Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some canyon beta please?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    do you guys know where i can get some information about this canyon. i understand not posting up all over the net certain canyons. i am all about keeping the popularity of certain canyons low key. I am not a member of the circle of friends, is it a good idea to join if i am looking for beta on some of these less travled canyons. I just want to experience these awesome canyons that god created for us to enjoy, while keeping them in most pristeen conditions we can. thanks again for the info.
    I've got some beta not as detailed as this.

My beta is only slightly more than Denali Guide's sig "beta? i don't need no stinkin beta!" but not much.

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    do you guys know where i can get some information about this canyon. i understand not posting up all over the net certain canyons. i am all about keeping the popularity of certain canyons low key. I am not a member of the circle of friends, is it a good idea to join if i am looking for beta on some of these less travled canyons. I just want to experience these awesome canyons that god created for us to enjoy, while keeping them in most pristeen conditions we can. thanks again for the info.
    What I remember is:

1. Map it out and get a GPS Waypoint for where to park and where the top of the canyon is, because it is not at all obvious. Follow the roads carefully on the map.

2. A couple of rappels. Longest was about 150 feet.

3. Some nice walking downcanyon. We saw a big snake.

4. Was dry when we did it, I don't remember if water was likely.

5. There was an exit trail just downstream where the canyon hit the East Fork. A bit of scrambling at the very bottom, then steep then you find yourself on a road that leads back to the car.

6. Car to car call it 4-6 hours. We did some exploring up and down the East Fork, but it wasn't all that good. Some good petros in the area, upcanyon I think, maybe 1/4 mile.

7. There's a bolt anchor for a low-angle rappel in a v-slot. Downclimb it - it's easy.

8. If I'm thinking the right canyon, after most of the rappels, there is a short rap out in the open. I almost rapped off a serviceberry bush that would have been plucked out mighty fast - good thing my nose worked. ("If it stinks, don't use it"). Dean and I each hiked around to the right and found obnoxious ways down. If again, I would find a way to rap the drop directly. (disclaimer: due to extensive memory loss, this might actually be in a different canyon. Who knows??)

T

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    5. There was an exit trail just downstream where the canyon hit the East Fork. A bit of scrambling at the very bottom, then steep then you find yourself on a road that leads back to the car.
    I've heard Joe's French Canyon makes a good exit to this hike. Is this the optional exit out of the East Fork for Elephant butte? Or is it sooner than that?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    French is the long, scenic way around. Once you get to the bottom of the canyon you can scramble up through the rock shelves canyon left. Not far up and you reach the end of a designated ATV trail which is a continuation of the same road you came in on.
    Definitely head up Parunaweap and check out the Petroglyph panel.

I've now hiked this a dozen different ways.... Down Rock and Up French is the biggest bang for the buck in my humble opinion. It's a fun and scenic loop with a lot to see.

Rock Canyon Complete with French Canyon Exit and detailed driving instructions:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm

Skipping the hike down Parunuweap and up French canyon is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon.....

The pics below are part of the Parunuweap hike.

so it looks like i need to sign up for Circle of Friends then huh.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

so it looks like i need to sign up for Circle of Friends then huh.
    Using anything else is like having sex with your sister.... yeah she might have all the parts in all the right places, but it's still wrong.....

And if that's not enough I just added a bunch of "Reviews" to the bottom of the sign-up page.
    http://climb-utah.com/signup.htm

I made it fine in a Jeep Grand Cherokee last year; Dueler AT's. YMMV.

Trip Report:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...633&highlight=

Detailed Driving Directions:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...canyon+driving

thats funny becuase i have a brand new set of dueler at's on my 96 grand cherokee. best freakin tires ever, thanks for the TR. i am signed on with circle of friends now and its like haveing an early Christmas.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!