Thread: Racing...How serious is it.

Racing...How serious is it.

Like I mentioned in another thread I've only been mountain biking "seriously" for about a year. Now when I say seriously I don't mean anything hard core, just hitting a trail every saturday (5-25 miles depending on time) and more frequently in the summer.

I was looking at the upcoming Intermountain cup races here in St. George/Hurricane coming up. I'm just curious if it is something I would enjoy (hopping in the beginner class 19-29) or if everyone out there is just super hard core and I'd be better off saving my money and just hitting some trails on my own that day?

I'm a competitive guy, but obviously wouldn't be expecting any sort of great results. Just wondering if it's something I can get into semi-casually or if it's pretty well full of guys that train hard for it.

Seems like the Beginner class should have plenty of other folks like me in it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd say go for it. The beginner class is pretty casual for the most part. There are a few guys that take it pretty seriously but more that are the casually serious rider like yourself. If you're not conderned about placing well and have never raced before, try it out. It's fun and who knows, maybe you'll start training for more of them yourself.

It is gonna be as serious as you take it? There will always be the super joes gonna balls to the wall and that is great cause that is how serious they are taking it. Go for it and try it out. I am gonna try it out this year to and just going to do a beginner level and feel it out then go from there.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I've done a bunch of the ICUP races as a very slow beginner. It's really quite fun and some very good exercise. I find myself learning a great deal by just being able to chase after someone who is a better rider and faster than I. I just try to keep up with the guy or gal in front of me.

I think it is all what you make it. Take it as seriously as you want. I'm not a real competitive person so the things like sandbagging don't bother me.

I'd say try it. I think you will like it. It can actually be kind of addicting and it's just kind of a fun atmosphere. Most of the people hanging around are pretty decent folk.

Hey, Kent. I also saw your post on the UMB site. I will be racing Saturday at the Rampage. I have been on the umb.com race team for some time now but have really only raced a couple of times, I just know everyone. I would encourage you to come race with me on the team. It doesn't cost anything to join unless you want to buy a jersey but you don't have to wear a team jersey to race. Plus, if you do place in the top 7 in your category, the team gets 'team points' that we'd be grateful for. The umb.com team is much more laid back than that 'other' team. I'm just racing Beginner Men 40-49 (even though I just turned 50) because I've only done 1 race in the last 3 years, I'm horribly out of shape right now (because of my son's ordeal this winter) and I have a very bad back that if I did the Sport category, I'd be stopping every mile to stretch it out. We'll see how it goes. If I place in the top 3 (very unlikely!) I'll move up to Sport for the next race because I don't want to be a sandbagger.
    Are we there yet?

I have been racing the past 9 years. I entered my first race when I was 30 yrs old. I have never regretted it. I have met several great people. I will have to admit that it becomes addicting. I get the jitters before every race. I am also shocked every time at the end of the race when I find out that I did better than I would have thought. My first race was for the Utah state championship series. My second race was in a national race. You could say that I simply just dove in. I didn't do any special training, nor did I have any friends join me originally. My wife has only watched me race twice. I say just do it !

Didn;t snowbasin have a little MTN bike series that they set up last year? I hope they bring it back this year, it would be fun!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I've raced a few times over the years...downhill, cross country, snow(frozen hog) and I've enjoyed them all. I've only raced sport class. I even took a downhill 1st place once. DUDE - go for it! you will have a ball!