Thread: Fat Mans Misery

Fat Mans Misery

Going to take a stroll today with friends. We're going to hike as far as the first drop into "West Fork Fat Mans" and back out. Don't ask why we wouldn't just bag Fat Mans at the same time Anyway I hope to post a photo or two tonight of the conditions for those that may be interested! Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Fat Mans Misery

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Going to take a stroll today with friends. We're going to hike as far as the first drop into "West Fork Fat Mans" and back out. Don't ask why we wouldn't just bag Fat Mans at the same time Anyway I hope to post a photo or two tonight of the conditions for those that may be interested! Cheers!
    Sorry Bo. I'll come down and then we can bag Fat Mans and the east fork of Fat Mans in the same trip.

Bogley BigShot
    Sounds like a fun Trip.

Fat Mans

A couple photos to begin with. The first is where the "technical" Fat Mans descent begins. The second shows the slickrock descent into the major drainage known as West Fork Fat Mans. The 3rd shows the West Fork Fat Mans, but looking north upcanyon from the ridge before dropping into the major drainage of Fat Mans; looking north to the ridge that separates Parunuweap and Route 9. The fourth is a photo I took from high up on Quilt Mountain as I searched for what I thought might be an arch. No Arch there but the view shows the route from the saddle, around the southern tip of Checkerboard and to what I refer to the Whales Back "white slickrock ridge" to aim for to make the descent into West Fork Fat Mans. The fifith photo shows some of the deep snow we encountered on the way up the canyon separating Checkerboard and Quilt Mountain! It was an absolute BEAUTIFUL day with a GREAT hiking partner! More photos to follow!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: Fat Mans

A couple photos to begin with. The first is where the "technical" Fat Mans descent begins. The second shows the slickrock descent into the major drainage known as West Fork Fat Mans. The 3rd shows the West Fork Fat Mans, but looking north upcanyon from the ridge before dropping into the major drainage of Fat Mans; looking north to the ridge that separates Parunuweap and Route 9. The fourth is a photo I took from high up on Quilt Mountain as I searched for what I thought might be an arch. No Arch there but the view shows the route from the saddle, around the southern tip of Checkerboard and to what I refer to the Whales Back "white slickrock ridge" to aim for to make the descent into West Fork Fat Mans. The fifith photo shows some of the deep snow we encountered on the way up the canyon separating Checkerboard and Quilt Mountain! It was an absolute BEAUTIFUL day with a GREAT hiking partner! More photos to follow!
    [b]Actually, the first picture is the best hiking partner around. Tanya! What a delight to get out again with you after a 6 month layoff. Not to mention...please stop The Desert Rat when our doors open in a couple weeks! Tanya...welcome aboard!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    It felt great to be back out with Bo! My favorite hiking partner ever... As he said I am even going to work a bit at his new outdoor store in St. Geroge - The Desert Rat. It should be fun.

Wow. I need a hiking partner like this. For some reason I can never convince my hiking partners to hike in a sports bra.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I love the views on this hike. We did the canyon for Bogleyfest last year and it was a blast. But that hike was not fun on the way in or out in the June heat. Some great views though.
    Thanks for feeding my southern utah hunger with your pics!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    Wow. I need a hiking partner like this. For some reason I can never convince my hiking partners to hike in a sports bra.
    The secret is to tell your hiking partner that you'll be leaving for just a moment to take care of natures calling. but never stray too far and hide behind the nearest manzanita to capture someone as near to nature as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I love the views on this hike. We did the canyon for Bogleyfest last year and it was a blast. But that hike was not fun on the way in or out in the June heat. Some great views though.
    East Side of Zion RULES! I could spend a lifetime looking......hmmmmm? Maybe I will? Glad that some pictures bring you to reminiscence!

Bogley BigShot
    First 'hike' canyon with Tom Jones and he has us all in BRA's.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    It felt great to be back out with Bo! My favorite hiking partner ever... As he said I am even going to work a bit at his new outdoor store in St. Geroge - The Desert Rat. It should be fun.
    What a beautiful day with such a blossom! No one except you can make a perfect day into bliss as you can Tanya! Thanks for allowing me to join. I only hope for many more to come. As soon as the restarurant next door opens (and The Desert Rat!) I wanna be the first to sit down with you to relax, have a cup of tea and remenisce, and plan for the next unknown!; Remember.....one door closes, but two windows open!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Parunuweap Canyon - Fat Man's Misery
    with Elephant Butte 4WD Exit
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-canyon.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm

Granted Pweap is not the best for newbie.. newbies... unless you want to get rid of them. --BUT!!! It was my very very very first canyon ever!

ps... Nelson.... You should go to the gym. All the ladies are running on the treadmill in them.

Bogley BigShot
    What a beautiful day with such a blossom! No one except you can make a perfect day into bliss as you can Tanya! Thanks for allowing me to join. I only hope for many more to come. As soon as the restarurant next door opens (and The Desert Rat!) I wanna be the first to sit down with you to relax, have a cup of tea and remenisce, and plan for the next unknown!; Remember.....one door closes, but two windows open!
    ~*~SMOOCH~*~ ditto!

First 'hike' canyon with Tom Jones and he has us all in BRA's.
    Geeze! I need to do some more hiking with Tom and save my energy!

~*~SMOOCH~*~ ditto!
    Love ya'dear and look very much forward to having you! Sure you don't want to help lay the wood flooring?! Wow...do I need the chiro! I'm young...we'll make it hsppen! One week and I'll transform from construction to "Normal" maybe? Nah.....I think I'll always be a degenerate, recalcitrant....I Love It!

ps... Nelson.... You should go to the gym. All the ladies are running on the treadmill in them.
    I know, sometimes I get behind one of those soccer moms and I just keep trying and trying to catch them but they never get closer. Somethings you can jog behind forever.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bogley BigShot

Bogley BigShot
    ~*~SMOOCH~*~ ditto!
    Love ya'dear and look very much forward to having you! Sure you don't want to help lay the wood flooring?! Wow...do I need the chiro! I'm young...we'll make it hsppen! One week and I'll transform from construction to "Normal" maybe? Nah.....I think I'll always be a degenerate, recalcitrant....I Love It!

I offered

I will have to stop in and see how it looks. Your new store is going to be so outdoorsy.. I love it!