Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moab in Feb. is outstanding - Granary & Medieval Chamber

Moab in Feb. is outstanding - Granary & Medieval Chamber

Absolutely could not have had any better weather for canyoneering. Started off the year with a trip through Granary, which has some amazing views and awesome rappels. There are some potholes in there, but everything was avoidable, empty, or frozen. We got through with nothing more than water up to our shins. I dont know how much water it would hold in the summer, but if some of them werent frozen, it may have made it a little more complicated.

Also ran through medieval chamber. If you are bored in moab for a few hours, and you want to see Morning Glory arch, it is definitely worth it. There is one downclimb before you hit the first rap that had some water in it, half way to my knees. That looks like it could hold water that could be fairly deep at times. It is just a desert hike, then a fun rappel into the chamber- which is pretty cool, and then you are right above the arch. After you rap down that, likely with plenty of tourists watching like something in Zion, then just more hiking out. Not much of a canyon, but an entertaining route with 2 good raps.

Both routes would probably be miserable in mid summer, but we had nothing but sunshine and temperatures in the 50's. Fantastic

Check climb-utah.com for route descriptions for both routes.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Granary is a goodie. Some of the best views for a canyoneering route ever. Before dropping into Granary it's almost a 360 degree view all around, with views into Canyonlands, Arches, La Sals and beyond - rivals the views for Miner's Hollow (Muddy Creek Gorge), and Seger's (Factory Butte and beyond). Very pretty.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    It was a perfect weekend in Moab. Devin didn't mention we also snuck in Uranium canyon.

dwayne said,
    "Also ran through medieval chamber. If you are bored in moab for a few hours, and you want to see Morning Glory arch, it is definitely worth it. There is one downclimb before you hit the first rap that had some water in it, half way to my knees. That looks like it could hold water that could be fairly deep at times. It is just a desert hike, then a fun rappel into the chamber- which is pretty cool, and then you are right above the arch. After you rap down that, likely with plenty of tourists watching like something in Zion, then just more hiking out. Not much of a canyon, but an entertaining route with 2 good raps."

If you want a real quick activity at medevial. After rappeling into the chamber go out and check out the arch look around and then you can ascend back out, then back to your jeeps and back to town. When you come out of the chamber turn right up the next slot and you can climb back up a shelve and out. It is a little exposed but once the first guy gets out he can tie a hand line to the tree for the rest. Several of the members from the jeep club will take people out there and set up a handline and climb down to see the arch and then climb back out.

We do this alot with scouts they rappel in to the chamber then they climb out and hike around and rappel again. Works great for a big group who wants to do a cool rappel several times but they do not want to have the logistics of rappeling off of arch and hiking out the bottom.

Yea Granary is probably the best canyoneering activity in moab, but wheres Uranium Canyon? Who's got beta on this one? Sure would like to have another one in moab to do.
    Mark

Re: Moab in Feb. is outstanding - Granary & Medieval Cha

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    I can't find granary canyon on climb-utah.com. Is it under a different name there? Is it someplace besides the Moab section?

Fine day in Granary
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Moab in Feb. is outstanding - Granary & Medieval Cha

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    I can't find granary canyon on climb-utah.com. Is it under a different name there? Is it someplace besides the Moab section?
    Will be under the Moab section, should be up there soon from what I hear...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Heres a giveaway:

Uranium-

Wouldnt call Uranium a 'canyon'- but it was fun. Of course, I wouldnt call alot of the routes in Moab a 'canyon'

Ok that looks like Uranium Arch out on Sevenmile Rim? The pic is not quite clear enough to see the jeep trail on the south of the arch but thats my guess. If this is right other then rappelling off of the arch, which is a fun simul rappel what else is there?
    Mark

The google picture is Uranium Arch

38N 40' 34", 109W 42' 23"

Now the question.... care to share how you did it?

Or did you just rap through the arch?

We just simul-rapped the arch. Good fun, nice well maintained road right to it.

Devin should have some Uranium arch pics.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Devin should have some Uranium arch pics.
    I do

Here's a pic of my kids a couple of years ago on Uranium Arch. The view out the back of the arch is pretty nice. Wish that's what I saw out my window every morning.

Yea I know Helmet Police no helmets. They have helmets now.

Nice Mark

Here's another good one.

This should look familiar.

or this

Thats a nice pic of the onion.
    After you guys got done at Uranium did you just head back or did you head over to Monitor and Merrimac and then head down past determination tower and then out. That is a pretty scenic road.
    Mark