Thread: Spot tracker it really works

Spot tracker it really works

This probably should be posted in snowmobiling but the spot device is designed for all those who play in the outdoors and this forum is pretty popular.

I was suppose to go to Lebarge Wyoming today snowmobiling but had to many things going on. My buddies went with out me and and at 1:00 I get a call from one of their wives that he had pushed the 911 emergency response on his spot. The spot tracker operator had contacted her with his location and to tell her that search and rescue had been dispatched from lincoln county wyoming. When signing up for this service he also signed up for the insurance and send the helicopter option? Due to this a helicopter was dispatched to his location. A life flight helicopter arrived around 3:00 pm. The helicopter beat search and rescue. One individual had broke his back and they loaded him up and away they went.

I along with everyone in this party are now firm believers in the spot device. From pushing the button to having a helicopter in a couple of hours is amazing. We are interested in how the cost of the helicopter will be dealt with where the individual hurt was not the spot owner, but the guy is in the hospital and safe. As he said when they pushed the button "I do not care what it costs get me out of here".
    I'll keep you informed on how the cost get covered but the spot was impressive today.
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent - good to know! I love having mine, and hope that things go as well if needed. A speedy recovery to your friend!

wish I hadn't left mine in Lost Park Canyon

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great SPOT report. I take mine on every trip(if I remember)

Was your friend caught in an avy? How did he break his back?

I've been way careful on my sled this year, avoiding most hills.

The guy that got hurt I personally do not know. The guy who had the spot is my buddy, but he jumped off of some massive cornice and landed bad.
    For those not familiar with what a spot is here is there website.
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Mark

Thanks Marc, I was just reading responses from other Utah mafia guys and found out how it happened. Hope he recovers well.

I guess it's time I check into buying a spot. I know it would make the wife happy.

Yes and no?
    My buddy just left my office from telling me the story. He has been on the phone this morning with spot and S & R.
    When spot receives a 911 call they contact the sherriff etc for the area of the emergency. They try to stay in contact with that entity until the rescue has been resolved.

As far as the helicopter insurance that spot offers. They did not dispatch the helicopter, There insurance will step in as a secondary coverage to cover the cost if S&R deems a helicopter is nec.

In this particular instance. After pushing the spot locator, 2 of the group rode out for help. Contacted Sherriff stated the emergency, wanted a helicopter, this is when the heli was dispatched. These guys then ran into search and rescue who had been dispatched by spot. They rode back in with search and rescue.

My buddy is now headed down to get a sat phone? For the extra initial cost of the phone and about $10-15 more per month he feels its worth it.
    He now feels if you are going to spend some coin for a rescue device go with the one that you can communicate with and get help immediately?
    If the two guys hadn't rode out by the time search and rescue had showed up and then got a helicopter dispatched they probably would of had to wait till the next day due to darkness?

Everything turned out ok, but since he has now actually been down the path he wants instant communication. That's his 2 cents. Oh and he can't sit down due to the chewing his wife gave him when he got home for the panic she was in for 5 hours not knowing.
    Mark

This post should of been starting in snowmobile but I have no idea how to move it. Here is a link to another forum I participate on with pics of the accident if you want to check them out.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141482&page=2

Blog Entries
    So this Spot device costs $100 for annual fee right, and an additional $50 for "real-time" uploading to Google Earth for family/friends. But obviously, no communication - like texts or calls.

And Iridium Sattelite phones offer their services like this: u buy the phone and a $140 prepaid phone card (for 75+mins) and u get no monthly fees, or contracts. I went with this method. Yeah the minutes are expensive like nearly $2 a min (1.85 a min actually) but when I'm out and about just a quick phone call when I reach my destination, such as "Hi honey, I'm here, All is good. Its cold but all prepared. I'm leaving tomorrow for 2nd day in Imlay, and probably be done at 4:00pm. I"ll call you then. Love you - bye." About a min quick - keep her informed (most important part) - conversation. I caculate the phone costs into my trip budget. I put about $5-10 each trip. And it works great for me...and the best part - instant communication which is importatnt to me and the better half of me. just food for thought....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    This post should of been starting in snowmobile but I have no idea how to move it. Here is a link to another forum I participate on with pics of the accident if you want to check them out.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141482&page=2
    Thanks for putting it here, Mark. Folks are interested in the SPOT and how it works out in the wild.

Interesting. Kinda works, but seems like the SAT phone is much more useful. Seems like it should have TWO 911 buttons - "911 ground" and "911 heli".

T

On the Spot are you able to tell whether it was able to successfully send the "Check In" or "911" message?

I only know this second hand, when you push the emergency button if you watch the led lights on the unit they stop blinking and go solid for a second. Which suppposedly tells you the message went out.

If purchasing a spot I would verify this?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    I only know this second hand, when you push the emergency button if you watch the led lights on the unit they stop blinking and go solid for a second. Which suppposedly tells you the message went out.

If purchasing a spot I would verify this?

Mark
    That is right Mark, they usually go solid for 3-5 seconds. You need to be watching closely to not miss it.

I own one of these and I even take mine with me skiing and mtbing. I go it alone and you just never know. These are so much better than a PLB. I like having it and my wife loves it. You can send out "hey how ya doing here I am"s as well as "Help" and "911". So I think the "help" would be the "911 ground" and the "911" is the "get me out of here at any cost".

A person has to know what they are getting themselves into by pressing 911.

This units gps has a lot to be desired for. It is very slow at getting a location. Trees seem to pose more of a problem for these than just regular hand helds units sold now days? The lights do work as mentioned so if you are paying close attention you will see it. It may take up to 10-15 minutes to get the "hello" signal out. Help and 911 may be different. I hope I never have to find out.

I am still glad I have one and the $100 year is worth it. I am often out of cell range and playing hard. I recommend it.

I am really interested in hearing if the SPOT insurance helps pay the heli-rescue for non owner.

According to my buddy, spot only has responsibility for the insured customer.
    Mark