Thread: South Utah & Arizona Road Trip Suggestions

South Utah & Arizona Road Trip Suggestions

Hi all!

I am planning a little road trip south when my mom visits and I'd love to hear any recommendations and tips you might have as far as sight seeing, food and lodging (pet friendly) is concerned. I am especially interested in easily accessible (no hikes) places to see that are not that popular with the tourists or original food joints. It's gonna be a pretty intensive trip - only four days - so no time wasting. Plus the damn dog so obviously an inconvenience. So far the plan is to visit Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell, Glen Canyon, Marble Canyon, Grand Canyon, Tuba City, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Moab, Arches. Might have to pass on some of these due to time constraints but that's pretty much the route we're taking. Thanks for your help!
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

goosenecks of the san juan (easy you drive right to the edge),
    moki dugway and muley point overlook (side trip)
    hovenweep (side trip)
    !edge of the cedars museum in blanding!(awesome little museum). blanding also has a nice friendly visitor center. you can check email there.

four corners might be out of the way. its about another hour past kayenta. golden sands restaurant in kayenta for the best navajo taco's.

nothing really to see in tuba city. i just gas and go there.

that will be a very scenic trip through the southwest. your mom should enjoy it. and who knows you could lose the dog somewhere. plenty of cliffs for it to fall off.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks, Mate!

Looks like goosenecks are a must!

That is going to be a LOT of driving for you!

I'd also put on the list less populated places like Canyonlands (Needles and Dead Horse Point) and while there visit Gemini Bridges. Also on the way up from 4corners area stop at Natural Bridges.

On the way back to SLC, stop by Goblin Valley and I'd recommend the Crystal Geyser by Green River.

Thanks Alex! I'm gonna mark those on the map and see how many we can see on our way back north.

If your are hitting Bryce first, head down Highway 89. Very pretty and Big Rock Candy Mountain is kinda fun. 89 is much more scenic than I-15. I usually take I-15 to I-70 then exit south on 89. It is a little slower that way to Bryce but not by too much.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    If your are hitting Bryce first, head down Highway 89. Very pretty and Big Rock Candy Mountain is kinda fun. 89 is much more scenic than I-15. I usually take I-15 to I-70 then exit south on 89. It is a little slower that way to Bryce but not by too much.
    That's the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Since I don't live in Utah I'm not much help. But I will say I agree with Scott. Pretty drive through here. Big Rock has a good cafe and a little further down is Hoovers Cafe which I like.

denali + 1
    Hell if the driving get tough, let the dog drive that's what I do
    Peter

so, i have given this some more thought. you have only 4 days. to do the loop you are suggesting you will be in the car most of the time with a "stop, get out of the car for a quick photo, jump back in the car". it's like a good days drive just from tuba city to moab for example. that's without many stops.

what i suggest is to do one half or the other. either bryce, zion, lake powell, north rim grand canyon, or go down through hanksville and hit natural bridges, cross cedar mesa, muley point overlook, goosenecks, monument valley, four corners, moab and arches.

my point is that bryce and zion are reasonably major side trips off 89. gonna burn up several hours just seeing those two incredibly scenic spots. just to hit the two of these in a day is a rush job.

you don't want to have your mom hate you for keeping her in the car to long. this way you can be a little more relaxed and enjoy it.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks guys. Thanks Denali. I know four days is not a lot of time. I think we're gonna try to do it according to the planned schedule and then see how we're doing on time. I also take into account that we're not gonna do a lot of hiking and there are places where dogs are not allowed (shuttle bus in Zion, for example). Lastly, if we're really slow I can probably call in sick and extend the trip by a day