Thread: This years new gun laws is legislation

This years new gun laws is legislation

HB357Loaded guns in vehicle without a CWP

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5825862

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Lawmakers have voted to allow loaded guns in cars and homes without requiring a concealed weapons permit.

House Bill 357, sponsored by Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, would allow anyone without a criminal record to carry a concealed loaded gun in their car or someone else's car with consent from its owner.

The bill would exempt gun owners from concealed weapons permit requirements if the firearms are kept only in their vehicle, home or on their property.

The bill was amended in the Senate to restrict minors from carrying firearms in vehicles and to add language that loaded rifles or shotguns still can't be carried in a vehicle.

The House concurred with the Senate amendments 63-8 on Wednesday. The bill will now be sent to the governor.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Great law, Lets just hope the Gov signs it now.

And

SB78-Gun in Vehicle in Private lots

Bill would allow guns to remain in cars in secured lots
    February 17th, 2009 @ 4:34pm
    (KSL News) A Senate committee has advanced a bill allowing gun owners to keep a gun in their vehicle, so long as it's parked in a private lot.

Senate Bill 78 says a business can only stop an employee from bringing a firearm if the parking area is secured, which requires a fence and a security guard.

Those businesses will then be required to provide gun lockers if they don't want firearms kept in cars.

The bill passed the committee unanimously and goes up for vote in the full Senate
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=343&sid=5621921

It's not looking like this one is going to pass, the House/Sennate are fighting with each other on this one. To bad it was also a good one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It looks like they are both going to pass, as long as the Governer signs them.

HB357 is awesome!

As much as I am for gun rights, I'm wondering about the property rights issue with SB78.
    prohibit certain persons from creating or enforcing a policy that prohibits the storage of firearms in a motor vehicle parked on property owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the person...
    Essentially if I have private property, and i don't want people to have guns in their cars on my property, this law wouldn't allow me to have a policy prohibiting it. I would like to be able to bring my gun where ever I go, but on someone's private property, it should be up to them.

Somebody convince me otherwise...

The right to protect yourself by having your weapon with you trumps property rights. Kind of like any "No Weapons" signs in Utah don't mean squat leagally in Utah, they are jsut a store policy. I don't think that I should have to have a permit in my pocket just so I can carry a gun with me, but it is the law so you have to do it.

Hmmm, not sure i like argument that one right trumps another. If one doesn't like the policy of a company, they can choose not to park there, or not work there. I don't like giving government authority to dictate what people do on their own land.
    Still open to being convinced....

These both got signed by Gov Huntsman. If you want to leave comments for him about it (thanking him or berating him ), here's the comment form
    http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Seriously. WTF?

Re: This years new gun laws is legislation

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Lawmakers have voted to allow loaded guns in cars and homes without requiring a concealed weapons permit.
    When was it ever against the law to have a loaded gun in your home in Utah? Biased reporting I would say.

BTW, I believe this will now give us a 100% fail rating with the Brady organization, an accomplishment which I am quite proud of.

It's always been legal to carry however you want (concealed or not, loaded or not) while on your own private property.

Yes, biased or ignorant reporting. Typical.

And yeah, James, what gives???
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead_madness
    Biased reporting I would say.
    Yes it is. You have to figure into the equation the mainstream media, which is left promoting and left promoting agencies are 99% anti-gun. But don't fear, Biden owns a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Seriously. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by tapehoser
    And yeah, James, what gives???
    These are rhetorical, right