable.

I've done a few but it's not a huge draw for me. [/quote]

Hey, how 'bout that Big Sur marathon just a bit south of your location. Ever run that one? What's the slogan: run for the senses or is it run till you're senseless?

I remember one year just before the last aid station a spectator told me, "Don't worry, God's just right up ahead." That threw me off stride a bit (not that I was actually striding at that point), but I recovered to finish even without seeing God during that last mile or so. Maybe the next day was when I realized that she surely said that it was water that was just up ahead. And yet I favor the version that I thought I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    Hey, how 'bout that Big Sur marathon just a bit south of your location. Ever run that one? What's the slogan: run for the senses or is it run till you're senseless?
    No I haven't done Big Sur. My wife has, maybe more than once. I can't keep track of all her races. We have a friend who is a Grizzly Vet who has done every Big Sur Marathon! She's 70-something and still going strong. Amazing. She backpacks too every summer. That's what I'm hoping for; still doing this stuff until I kick the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

I did the half last year and it was pretty fun but I don't think I could ever do a full. The race this year is on my wedding day in Montana so I signed up to do the Ogden half in May. The races are always better than the training!

Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly
    I did the half last year and it was pretty fun but I don't think I could ever do a full. The race this year is on my wedding day in Montana so I signed up to do the Ogden half in May. The races are always better than the training!
    If you can train and complete a half injury-free you can most assuredly do a full. It would take more training (of course) and some significant pain on race day but you could do it. You were more than half way there training-wise.

Now, you might have meant to say "there's no way I ever want to do a full marathon! I would understand that, but if it is something that you've felt you wanted to do, don't sell yourself short.

Oh, and congratulations on your wedding! That's a pretty good excuse for missing a race.

ststephen wrote:
    If you can train and complete a half injury-free you can most assuredly do a full. It would take more training (of course) and some significant pain on race day but you could do it. You were more than half way there training-wise.

Now, you might have meant to say "there's no way I ever want to do a full marathon! I would understand that, but if it is something that you've felt you wanted to do, don't sell yourself short.

Oh, and congratulations on your wedding! That's a pretty good excuse for missing a race.
    Thanks! I am more on the fence about running a full. I think it would be doable but I don't want to commit that much training to it any time soon.

BUMP!

What a turn-out this morning. There were THOUSANDS running the 5k this morning. What a great run.

Saw quite a few projectile vomiting (much spaghetti), and saw many runner:bike collisions.

Pre-Race photo (30 minutes to start)

8:20 timer

At the Finish line - Far right side

Pre race cool down (Nick and Megan)

Reviewing finish line video (Me)

Saw quite a few projectile vomiting (much spaghetti), and saw many runner:bike collisions.

and saw many runner:bike collisions.
    VERY disappointed in the behavior of some of the bikers we watched coming in while we waited for my wife & 2 friends(the 5K) and another friend who did the half.

Apparently if you are on a bike, you can yell at the runners that are in your way......

As stated in the rules, all bikes should have been pulled off the course at 1:45.....

Okay, now that I have that out.....Nice pics BruteForce! Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    Apparently if you are on a bike, you can yell at the runners that are in your way......
    Agreed. I think the Bike Marshalls were the worst. Upon getting to the Rio Grande area, we watched a Bike Marshall get into a verbal (then almost physical) altercation with a pedestrian.

Hard to run with an 11 year old. Small legs and the arrogant SOB"s behind us would run him over if they were trying to pass. I had to try to keep him in front of me (to shield him) most of the race; makes running difficult.

Hard to run with an 11 year old. Small legs and the arrogant SOB"s behind us would run him over if they were trying to pass. I had to try to keep him in front of me (to shield him) most of the race; makes running difficult.
    Wow. I think about then I'd "accidentally" knock someone on a bike over. Sorry....I tripped. Freakin' jerks need a lesson in manners. I know none of the bikers at Bogley are like that, but that pisses me off.