Thread: Marble Canyons: Cathedral, North Fork Badger, Sevenmile

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Marble Canyons: Cathedral, North Fork Badger, Sevenmile

Canyoneering in the Grand Canyon

Cathedral Wash

On Friday I wanted to get in a quick adventure before heading to camp. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to do this canyon, but ran most of the canyon except for: portions of down climbing, stopping to take some pictures, and a few places to enjoy the scenery. I was in a rush, and it may have been too fast to enjoy the scenery.

Beta I had lists the trailhead 2 miles down the turn off for Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

North Fork of Badger Canyon

Saturday was the main group day. One group would descend Jackass canyon on the Navajo side (permit required to hike on Navajo land, please respect this to ensure continued access). They would bring down the pack rafts, life jackets, & permit. The other group would descend the north arm of Badger Canyon and leave fixed ropes. We would meet upstream of Badger rapids cross the canyon, group going up Jackass would take the boats & permit, and group going up Badger would ascend the fixed ropes and haul them out.

I selected to go down Badger Canyon with Ram, Rich, Lauri, and Bill. Badger had pretty narrows and well defined layers of sandstone. The first dryfall is bypassed on the right and the canyon immediately starts to narrow. Shortly after that is the first rappel fallowed by another rappel. Rich set up the first anchor and the next two down set up a meet anchor for Bill and me. I noticed the second rappel could be down-climbed easily, but with high penalty points if you slipped. Bill took this as a challenge and climbed up the wall to say hi to Rich setting the anchor for the second rappel. One shelf towards the top of the rappel would require a partner assist. As he was downclimbing to join Ram and I, Bill slipped on the steep vertical portion of the wall. Ram and I remember it happening in slow motion and thinking it

Sevenmile

Sevenmile Draw

Sunday, everyone was going to be doing epic long day adventures. One of those

Hey Trackrunner, it was nice meeting you there at the group convergence in Badger. I hope our large group didn't slow you down any. Great TR and pictures. Crossing the Colorado in those tiny rafts looked like a real hoot. I am going to have to give it a try next time. We saw you guys upriver preping for the crossing . From our vantage it looked easy but from your description it sounded real edgy. Great Fun!!
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Thanks for the TR and pics. The next time I read a canyon TR from my cubicle I may have to take a sick-with-envy day.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de
    Hey Trackrunner, it was nice meeting you there at the group convergence in Badger. I hope our large group didn't slow you down any.
    We wanted to make sure the rope was set up good for the group ascening up. I was shocked at how fast we moved the group when three lines got set up. I was wating my turn to go down the meet anchor and Rich yelled to me and said there all down come use his anchor.

Crossing the Colorado in those tiny rafts looked like a real hoot. I am going to have to give it a try next time. We saw you guys upriver preping for the crossing . From our vantage it looked easy but from your description it sounded real edgy. Great Fun!!
    It wasn't too bad. I was nervous to padle a small "boat" and maybe took the first part too strong and probably tired from that. I got worried when I wasn't making progress in the strongest current. The rapids were far enough away, but when your not making progress and you know you have to or else your going into the rapids, you start to worry then.

What an absolutely awesome looking trip!

Thanks for sharing - I really would like to see that area some day.

Very cool to see such tight canyons made of the upper GC geologic layers. Is this Coconino SS?

Brings back memories of floating through there on a commercial GC trip for my 10th wedding anniversary. I told my friends we were going an on a "cruise".