Thread: Wasatch Winter Overnight - Backcountry

Wasatch Winter Overnight - Backcountry

I am not sure if this belongs here or in the skiing/snowboarding area. Move as necessary.

My brother visited from Virginia for the past week and a half and we decided to do an overnight backcountry trip on Saturday, March 7. I grabbed my splitboard and he rented one from Wasatch Touring at about 5pm and after a few unscheduled stops, we headed up to LCC. We started touring about 6pm but this was the day before daylight savings so it was getting dark fast. We headed up Pole Line to Cardiff Pass which was pitch black by the time we got to the top. It was pretty awesome being out there at night. We used headlamps at times but didn't need most of the time because it was a few days before full moon. It was perfectly clear which also meant it was perfectly cold. I believe it got down to about 6 degrees overnight but it felt nice while ascending.

My brother had never been on skins before but did pretty well. A few spots on the ridge get a little tricky but we took our time and made it to the sub-ridge before Superior and decided to make camp. I had borrowed a Black Diamond Betamid from a co-worker and it worked out perfectly. It is only 2.25 pounds and you use ski poles at tent poles. We dug down a few feet, laid emergency blankets on the snow, Thermarest and then sleeping bags. The shelter held up pretty well but we experienced some very high winds (you can see in a couple of the photos). By morning we had a few holes where snow anchors had let loose. The wind was circulating a little bit of snow around the tent and even though we had snow on us, we were nice and toasty.

After packing up, we took a very good lap in Cardiff. The snow was perfect. (I am holding all of my avalanche gear in the one riding photo, so I could leave my pack at the ridge). After getting back to the ridge, we made our way to Little Superior and descended about noon (after daylights savings). It was good up top but a little sloppy down low.

All in all, a great adventure and some great riding. Neither of us had ever camped overnight in the mountains in winter or skied backcountry at night. I was also pretty stoked to fit all of our overnight gear into our normal backcountry packs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, very cool! I bet it felt great skiing/boarding out of there after it was all said and done.

Did you guys bring a professional photography crew? You got some great pictures!

This one was especially nice

Actually they were taken with my old Canon G6 that I have had many great experiences with. It has been a while since I've shot any photos with it.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice TR.

I've wanted to get into winter backcountry skiing. I'm jealous

A tarp in the snow; nice. You've either got bigger balls than me or a better sleeping bag.

Wow great report man, looks like a great trip to remember for years! Very cool in the winter camping like you did...sweet!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

thanks for the great photos and nice trip report.

please consider posting in the skiing section, directing folks to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    A tarp in the snow; nice. You've either got bigger balls than me or a better sleeping bag.
    or perhaps a little of column a, a little of column b?

awesome TR, thanks man

That's an epic trip. Thanks for posting it.