Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local phrases that make you crazy

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Local phrases that make you crazy

There is one expression used quite frequently out here (meaning out here in Utah) that just really gets on my nerves for some reason. Maybe it's the way it's said......I don't know. The phrase is "Sure 'preciate ya!" usually accompanied by a really wide grin with the top lip pulled up and back (think Jim Carrey's character "Fire Marshall Bill" from the "In Living Color" tv show) Sorry if I'm offending anyone. There are plenty of expressions from back home that I'm sick to death of as well.

So come on......speak up. What's your least favorite phrase - local or otherwise? btw.......you can't use "My heck"........it's a given.

Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fugetaboutit !!!

"Always look at the bright side of life"

Re: Local phrases that make you crazy

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    The phrase is "Sure 'preciate ya!"
    Boy, you know what is worse than that? The fact that you apparently hear it so often it bothers you, and I have never heard it at all ;(. I usually hear things like "You're sure just okay", or "Sure don't like you". (I'm just kidding with that. I was just trying to poke fun at how great you must be that you hear that so much it bothers you).

An expression I don't like is
    ...In one quick second
    or
    one quick minute
    . A second is always a second and a minute is always a minute. The amount of time they take never changes. The reason these sentences bother me so much is that I am always telling people that and every time I realize that it makes no sense.

Whatever Don. I know with every fiber of my being that you recognize the worth of that phrase.... oh wait. That is annoying :)

I hate people calling Desert Horned Lizards - "Horny Toads" and it's not the Horny part, it's the Toads....they're LIZARDS!

And some that only the mormon crowd may have heard

"I just want to publicly express..."

"I'd be ungrateful if I didn't..."

And other testimony meeting classics

Yes I am a Texan, kind of. More of a transplant from California to Texas now living on Colorado. But when I first moved to Texas and heard, "I'm fixin to".....I could never adopt that phrase into my vocabulary.

"Hey Ya'll I'm fixin to go get me a coke" (meaning Mr. Pibb).

Also I can't STAND when people say POP for soda. Especially if they pronounce it PAAP. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Also Orange is not pronounced ARINGE. And Florida is not Flarida.

For some reason, the locals up here don't live in Washington. They live in Warshington. And if they squarsh a bug on their shirt, they'll put it in the warsh.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    For some reason, the locals up here don't live in Washington. They live in Warshington. And if they squarsh a bug on their shirt, they'll put it in the warsh.
    My Grandma speaks like that and it does bother me.

Soo funny! I can relate to each one of these posts. How about "Hey are you going hiking up at ZionS National park today?" and "Oh my hell"?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Ignernt.
    I hear it ALL the time "Thats just plain ignernt!
    oh, and huntin.
    Why is it so hard to say ignorant or hunting? what bothers me the most though is people that want to axe me a quesson.
    Let me ask you a question you ignorant ****, did your mom have any kids that lived? or are you simply the product of your momma humping the goat while your pappy was off huntin?

Everyone up here in NorCal can't understand why everyone in SoCal has to be a "the" in front of their highway numbers: "The 405".

Of course, they can't understand why we can tolerate merely saying "take 17 over the hill"

Some other oddities I hear in CA are: pronouncing Kindergarden "Kindy-Garden" and mirror "meer".
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty
    Ignernt.

Let me ask you a question you ignorant ****, did your mom have any kids that lived? or are you simply the product of your momma humping the goat while your pappy was off huntin?
    Wow. I guess that really does bother you :).

Chance is right with the axe thing. It's a ghetto slang that should stay in the ghetto, heh. Go axe your mother!
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Ignernt.
    I hear it ALL the time "Thats just plain ignernt!
    Come a little further south in Southern Utah County and you get to add the word "turd" to the ingernt. "Why you little turd! Don't you be ignernt with me." That is child abuse on so many levels. The word "turd" drives me nuts.

Another phrase is the "I'm goin downt the D.I." or "Down at the D.I." I am not making fun of D.I. because I have been known to go there for an item or two.

