Thread: central muddy mountains

central muddy mountains

went out to lake mead nra to scramble around the central muddy mountains yesterday. started at the southern flanks, right off the bitter springs scenic backcountry byway, and headed straight up, sticking to teh ridge and hitting all the high points. sometimes having to drop to one side or the other or backtrack when cliffed out, but there is always a way. then back down in a nice, wide wash and back to teh car. weather was great, 70+, and started out mostly sunny to wind up overcast. a way fun day and a strenuous one.

full photos - http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570362954ePbYmu

bitter ridge over the western muddys to the left. seen from bitter springs scenic backcountry byway

heading up

the broken ridge

poitn 1348, right, second highest in these central muddys, and an unnamed block middle. seen from below point 1355.

buffington pockets from summit of unnamed block

poitn 1348 from unnamed block

fossils ?

view east from ridge
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pretty landscape - extremely barren! I bet that would be a warm hike in the summer. That shot of Buffington Pockets is pretty sick.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by fouristhenewone
    Pretty landscape - extremely barren! I bet that would be a warm hike in the summer. That shot of Buffington Pockets is pretty sick.
    summer is hot. we've only ben here a year, but last july n august was usually still near 100 degrees at midnight, and i am already starting to hike in "snake mode" although it is still a little cool for them to be out yet.
    signature

Way Cool! You got UP there! I love the perch perspective of the matrix.
    Awesome stuff, for sure. Stark, lonely place. Ever try going on top of Cleopatra Wash? It's located down Boathouse Cove road. Bighorns all over the place! The hike used to be rewarded with a deep green grotto where Lake Meade came up to the wash and there was 20 ft deep water to plunge off the rocks into. Private cove. Now, you need webbing or a rope to down
    climb to the rocky, dry botttom and hike 1/2 mile to the existing lake.
    So so sad to see the lake recede like my durn hairline.

You take some great shots, by the way! Good job! Thanks for sharing.
    I just hiked over on hwy 93 North of the Arrow Range. Gnarly geo
    swirls and pushed up fins. 8 ft tall yuccas everywhere.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    Ever try going on top of Cleopatra Wash? It's located down Boathouse Cove road. Bighorns all over the place! The hike used to be rewarded with a deep green grotto where Lake Meade came up to the wash and there was 20 ft deep water to plunge off the rocks into. Private cove. Now, you need webbing or a rope to down
    climb to the rocky, dry botttom and hike 1/2 mile to the existing lake.
    So so sad to see the lake recede like my durn hairline.
    yeah, i liked cleopatra wash. not nearly as colorful or exciting as the hype i had heard but still very scenic. i got to the drop and climbed up to pass and continue to teh lake. it must have been way cooler w/ higher water like you describe. then i came back along the ridge between cleopatra and kendall, for a while at least. very strenuous. i gave it up and headed back into cleo asap. those fins and spires are cool, but damn are they rough to move thru !

You take some great shots, by the way! Good job! Thanks for sharing.
    thank you and your welcome. always like to share when it is fun so others can enjoy if they want.

I just hiked over on hwy 93 North of the Arrow Range. Gnarly geo swirls and pushed up fins. 8 ft tall yuccas everywhere.
    like meadow valley mountains or bunker hills ? is old hwy 93 still passable ? i wanted to get out to arrow range a couple weeks ago but it looked like it was dumping hard, so stayed south and dry.

if you ever feel like some new company on a hike drop me a line if you have a monday free, that is when i go now since my shift changed, sunday i spend w/ jr.
    signature