Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pandora Radio

Pandora Radio

So I have been using Pandora Radio at work for a couple of months and I really like it. I click thumbs up or thumbs down on songs I like and dislike and it goes making my music radio station customized to be only songs I enjoy.

Here is my station:
    http://broadcaster.pandora.com/t?r=9...E0CAEB5058C4C&

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet. I have been using the yahoo music deal. They throw some random songs in there. There is a maximum amount of skipping songs on the free deal so I run out every month. Now I have another option!
    The man thong is wrong.

My first week or so of using Pandora I ran out of skipping songs because it was learning what songs I like. Now I fine tune every week which songs I like and dislike and the program does a great job of creating a playlist for me.

I love pandora! I listen to it all day, every day. I find I have moods and like different stuff at different times. I see your's is mostly what I would call classic alternative stuff.

initialize string:
    Song sort Artist Date
    1,2,3,4 Plain White T's 02-25-2009
    1979 Smash Pumpkins 02-12-2009
    Amber 311 02-12-2009
    Automatic Stop The Strokes 02-12-2009
    Beverly Hills Weezer 02-12-2009
    Champagne Supernova Oasis 02-12-2009
    Cherub Rock Smash Pumpkins 02-12-2009
    Come As You Are Nirvana 02-12-2009
    Crash Into Me (Live 1999) Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds 02-20-2009
    Don't Look Back in Anger Oasis 02-12-2009
    Dumb Nirvana 02-12-2009
    Everth To Everyone Everclear 02-12-2009
    First Day Of My Life Bright Eyes 02-19-2009
    Float On Modest Mouse 02-12-2009
    Hash Pipe Weezer 02-12-2009
    I Believe In A Th Called Love The Darkness 02-12-2009
    In Bloom Nirvana 02-12-2009
    In The Garage Weezer 02-23-2009
    Inside Out Eve 6 02-12-2009
    Is This It The Strokes 02-12-2009
    Island In The Sun Weezer 02-19-2009
    Jamie (Live) Weezer 02-12-2009
    Mr. Brightside The Killers 02-12-2009
    My Hero Foo Fighters 02-12-2009
    One Love/ People Get Ready Bob Marley 02-12-2009
    Otherside Red Hot Chili Peppers 02-12-2009
    Pork And Beans Weezer 02-12-2009
    Read My Mind The Killers 02-12-2009
    Sink To The Bottom Fountains Of Wayne 02-12-2009
    Somebody Told Me The Killers 02-12-2009
    Steady, As She Goes The Raconteurs 02-12-2009
    Sw, Sw All-American Rejects 02-12-2009
    Take Me Out Franz Ferdinand 02-12-2009
    The Distance Cake 02-12-2009
    The Kids Aren't Alright The Offspr 02-12-2009
    The World Has Turned And Left Me Here Weezer 02-12-2009
    The Zephyr Song Red Hot Chili Peppers 02-12-2009
    Today Smash Pumpkins 02-12-2009
    Troublemaker Weezer 02-12-2009
    Under Pressure Queen 02-12-2009
    What I Got Sublime 02-12-2009
    You Only Live Once The Strokes 02-12-2009
    Here's mine:

Ska music: Good for when I need solutions to a difficult problem. Bands like Reel Big Fish, Aquabats, Skankin Pickcle, etc.

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh228715418094304538

caffeine: Listen to in the morning and when working late nights, pumps me up. Bands like Daft Punk, justice, Oakenfold, LCD Soundstream, etc.

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh225580001773911322

Andy McKee: Tedious work, best classic guitar on the planet IMO. good for going through databases for errors when complete concentration is required. Bands like Andy Mckee, Ryan Farish, etc.

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh225016974511078682

DMB: Stands for Dave Mathew band. he's my favorite artist and probably my most similar station to yours. Bands like DMB, rusted root, Carbon leaf, etc.

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh224949552114466074
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

for some reason I thought that Pandora only played indie stuff, or anything but big record label stuff. Maybe that's how it started up a few years ago.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Disco
    You have no idea how timely this is, as well as appreciated.

