Thread: Stop right there - before you go any further!!!

Stop right there - before you go any further!!!

Torture Play List: The Top 10 Most Painful Songs
    Posted Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27am PDT by Shawn Amos in GetBack

Barry Manilow has now joined the ranks of Metallica and Barney the Dinosaur. They are all part of that exclusive group of musicians whose songs are used as torture. The controversial practice involves blasting music at ear-splitting volumes for hours on end. A truly annoying song helps. U.S. soldiers have used it on everyone from Manual Noriega to the prisoners locked up at Gitmo. Predictably, most songwriters don't dig this kind of use. It's not the kind of audience they had in mind when hoping for a hit.

Manilow hasn't made it onto the U.S. Armed Forces torture play list

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OMG Britney's "Baby One More Time" over and over and over would just kill me. I would start crying and break down within an hour
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

how about television theme music. i think the theme from gilligans island or the brady bunch would make people want to spill their guts in no time.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I would swap metalica and neil diamond. Those guys drive me crazy. UGH!! I've not heard meatloaf so can't comment, but "enter sandman" would probably be my number one hated song on the planet. Another one I think would kill would be that Cher song "Do you belieeeeveee in life after love?" Oh man it brings me to tears worse than anything I know. I would probably go into a room filled with tear gas before I went into a room playing Cher constantly.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Instead of complaining about having their music added to this list, these guys should put out a CD and market it as the torture CD. I figure it can only help them.

1. Meat Loaf
    "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
    Oh man.... I love that song.... some of the best lyrics ever.... The sportscaster on the radio is awesome....

Thanks Ice, I had not heard that song before. Must be a generational gap kinda thing. At first I thought he was Ozzy Oz in his "fat" years.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Another one I think would kill would be that Cher song "Do you belieeeeveee in life after love?" Oh man it brings me to tears worse than anything I know. I would probably go into a room filled with tear gas before I went into a room playing Cher constantly.

I can't believe this......but I have to agree with you HANDS DOWN on this. What a musical DISASTER "Do you belieeeeeeeveee in life after love?" Don't forget to kind of do a turkey gobble sound on the "believe" part.

The other night at Safeway, they were playing a Cher song and the check out dude was like, "Oh man! I love Cher. I have her greatest hits. It's the best road trip music EVER." He was serious. True story. Yup.

So yes Deathcricket, I'd happily walk into a room full of tear gas before listening to Cher.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    1. Meat Loaf
    "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
    Oh man.... I love that song.... some of the best lyrics ever.... The sportscaster on the radio is awesome....

That would be Hall of Famer New York Yankee shortstop and broadcaster Phil "The Scooter" Rizzuto. From Wikipedia:

Ostensibly an account of a baseball sequence, it actually describes the singer's step-by-step efforts to lose his virginity. Rizzuto was reportedly unaware of the suggestive double entendre nature of his spoken contribution, and claimed to be annoyed by the song's success after he began receiving disapproving letters from clergymen. However, by the time he was given a gold record for the album, the mini-controversy had been smoothed over. "Phil was no dummy," said singer Meat Loaf. "He knew exactly what was going on, and he told me such. He was just getting some heat from a priest and felt like he had to do something. I totally understood."

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Anything by the group ABBA
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    DITTO THAT! You mean you didn't see Mama Mia? HAHA! It's the only reason I didn't see it........b/c of ABBA.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    I can't believe this......but I have to agree with you HANDS DOWN on this. What a musical DISASTER "Do you belieeeeeeeveee in life after love?" Don't forget to kind of do a turkey gobble sound on the "believe" part.

The other night at Safeway, they were playing a Cher song and the check out dude was like, "Oh man! I love Cher. I have her greatest hits. It's the best road trip music EVER." He was serious. True story. Yup.

So yes Deathcricket, I'd happily walk into a room full of tear gas before listening to Cher.
    Glad I'm not alone in my distaste of Cher, hehe.
    *High Five*

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    DITTO THAT! You mean you didn't see Mama Mia? HAHA! It's the only reason I didn't see it........b/c of ABBA.
    I'm a Meryl Streep fan, but that's exactly the reason I didn't see the movie either! No offense, but I just can't handle Abba's music.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

They should add nancy sinatras "these boots were made for walking"
    after typing that... I think that years back, maybe the davidian branch compound in waco texas.... I do think they did play that nonstop for a long long time. IF not there, someplace, I am sure of it. Looks like its already been added, or maybe was a standard and has just been taken out of rotation :D