Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot air balloon in a slot canyon

Hot air balloon in a slot canyon

Hot air balloon in a slot canyon
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Dee Thorell, of Layton, sent in this picture taken by friend Val Gleave, of Marysvale. The hot air balloon, piloted by Kent Barnes, of Murray, was flying in a slot canyon near Page, Ariz.

Hot air balloon in a slot canyon near Page, Ariz.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would come in handy on first descents...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Wow, that is wild. Probably the best way to scout out a canyon. Pricey and dangerous but probably the best view into the canyon for sure.
    Life is Good

That guy is awesome! He'd have to be quite the pilot to flying so low like that.

I see that picture and the only word running through my head is .... dumbass.....

Looks neat except that you can't steer a hot air balloon. Ice nailed it - dumbass.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I see that picture and the only word running through my head is .... dumbass.....
    uh, well, if he made it out, then he's not a dumbass, now is he?

Good pilot, still air - it's certainly possible for this to be reasonable (unless he screws up, then everyone is on his case).

Nice thing about a hot air balloon - you pull the lever and the thing goes up!

Tom (EX-paraglider pilot, you pull the lever and... and... AND...)

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Tom (EX-paraglider pilot, you pull the lever and... and... AND...)
    Yeah Tom.... why don't you explain to everyone how that paraglider thing worked out for ya....

All you have to do is pull the riser and the thing turns....

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    uh, well, if he made it out, then he's not a dumbass, now is he?
    Sure he is! Just a lucky dumbass. People who do stupid things and get away with it are, nonetheless, still doing stupid things...

Marginally off topic: still need to do a hot air balloon ride, someday.

God looks after fools, drunks, and little children.....

You guys can say what you want about this guy, but here he is in an awesome picture doing something that few people on Earth have never done. I think he is awesome!

It's unreasonable to call the guy a dumbass unless you are also a balloon pilot and can compare like with like. Lightly loaded, these things can ascend at 3000 feet per minute (and descend even faster).

It would have been calm (wind <5 kts) or else it would not have been possible to make the descent.

I think given the location, equipment, skills & opportunity I would do the same (after all, some people go canyoneering...with little more than a rope! How mad is that? )

And you'd be surprised how much you CAN steer a balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L
    It's unreasonable to call the guy a dumbass unless you are also a balloon pilot and can compare like with like.
    Rob, most of these guys seek out hypothermic death traps only to discover the best possible methods of escape ... all while sliding down ropes in tights

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L
    It's unreasonable to call the guy a dumbass unless you are also a balloon pilot and can compare like with like.

I don't have to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge to know that anyone who does is a dumbass......

I don't have to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge to know that anyone who does is a dumbass......

Oh man, Shane, where did you get that photo. That IS funny (in a sick, tragic, sad, but funny sort of way)
    Life is Good

World's Worst Suicide Hotline

That video was classic! Those silly emos :)

Always thought it would be cool as hell to fly a powered parachute over slots to scope things out. You can steer those andtake off and land on 100 feet of ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000

Marginally off topic: still need to do a hot air balloon ride, someday.
    FWIW, in 1991 I took a ride in a hot air balloon that was sponsored by my paper, and I found it kind of boring and more trouble than it was worth.