Thread: Roost Conditions

Roost Conditions

Anyone been into the Roost lately? I'm heading in and planning on doing the Robber's Roost canyons starting on 3/19. Interested in the road conditions; esp the one feeding the Middle Forks. Even if you haven't been down that road recently, is it normally passable by a Subaru; or do you need 4wd/high clearance? Also interested in how much water people have found in the Roost; even if they aren't the same canyons...

Planning on doing North Middle Fork, Little Middle Fork, South Fork and North Fork. Haven't done any of them; since they are rated 3A's by Kelsey, I was not planning on taking wetsuits. Please advise if you know differently... ;)

Thanks for any info!
    A.J.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Roost Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Interested in the road conditions; esp the one feeding the Middle Forks. Even if you haven't been down that road recently, is it normally passable by a Subaru;
    Depends on the blowing sand.... sometimes you can drive a passenger car to the TH and sometimes you will have a big sand dune or two across the road that requires 4x4. And this condition can change over night this time of year.... you know.... with the in like a lion thing and all.....

Planning on doing North Middle Fork, Little Middle Fork, South Fork and North Fork. Haven't done any of them; since they are rated 3A's by Kelsey, I was not planning on taking wetsuits. Please advise if you know differently...
    I've to lazy to look up the MK cross-reference name.... tell what everyone else in the free world knows the canyon by and I'll give you a thumbs up or down on the wetsuit for each....

Planning on doing North Middle Fork, Little Middle Fork, South Fork and North Fork. Haven't done any of them; since they are rated 3A's by Kelsey, I was not planning on taking wetsuits. Please advise if you know differently... ;)

Thanks for any info!
    A.J.
    I don't think you would need a wetsuit in any of these canyons, even if they were unusually wet. I've been through North Middle Fork and South Fork a few times and Little Middle once. They shouldn't hold much water, perhaps knee to waist deep at most.

Nat

Thanks Nat!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I've to lazy to look up the MK cross-reference name.... tell what everyone else in the free world knows the canyon by and I'll give you a thumbs up or down on the wetsuit for each....

Sorry Shane, don't know of any other names for them. Essentially, it's the entire Robber's Roost system. You only have the North fork on your website Shane (we are going out the crack exit.)

Take care,
    A.J.

Sorry Shane, don't know of any other names for them. Essentially, it's the entire Robber's Roost system. You only have the North fork on your website Shane
    Actually I believe I have most of the Robbers Roost system.... or at least most of that worth doing...

we are going out the crack exit.
    And you might want to do a little more research. The moki exit is a better exit for much of what you have planned.

Enjoy your trip...

Did Alcatraz and Larry last weekend, they were both BONE dry. No water anywhere. I would assume the RR canyons would be the same. Road conditions were stellar. Hardly any washboards at all and no dunes to rally over. I taook my Audi out too. Hope that helps

Actually I believe I have most of the Robbers Roost system.... or at least most of that worth doing...
    Checked out: http://www.climb-utah.com/Roost/index.htm

I only see the North Fork of RR canyon; not the middle or South Forks. I recognize most of the other names. I'm talking about the actual RR canyon system; not the RR area. You definitely have the good stuff there. I'm working on seeing the rest of the stuff out there too. ;)

we are going out the crack exit.
    And you might want to do a little more research. The moki exit is a better exit for much of what you have planned.
    We are using the Moki exit for the middle forks and the angel arch trail for the South fork. Crack for North Fork, which is the one you had on your system; mainly because it's shorter (we are doing NF on the drive home day) and that it sounds fun!

Enjoy your trip...

Definitely. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Did Alcatraz and Larry last weekend, they were both BONE dry. No water anywhere. I would assume the RR canyons would be the same. Road conditions were stellar. Hardly any washboards at all and no dunes to rally over. I taook my Audi out too. Hope that helps
    Yep, definitely helps. Thanks!

AJ, look at the bottom of the North Fork page and you will find info on Ho Hum Canyon.

Robbers Roost - North Fork
    http://climb-utah.com/pr/rrnf.htm

Ho Hum was placed there because I didn't consider it worthy of it's own page. I normally only write up routes I deem "worthy".

Thanks for the info all! Will post a conditions report when I get back...