Thread: "Suicide" in Pine Creek

"Suicide" in Pine Creek

Falling fatality victim at Zion National Park identified
    February 27th, 2009 @ 11:43am

The person who fell to his death from Canyon Overlook in Zion National Park has been identified as Dave Brigham, 48, of Sussex, New Jersey.

The body was discovered at the base of the Great Arch by a National Park Service search team at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday, February 26. Brigham fell approximately 400 feet to his death from Canyon Overlook into Pine Creek Canyon.

On the morning of February 25, a park ranger noticed an unattended vehicle parked in the vicinity of the Canyon Overlook trailhead. It was determined that the vehicle had been there overnight.

An initial search did not reveal any clues to the whereabouts of the driver of the vehicle. The search continued on Thursday, February 26, and the body of the victim was located in Pine Creek Canyon.

A preliminary investigation of the fatality by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service has indicated that the death was most likely a suicide.

National Park Service Rangers utilized a technical raising system to raise the body 400 feet to the canyon rim.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5711796
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Suicide in Pine Creek

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Falling fatality victim at Zion National Park identified
    February 27th, 2009 @ 11:43am

The person who fell to his death from Canyon Overlook in Zion National Park has been identified as Dave Brigham, 48, of Sussex, New Jersey.

The body was discovered at the base of the Great Arch by a National Park Service search team at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday, February 26. Brigham fell approximately 400 feet to his death from Canyon Overlook into Pine Creek Canyon.

On the morning of February 25, a park ranger noticed an unattended vehicle parked in the vicinity of the Canyon Overlook trailhead. It was determined that the vehicle had been there overnight.

An initial search did not reveal any clues to the whereabouts of the driver of the vehicle. The search continued on Thursday, February 26, and the body of the victim was located in Pine Creek Canyon.

A preliminary investigation of the fatality by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service has indicated that the death was most likely a suicide.

National Park Service Rangers utilized a technical raising system to raise the body 400 feet to the canyon rim.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5711796
    I was called the night before last to become involved. We were to fly to try to locate the individual on thursday morning. 4 rangers hiked up Pine Creek and located his body early thursday morning. A team was gathered and we affected a raise at the end of Canyon Overlook Trail. It was about a 540' raise. I know that it may be "dubbed" as a suicide, but the investigation may or may not prove otherwise. I would suggest that we not let the media paint the picture until Washington County and The NPS have concluded their investigation. No matter what, it's a very sad thing that happened.

Bo, I'm sorry that you had to participate in this event. I appreciate your willingness to contribute to the community in the capacity that you offer.

A good friend just said to me: "Life is precious. Life is short. Life is tough. But damn! Isn't life beautiful!!??"

Thanks Bo.

Here is the NPS Morning Report....

Zion National Park (UT)
    Searchers Find Body Of Probable Suicide Victim

On the morning of Wednesday, February 25th, ranger Luke Hodgson noted that a pickup truck that had been parked near the Canyon Overlook trailhead the previous evening was still at that location. Hodgson investigated and found that the owner

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Bo, I'm sorry that you had to participate in this event. I appreciate your willingness to contribute to the community in the capacity that you offer.

A good friend just said to me: "Life is precious. Life is short. Life is tough. But damn! Isn't life beautiful!!??"

Thanks Bo.
    and thanks!
    Speaking of which! Headed out to try his new 4-pitch 5.9 trad route with Todd this morning! Yee-haw! Life...... is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Thanks Bo.
    and thanks!
    Speaking of which! Headed out to try his new 4-pitch 5.9 trad route with Todd this morning! Yee-haw! Life...... is beautiful!
    Wahoooooo! What a fun climb! It was a 5 pitch 5.10!....Dang I forgot how fun climbing was!... Todd has outdone himself on this route..."Prudence"! I lead 3 of the 5 pitches and my shoulder is agreeing! Wahooo!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Thanks Bo.
    and thanks!
    Wahoooooo! What a fun climb! It was a 5 pitch 5.10!....Dang I forgot how fun climbing was!... Todd has outdone himself on this route..."Prudence"! I lead 3 of the 5 pitches and my shoulder is agreeing! Wahooo!
    Wow. Good stuff. Is there a topo available, publicly?

T

and thanks!
    Awesome news Bo! I's so happy for you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Wow. Good stuff. Is there a topo available, publicly?

T
    It's Todds route and he wrote the guide book, but he let me know that he's good with me releasing the beta on the new route "Prudence". He will be giving me a "photo topo" soon and I'll scan it and post it. Meanwhile here is a photo I took 2 weekends ago on a hike I had taken of the buttress that I suspected as the new route? He also has a 3 pitch 5.12 just to the left on the overhang. Prudence is a 5 pitch 5.9-10? It is mostly naturally protected face climbing. I think I heard Todd say that there were 9 bolts total (excluding anchors) on the entire 400'+ climb? I lead pitch 1-3 and 4. Pitch 1 was 5.4 with 1 bolt and 3 placements to the anchors. I remember pitch 2 as about 5.8 with 3 bolts and 5 or 6 placements? Pitch 3 at 5.8 with 3 bolts and 5 or 6 placements? Pitch 4 at 5.6 with 2 bolts and 2 placements. Pitch 5 at 5.9-10 with 2 bolts and 4-5 placements? Gear ranged from Camalot 3's to #1 TCU's and everything in between. I really liked the stopper placements. Rock quality actually pretty darn good for Snow Canyon! Lots and lots of chickenheads! Definately a classy and fun climb! Getting off is a bit problematic with fall-line being out of line with the descent and possibility of rope snag, but by being careful it isn't too bad! Anyway I'll put up the topo when I get it!
    Attached Images Attached Images