I've been an XM subscriber since the beginning and pay for 3 radio's.(Mine,Wifes,daughters) Anyway--a couple weeks ago they send me a notice saying that my internet radio(xm) would not be free any more. I sent them an e-mail, something along the lines of a price increase during difficult times is never appreciated. This looks like the answer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Disco
    You have no idea how timely this is, as well as appreciated.
    I'm happy to hear that my timing was good.

Pandora is awesome. My favorite stations are the Cranes for when I'm in the mood to just chill out and another that is a combination of the Cocteau Twins, The Smiths, and Joy Division. The latter is a good mix of post punk and new wave with a bit of shoegazing thrown in for good measure.

DC, I'm glad to hear you're down with the Aquabats too man. That's awesome.

pandora is great. i've been listening to it for over a year. they don't allow it to be connected to outside the u.s., so i have had to get and ip disguiser (hotspot shield) in order to keep listening.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Schweet!! Fun fact: Ever watch yo gabba gabba? That's produced by M.C Bat Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Schweet!! Fun fact: Ever watch yo gabba gabba? That's produced by M.C Bat Commander.

I saw that once in a hotel in Nebraska. I wondered what the hell was going on when the brocolli bee and cyclopsis were being nice to the kids instead of trying to destroy them. They sung a song and the Aquabats were on there. It was the greatest moment of my life (in Nebraska).

I've been using last.fm
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Sometimes I feel like the last person who listens to music by albums. I guess it was because I was schooled by bands that made/make concept albums. I guess that is going the way of the dinosaur...

James

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've been using Pandora since it's inception. I have about 20 stations defined and love it.

I've used it to find new music that I've then purchased via their iTunes link.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Sometimes I feel like the last person who listens to music by albums. I guess it was because I was schooled by bands that made/make concept albums. I guess that is going the way of the dinosaur...

James
    Some bands sound better listening to the album IMO. Dirty Vegas is a great example. The album has this awesome vibe and the songs roll into each other perfectly. And that is clearly lost when you play the songs out of order. "Presidents of the the united states" is another one. Other times I download the whole album via torrent and start immediately removing the songs I don't like leaving a shell of 3-4. Which is most of the time.

I just found Pandora a week ago. Looks great. Still setting it up.
    Previously I was copying CD's to my hard drive and playing songs with Windows Media Player but it's a lot more work. Pandora should be cool.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Pandora is awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks again Disco.

Question: After you do thumbs up on a multitude of songs, does it automatically play those or do you select something to play checked songs?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Pandora is awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks again Disco.

Question: After you do thumbs up on a multitude of songs, does it automatically play those or do you select something to play checked songs?
    Filling in for Disc...

If you select thumbs down, it will never play that song again. If you select thumbs up, it will play that song and more songs like it. To still be considered a radio station you can't really make it play a certain song at a certain time. What i would suggest is to select a lot of thumbs down but very few thumbs up. The reason being is that everytime you put in a thumbs up, it will keep playing "songs like that" which leads to more "songs like that", etc, etc. And you only get a certain amount of skips, i thin like 6 with one regenerating every hour. So while I like alternative, I hate Nirvana, so I use the "skip" instead of "thumbs down". So put each "type" of music you like on a different channel to keep the focus narrow, then expand as you become more comfortable with it. If you keep clicking "I like this" on every song you do like, it's going to start playing songs you "don't like very quickly. And you'll run out of skips and be miserable.

Make sense?

Also pick songs and not Artists. The cool thing is once you give it just 2 or 3 songs you do like, you'll find it's very good at playing music you've never heard that you'll wonder why you didn't. It will expand your music vocabulary immediately. Because it analyzes the song variance and not the genre.

Whoa...this is kinda freaky. I just signed up for Pandora about 10 minutes ago, and the first two bands that it played (Tool and Soundgarden) are easily in my top 5 favorite bands. I hadn't even given any thumbs up or down yet. Big Brother must be watching me.
    Blog | FB

DC is totally right (as usual). Lots of thumbs down on the songs you don't like and a few thumbs up on the songs you do like.

One thing I REALLY recommend is that you find somebody's station they have already made (which you like) and then go tweaking it from there. It will save you a lot of guess work.