Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some canyon beta please?

some canyon beta please?

I was just wondering, i am planning on heading up to leeds as soon as the weather warms up. I have yet to do Yankee Doodle, and i have heard that there are 2 other canyons in the area, Shear, and Bolterguist canyon. I was wanting to do all three if they are short enough and in the same area, I am just curious if anyone has beta on these canyon. If they are canyons not published a PM would be apreaciatied.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The canyoneering trip report index has at least four trip reports for Yankee Doodle.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: some canyon beta please?

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    I was just wondering, i am planning on heading up to leeds as soon as the weather warms up. I have yet to do Yankee Doodle, and i have heard that there are 2 other canyons in the area, Shear, and Bolterguist canyon. :

yankee doodle is published in two places:
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-yankee-doodle.htm
    http://climb-utah.com/

boltergeist in one:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/bolter.htm

climb-utah requires membership for access to both.

i don't believe shear has been published.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    There is another canyon in the area I've done that I'm calling Pigeon Poop. It's not worth the price of webbing required for the canyon IMO.

Know someone found another in the area recently.

Here is the beta I received from Dick Shear on the Shear Route about 10 years ago.... I've never done the route because I was not that impressed with Boltergeist and had more promising routes to explore.... I figure if anyone here uses this beta they at least owe the forum a TR. If you have the beta for Boltergeist this will all make sense.... Enjoy...

Yankee Doodle
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/yankee.htm

Boltergeist

Shear Canyon
    I forgot to mention Shear Canyon. It has a large rappel 150- to 170' that exits Quail Canyon just before it connects with Water Canyon. After they meet, we call it Quail-Water canyon. The last drop in Shear Canyon has two bolts in the spillway. These should be checked.

If you feel real ambitious, you might want to check it out. Soooooo.. Do Boltergeist and instead of upclimbing back to your vehicle, continue down canyon (mucho water) , as soon as you pass Quail Canyon entering from your left, turn left up Quail Canyon. Go a ways 1/4 mile prox and upclimb the berm. Find the big waterfalls (dry most of the time). The base has a beautiful garden and a small cave. I have always wanted to upclimb it and avoid the traditional long hike for the last two great rappels. After upclimbing Shear canyon for the two rapps, go back down. Go down canyon and swim the labyrinth short slot which exits into Red Cliffs Park. Jolla. Have someone drop you off at the top and take your vehicle to a spot on the road, just outside the park. Park locks their gate early, so you better spot your pick up outside the park. You can get cell phone reception just outside the park.

And a quick heads up.... last I heard Yankee Doodle was filled with water and had a swimmer....

Tom Talboys in Yankee Doodle

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I've heard a rumor that Shear may be better accessed from the top.

The big pothole in Water will probably be full right now as snow melt feeds the canyon. You might get around it on Canyon left.

Theres quite a few technical canyon's in the area. We started another yesterday. So far bottom rap about 60' next up 80ish. Looks to be more upcanyon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    I've looked at it on a map and it looks like an ugly hike from the top. But then again... the bushwhacking in water canyon sucks...

Theres quite a few technical canyon's in the area. We started another yesterday.
    Are you going to share any of these with us or do we have to dig them out?

I've always figured the Silver Reef area held a few more teasures.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've looked at it on a map and it looks like an ugly hike from the top. But then again... the bushwhacking in water canyon sucks...

Theres quite a few technical canyon's in the area. We started another yesterday.
    Are you going to share any of these with us or do we have to dig them out?

I've always figured the Silver Reef area held a few more teasures.

Water canyon is a bushwack for quite a ways down from there also.

I plan to have most of these canyons finished in 2-3 weeks, along with others in the area. I have no secrets.

Water canyon is a bushwack for quite a ways down from there also.
    So far I have not been impressed with Water Canyon....

I plan to have most of these canyons finished in 2-3 weeks, along with others in the area. I have no secrets.
    Sweet.... I look forward to hearing about what you discovered.

Ok you guys lost me. I assume this is not the same water canyon that ZAC's does for their guided adventure is it?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Ok you guys lost me. I assume this is not the same water canyon that ZAC's does for their guided adventure is it?
    Mark
    Nope.... this is Water Canyon in Silver Reef.....

Get out you Boltergiest map and it makes sense....

Thats what I thought, we went out there one time and did yankee doodle, needless to say it was hot and we didn't have the best time.

Bogley BigShot
    Bo and I did this when it was still cool, but not cold. We brought a wetsuit just in case we needed it and we did! There was not much water, but what was there was so cold!!! I had fun in Yankee with all the little downclimbs. If you like to downclimb you will enjoy it, but if you are into big rappels you will be dissapointed.

I did Boltergist with Shane and Bo and it's not as good as Yankee Doodle, but you might as well hit it while there.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-yankee-doodle.htm

pictures
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index62.htm

cool guys and gal. thanks for the info i am looking more for canyons that don't require permits. plus it is nice to do canyons around st george because i am from Las Vegas and we have friends living there in st george. i have never been to silver reef so this summer should be pretty nice doing canyons and an area i am not fermilar with. oh once more question where is rock canyon. i hear it is in the mysery area but not sure. i am just trying to broden my list of canyon that aren't the normal standbys in zion.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    cool guys and gal. thanks for the info i am looking more for canyons that don't require permits. plus it is nice to do canyons around st george because i am from Las Vegas and we have friends living there in st george. i have never been to silver reef so this summer should be pretty nice doing canyons and an area i am not fermilar with. oh once more question where is rock canyon. i hear it is in the Misery area but not sure. i am just trying to broaden my list of canyon that aren't the normal standbys in zion.

Rock Canyon drops into the East Fork of the Virgin River at the head of the Barracks, upstream a few clicks from Misery. Best accessed from the south on very sandy, very soft dirt roads (ie, you'll want HC, big-tire 4WD).

Tom

i have a pretty confident jeep 4'' lift big tires it holds its own pretty darn well, thanks tom any beta. or info where i could get beta.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    cool guys and gal. thanks for the info i am looking more for canyons that don't require permits. plus it is nice to do canyons around st george because i am from Las Vegas and we have friends living there in st george. i have never been to silver reef so this summer should be pretty nice doing canyons and an area i am not fermilar with. oh once more question where is rock canyon. i hear it is in the Misery area but not sure. i am just trying to broaden my list of canyon that aren't the normal standbys in zion.

Rock Canyon drops into the East Fork of the Virgin River at the head of the Barracks, upstream a few clicks from Misery. Best accessed from the south on very sandy, very soft dirt roads (ie, you'll want HC, big-tire 4WD).

Tom
    Or----you could easily get there on an ATV

Tom's right though, very sandy, now is a good time before the area dry's out and the sand becomes almost powder. I can't imagine your Jeep having any trouble.

i have a pretty confident jeep 4'' lift big tires it holds its own pretty darn well, thanks tom any beta. or info where i could get beta.
    I've been out there multiple times in my Ford F150, stock. It's not that bad, but it is easy to get lost. Just have to mantain some momentum on the real soft sections.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've been thinking about doing Rock sometime this spring before the sand get's too soft and as long as the flow in the East Fork isn't too strong.

do you guys know where i can get some information about this canyon. i understand not posting up all over the net certain canyons. i am all about keeping the popularity of certain canyons low key. I am not a member of the circle of friends, is it a good idea to join if i am looking for beta on some of these less travled canyons. I just want to experience these awesome canyons that god created for us to enjoy, while keeping them in most pristeen conditions we can. thanks again for the info.