Thread: When to buy new tires

When to buy new tires

So I've been Mountain Biking "seriously" for about a year now. I haven't ever purchased new tires, but they are starting to look like they are getting there...

How do you know when its time to ditch your tires and invest in some new ones?

Additionally. Any tire recommendations? I do mainly XC trail riding down here in St. George (BearClaw, JEM, Barrel Roll, etc)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you running the same tires up front back? if so switch your front tire to your rear to get a little more life out of it and buy a new front? It all depends on if they are splitting, the nobs are worn or cracking or your nobs on the edges of the tires are warn cause that is where you could loose it in the corners. I am running a kenda nevegal in the rear and have loved the tire, sidewalls don't seem to be the strongest. I have also like the panaracer fire xc pro. Good tire that you can pick up pretty cheep, take a look on pricpoint and they are 25 bucks or so on a sale here and there. I also like continentals, great tires little pricey at some places. Also it depends on what you are looking for in a tire, what you are willing to spend and if you want a light tire, foldable bead etc.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Re: When to buy new tires

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    How do you know when its time to ditch your tires and invest in some new ones?
    Whenever you see a review indicating tire A might be 0.00374% faster than whatever tire you're currently riding. Maybe this explains why I have about eight pair of mountain bike tires.

I've only replaced tires for three reasons.
    1. Cracks caused by dry rot: surplus WTB Racing Raptors and studded IRC Mud Mads. They were dirt cheap and I didn't expect much.
    2. The climbing, braking, or cornering bite was beginning to suffer: Panaracer Fire XC Pros that had lost some knobs after 1000 miles plus Moab.
    3. I wasn't happy with what I was riding and knew I could do A LOT better: the basic OEM steel bead WTB Velociraptors that weighed 720g each.

If the knobs are disappearing, it's time.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

when they are starting to look like they are getting there...
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I also really like the Kenda Nevegal's for S. Utah riding. I would put a Nevegal 2.1 (or 2.35 if you do allot of technical riding) up front and a Small-block 8 on the rear. The Small-block 8 has the same tread pattern as the Nevegal but the knobby's are much, much smaller with a tighter pattern.
    I replace tires when I start to wash out in the corners, spin on the climbs or the knobby's start to tear off.
    Are we there yet?

One other note, if you want more of a racing tire, the Nevegal wouldn't be a great choice as it's rolling resistance is not as low as some others, like the Maxxis Monorail, the Kenda Kharma, etc. I do know guys that race on the Small-block 8's and love them, front and rear. This weekend I'm still going to keep my 2.1 Nevegal up-front. I'm so out of shape that's it's not going to matter much for me. I do have a Maxxis Monorail on the rear however.
    Are we there yet?

I use Panaracer smoke and dart; they are front and rear specific tires. The rear is a bar tire which scoops the dirt kind of like paddles, the rolling resistance is bad, but I hate riding on pavement.(plus these are cheap) It is great for climbing and stopping power, but may not be the best for Southern Utah. I have used the tires in St. George and Moab and they have worked great. I have heard great things about the small block 8 and my next set of tires I will probably try them.

If the edges of the individual knobs are not sharp and straight, then your traction, corning, and braking become compromised to some degree. If you are a casual rider, it may not make much of a difference for you to buy new tires unless they are clearly worn out. If you are aggresive in the corners or bombing downhill ect., you will notice better performance from a new set of tires. I think that the kenda products offer the best bang for the buck. For racing performance tires, I like maxxis and intense products. Riding slickrock type trails will trash any brand of tire that you use. It is just the price we pay to have fun riding.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    If the edges of the individual knobs are not sharp and straight, then your traction, corning, and braking become compromised to some degree. If you are a casual rider, it may not make much of a difference for you to buy new tires unless they are clearly worn out. If you are aggresive in the corners or bombing downhill ect., you will notice better performance from a new set of tires. I think that the kenda products offer the best bang for the buck. For racing performance tires, I like maxxis and intense products. Riding slickrock type trails will trash any brand of tire that you use. It is just the price we pay to have fun riding.
    Keep your old tires for slickrock, you dont have to worry about traction and it will eat them so toss on an old pair and you will still be fine.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

If your tires are showing wear - knobs are 'smoothing'off the edges - invest in a new 'set' SOON. I've had some nasty wrecks on 'fair tires'. Panaracer FireXC Pros are great as long as you get no narrower than 2.1, although, I was running them when I wrecked last summer and have never used them since. Panaracer Dart & Smoke are probably the most versatile 'oldschool' treads around...as well as WTB Velociraptors...good in the loose stuff. Both have been around forever for a reason. Kenda Nevegals are amazing tires...you'll pay for em though but worth the price I run 5 or 6 different sets of different brands. I LOVE MAXXIS tires...Mobsters grip like no other when paired with High Rollers but they come in wide sizes. I have two sets just for rock riding. WTB ALL Terrainasaurus - narrow groved tread with med to soft durometer tread...shallow and grip everything rock, and some Nokian Gazzaloddis in a 2.3 width - harder durometer, bulletproof, and shallow tread. I have to say though that I ride many many many different conditions and I'd rather tear up a set of tires in a season because the tread was soft - so I could get some grip - (I love Maxxis!).........see...THIS is what I get for having access to lots of different brands

Thanks for the info everyone.

I slimmed it down to the Kenda Nevegals and the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's. Ended up going with the Panaracers since they had fairly equal reviews and the Panaracers were significantly cheaper, thanks to an ebay auction.

Plus I dig the red stripe

Yeah, I like the red a lot.

Good lookin' ride.

I love the Fire Pros. They grip well and roll pretty fast. The only beef that I ever had with them is that they tend to wear out fast. I usually end up tearing knobs off of them before the tread wears down.

They are good tires though and they look great on your bike, so tear it up.

Thanks!

If they wear out too quickly it'll give me an excuse to get some Nevegals on there