One last thing that makes me crazy is when people "Santiquinize" a kid's name. I have noticed that the closer one lives to Santiquin, the more this happens. Now I know that many cultures and races have unique names but Santiquin is the worst because they start with bad names to begin with and then combine them to make a new meaningful "family" name. Earl and Ilene end up with Earlene or Bill and Shauna end up with a kid named Bilauna. People, buy a name book for crying out loud. The kid has to live with that abomination for the rest of his/her life.
    Life is Good

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Yep......I can agree with Abirken on the "fixin'" thing although I am guilty guilty guilty of still using the expression. And in the South, there are many types of carbonated beverages, but when you go to buy one, it's almost always expressed as "going to get a Coke". Southerners never say "pop" they call such a "soft drink".

Another National saying I am tired of: Stimulus Package

Like most other stimulus type packages, it's most likely over-inflated and won't live up to its promises.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    Yep......I can agree with Abirken on the "fixin'" thing although I am guilty guilty guilty of still using the expression. And in the South, there are many types of carbonated beverages, but when you go to buy one, it's almost always expressed as "going to get a Coke". Southerners never say "pop" they call such a "soft drink".

Another National saying I am tired of: Stimulus Package

Like most other stimulus type packages, it's most likely over-inflated and won't live up to its promises.
    Every time I hear it mentioned, even on the news, I always want to reply; I've got your stimulus package right here.
    I know, immature, I can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Chance is right with the axe thing. It's a ghetto slang that should stay in the ghetto, heh. Go axe your mother!
    axe really does send me int to a tizzy :D so does an email or forum post thats typed in all text talk to teen speak or what ever you want to call it, its one thing in a text, but here you have a whole keyboard! use the damn thing! :D
    Turd does not get to me so much, I tell my 5 year old all the time, "go flush the toilet! no one wants to walk in and see your turd floating there!"
    Luckily I know only one person from santy, and she did not get named after both her parents. thinking about santy though, I have inlaws that moved down near there after they retired, if I hear one more person tell me about headin to lightnin lake...I promise to hook them up to the truck with jumper cables attached to their nipples.
    Fixin I do like :D I say it to redneck turds all the time with a heavy fake accent, Im fixing to whoop yo bg ass dair bubba!
    Its because its so horrid that its fun to say, its not for normal conversation.
    I also hate shizzle, it was stoopid (spelled correctly :D) when it was not a decade old, its far worse now. Would be wanna be gangstas, ad fo instead of for, and bra! The next time someone calls me Bra, i swear I am gonna cram a turd on the exhaust manifold of his car.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    axe really does send me int to a tizzy :D so does an email or forum post thats typed in all text talk to teen speak or what ever you want to call it, its one thing in a text, but here you have a whole keyboard! use the damn thing! :D
    Turd does not get to me so much, I tell my 5 year old all the time, "go flush the toilet! no one wants to walk in and see your turd floating there!"
    Luckily I know only one person from santy, and she did not get named after both her parents. thinking about santy though, I have inlaws that moved down near there after they retired, if I hear one more person tell me about headin to lightnin lake...I promise to hook them up to the truck with jumper cables attached to their nipples.
    Fixin I do like :D I say it to redneck turds all the time with a heavy fake accent, Im fixing to whoop yo bg ass dair bubba!
    Its because its so horrid that its fun to say, its not for normal conversation.
    I also hate shizzle, it was stoopid (spelled correctly :D) when it was not a decade old, its far worse now. Would be wanna be gangstas, ad fo instead of for, and bra! The next time someone calls me Bra, i swear I am gonna cram a turd on the exhaust manifold of his car.
    Life is Good

A
    Dumb-A
    A-hole
    Eff
    Freak
    Fetch
    Flip
    Fudge
    Oh My Gosh
    Oh My Heck, especially Oh My Freaking Heck
    Dang it
    Darn it, and Gosh Darn It All
    Holy crap
    Bullspit
    Spit
    Shoot
    Shiite
    Shizz
    Geez
    Cheese
    Judas Priest
    Cheez 'n' Rice (I actually use this one as it still goes right by my coworkers)

or my favorite used by someone who no longer works here:

"Got down sat on a bench!"

and

"Oh for Fox Creek!"

If you're gonna swear, SWEAR! If you're actually inserting these words in place of actual adjectives, I'm not gonna think of you as any less unintelligent than anybody else who can't finish a sentence without cursing.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...