Thread: Piute 2-22

Piute 2-22

With the recent news that Piute had a fishable amount of open water, I couldn't resist the long drive to get my tube wet for the first time this year.

Driving in, I was compelled to pull over at a couple of spots on the Sevier River in Marysvale Canyon. A little brown was all I pull in before I forced myself to continue driving.

Eventually, I reached Piute and got my gear ready for the float. While preparing, a couple of guys from another forum (Utah Fishing Talk) rolled up. As I shoved off, they got themselves set up.

There was a fair amount of open water, but the ice still covered most of the lake.

A night crawler bounced along the bottom from my spinning rod while I dragged a black cone headed bugger with a chironomid dropper on my 5wt (sinking line). After quite a bit of kicking, I got the hard hit and brought in a chubby 16 inch rainbow.

The fish fought well and was nice and fat, but the fins were nubby and the tail was a bit scabby. Another fish that looked similar also found my bugger a little while later.

The breeze decided to turn on and it was time to get back to shore. The 2 UFT guys had the same idea. They apparently didn't even get a bite, so I'm glad I got the two that I did, even though they were ugly.

The guys talked me into trying a different spot further south on the lake, where we would keep trying while getting the shore lunch ready. It was there that I was introduced to some "soul food" of the region: dutch oven mutton. Wow, I've missed out! We ate until we couldn't and I somehow got 2 more fish on the lazy rig (worm on the bottom) while jaw jacking with good company.

After all was said and done, I caught my limit, but it was pretty slow going. The other guys never got a bump, but it was good to see them and get in on that shore lunch.

I can't wait until my central areas thaw out! It was nice to get back on the tube.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

good trip for you. How cold do you get in your tube. Are you tooned? or do you sit in the water?
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

I'm in a Uboat brand float tube. I sit on a flap of nylon and usually have water up over my hips.

I actually got pretty cold by the time I got out, but I insulate pretty heavily under my waders. I could've stayed out most of the day had the wind not picked up.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

dude you would fish circles around me. i'm going to try to get a float tube this year and might be able to go up there in the summer or fall
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>